lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center > Body and Paint


Post New Thread  Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-15-2011, 10:11 AM   #1
Gone Wild
 
carguymn's Avatar
Mixed Breed
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Lake Park, IA
Posts: 296
Default Paint removal??

I have a G9 that someone did a VERY poor rattle can paint job on it. I want to remove it and repaint.

What is the best way to strip the paint from the plastic body panels?

Thanks
carguymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

__________________
This advertising will not be shown in this way to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum
   
Unread 09-15-2011, 02:13 PM   #2
Not Yet Wild
 
evcrawfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 21
Default Re: Paint removal??

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguymn View Post
I have a G9 that someone did a VERY poor rattle can paint job on it. I want to remove it and repaint.

What is the best way to strip the paint from the plastic body panels?

Thanks
i just got finished doing this, had same problem.... best way i found was to use a heat gun (i got the 20 dollar cheapie from harbor freight), heat a small area, just for a second or two, (don't get the plastic too hot of course, it will melt), then the paint will come right up. i used a metal wood chisel, but if i had a plastic window ice scrapper that would have worked. gotta be EXTREMELY careful not to gouge the plastic.

took me a few days, not sure how many hours, i just worked on it here and there as time and other obligations permitted.

good luck
evcrawfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2011, 03:36 PM   #3
Gone Wild
 
carguymn's Avatar
Mixed Breed
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Lake Park, IA
Posts: 296
Default Re: Paint removal??

Quote:
Originally Posted by evcrawfish View Post
i just got finished doing this, had same problem.... best way i found was to use a heat gun (i got the 20 dollar cheapie from harbor freight), heat a small area, just for a second or two, (don't get the plastic too hot of course, it will melt), then the paint will come right up. i used a metal wood chisel, but if i had a plastic window ice scrapper that would have worked. gotta be EXTREMELY careful not to gouge the plastic.

took me a few days, not sure how many hours, i just worked on it here and there as time and other obligations permitted.

good luck
Thanks for the info. I was thinking that would work.
carguymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2011, 03:50 PM   #4
Not Yet Wild
 
KARTMANX's Avatar
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tampa Bay
Posts: 37
Default Re: Paint removal??

Another option is to palm sand. once you get it fairly smooth and even you can prime it well with a good urathane high build primer. It will seal all the paint underneath and give you a good stong base to block, wet sand a refinish.
KARTMANX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2011, 05:56 PM   #5
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3
Default Re: Paint removal??

Strip all rattle can paint off. You wouldn't build a house on sand would you. Paint too needs a good foundation to last and look good. You could wet sand rattle can off if you have no way to power sand. Either way it's gonna be time consuming.Good paint jobs aren't cheap and cheap paint jobs aren't usually good.
KTeasal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2011, 12:44 PM   #6
Gone Wild
 
carguymn's Avatar
Mixed Breed
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Lake Park, IA
Posts: 296
Default Re: Paint removal??

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTeasal View Post
Strip all rattle can paint off. You wouldn't build a house on sand would you. Paint too needs a good foundation to last and look good. You could wet sand rattle can off if you have no way to power sand. Either way it's gonna be time consuming.Good paint jobs aren't cheap and cheap paint jobs aren't usually good.

I am planning on having a good foundation, that is why I was asking for tips/ideas that others have used to remove paint from the plastic body without damaging it.

It looks like the best way is the old fashioned way..... Elbow Grease!!
carguymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2011, 07:16 PM   #7
Bad *** Speller!
 
ckiguy's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 1,338
Default Re: Paint removal??

i dont think the paint will stick to grease to well! i was alwas told clean of oil, GREASE, and all other contaminents! ha ha ha! i agree wit the others, sand and prep! im wondering though if some aircraft stripper wont help out. but im not real sure how it will handle on the plastic. but im pretty sure it will still have to get sanded after the stripping. but not as much as the plain sanding method. either way time and prep!
ckiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2011, 08:30 PM   #8
Not Yet Wild
 
evcrawfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 21
Default Re: Paint removal??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckiguy View Post
i dont think the paint will stick to grease to well! i was alwas told clean of oil, GREASE, and all other contaminents! ha ha ha! i agree wit the others, sand and prep! im wondering though if some aircraft stripper wont help out. but im not real sure how it will handle on the plastic. but im pretty sure it will still have to get sanded after the stripping. but not as much as the plain sanding method. either way time and prep!
IMHO. NO chemical strippers. a heat gun works just fine, and no clean up afterwards besides getting all the old paint off the ground.

THEN sand prep paint etc...

YMMV
evcrawfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2011, 03:16 PM   #9
Gone Wild
 
carguymn's Avatar
Mixed Breed
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Lake Park, IA
Posts: 296
Default Re: Paint removal??

Got a few hours of sanding and painting in today. Went with a flat camo scheme. (hides the flaws better)
carguymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2011, 08:15 PM   #10
Bad *** Speller!
 
ckiguy's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 1,338
Default Re: Paint removal??

no problems if yuo put a plastic sheet down crwfish! it drips on it and you just roll it up and chuck it!
ckiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center > Body and Paint


Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
paint removal Design Center
paint removal Body and Paint
how much paint do i need Gas Club Car
Going to paint! Gas Yamaha
paint shop paint Body and Paint


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:58 PM.


Club Car Electric | EZGO Electric | Lifted Golf Carts | Gas EZGO | Used Golf Carts and Parts

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.