lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!



Post New Thread  Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-17-2013, 01:20 PM   #1
Younger Than Dirt
 
hookm's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: North Myrtle Beach SC
Posts: 2,031
Default CVT 06 vs Comet 780

I'm thinking about getting a CVT 06 from CPP for my cart,CC 16hp V-twin,I'm running a 780 Comet now & have the Comet driven from Tom.
Has anyone done this swap & how much improvement will I get? I all ready think it will be better,I just need to know from someone that has actually done the change.
I've run the 780 for 4 yrs & it's been tuned by Tom once,takes a licking & keeps on ticking.Thanks hookm
hookm is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

__________________
This advertising will not be shown in this way to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum
   
Unread 02-17-2013, 01:36 PM   #2
maintaining a low profile
 
Dave in VA's Avatar
Yamaha
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SW Virginia USA
Posts: 4,458
Default Re: CVT 06 vs Comet 780

Well, you know that I like mine
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2013, 02:40 PM   #3
Raised by coyotes
 
Flintrock's Avatar
Yamaha
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 5,632
Default Re: CVT 06 vs Comet 780

I ran the Comet 94C before I got the CVTech, difference is night and day, no comparison. The 06 hooks up much stronger and gets you to speed faster. I actually think it runs faster top end, but didn't think to measure. I know the 780 is a little bigger clutch than the 94, but it's still a spider design. I think the roller is just a better clutch.........
Flintrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2013, 04:47 PM   #4
Vegas modded 420
 
sho305's Avatar
Yamaha
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: West MI
Posts: 13,813
Default Re: CVT 06 vs Comet 780

I was wanting the powerblock, but hard to find info on the Tech clutches and differences of them. Not drilled into the details yet but that one comes on the BB kit at CPP and price is not much different. I also need a taper clutch and will have to fab up a pulley.

Hope you are doing well Hookm!

Also plan to work over the cvt and see if I can get more overdrive out of it, once I get the new clutch in there. I must be around 32gps or something at least, the stock clone would go 31gps not checked this one. I did some work on the stock primary to push the belt up but then it was worn so much it had a ledge at the top preventing it. I took part of it off going to take more, but can't gps it in the snow lol. Check my build thread in clones I posted a snow video.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2013, 07:57 PM   #5
Younger Than Dirt
 
hookm's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: North Myrtle Beach SC
Posts: 2,031
Default Re: CVT 06 vs Comet 780

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho305 View Post
I was wanting the powerblock, but hard to find info on the Tech clutches and differences of them. Not drilled into the details yet but that one comes on the BB kit at CPP and price is not much different. I also need a taper clutch and will have to fab up a pulley.

Hope you are doing well Hookm!

Also plan to work over the cvt and see if I can get more overdrive out of it, once I get the new clutch in there. I must be around 32gps or something at least, the stock clone would go 31gps not checked this one. I did some work on the stock primary to push the belt up but then it was worn so much it had a ledge at the top preventing it. I took part of it off going to take more, but can't gps it in the snow lol. Check my build thread in clones I posted a snow video.
Thanks Sho,I'm doing well,just waiting on warm weather,it snowed here last night.My garage is heated but I like to open the doors,suppose to be in the 60-70s next week.
hookm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2013, 08:45 PM   #6
Vegas modded 420
 
sho305's Avatar
Yamaha
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: West MI
Posts: 13,813
Default Re: CVT 06 vs Comet 780

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookm View Post
Thanks Sho,I'm doing well,just waiting on warm weather,it snowed here last night.My garage is heated but I like to open the doors,suppose to be in the 60-70s next week.
Me too but it was in the 20s this weekend. Make sure you check my new video to see what you are missing. It was 18F in the video my fingers were hurting after that.

I'd also like to know more about the clutches, mostly how they work out and tune on carts.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 02:02 PM   #7
Gone Wild
 
rvkersh's Avatar
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Dansville, NY
Posts: 393
Default Re: CVT 06 vs Comet 780

The CV-tech clutch is 7 1/2" O.D. the 780 is only 7". Your stock clutch is 7 1/2", so the 780 actually robs top end speed. The CV-tech does shift faster.
rvkersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 04:07 PM   #8
Younger Than Dirt
 
hookm's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: North Myrtle Beach SC
Posts: 2,031
Default Re: CVT 06 vs Comet 780

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvkersh View Post
The CV-tech clutch is 7 1/2" O.D. the 780 is only 7". Your stock clutch is 7 1/2", so the 780 actually robs top end speed. The CV-tech does shift faster.
Thanks rv
hookm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 05:22 PM   #9
Not your usual outlaw
 
essness's Avatar
Yamaha
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Near Lake Geneva, WI
Posts: 19,854
Default Re: CVT 06 vs Comet 780

I never ran a Comet on mine so, I may not be qualified to answer but I do have the CV Tech Trailbloc from Tom and I love it. It hits hard when I want and gives clean acceleration through the entire band
essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 05:24 PM   #10
Younger Than Dirt
 
hookm's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: North Myrtle Beach SC
Posts: 2,031
Default Re: CVT 06 vs Comet 780

Quote:
Originally Posted by essness View Post
I never ran a Comet on mine so, I may not be qualified to answer but I do have the CV Tech Trailbloc from Tom and I love it. It hits hard when I want and gives clean acceleration through the entire band
Thanks Ess,I'll probably order it next week
hookm is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!


Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Comet 780 or 94c Clone Engine Swaps
G2 comet on a G1 ? Gas Yamaha
NIB Comet 780 Golf Carts and Parts
Comet 780 Big Block Talk!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:32 AM.


Club Car Electric | EZGO Electric | Lifted Golf Carts | Gas EZGO | Used Golf Carts and Parts

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.