lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars



Post New Thread  Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-27-2014, 10:13 PM   #41
Gone Wild
 
Olman's Avatar
Yamaha
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Athens, Alabama
Posts: 755
Default Re: 48-Volt Battery Maintainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesam View Post
That article used "Walmart" to describe alternative chargers, so by definition the word diatribe simply came to mind. Many well educated battery experts criticize the concept of any pulse process "fixing" sulfation after-the-fact. Honestly I suspect they are right. A damaged battery is probably just that. But most (if not all of these maintainers) seem to think their particular pulse feature is a big deal. Not sure why, really. I do like the temperature compensation built into mine - that is a well understood concept and is a big deal to me because I store mine in cold temps.

The battery minder I use is priced at 75% of the cost of a Big/Smart charger, so its not really designed to be a cheap alternative - just an alternative.

The topic of battery maintainers seems to arrive on this site at almost exactly this time of year. A pretty lengthy link about these devices was started by me HERE about a year ago. There have been frequent updates and info from other users in and among other threads also.
I don't know if my pulse charger/maintainer/desulfator(advertised) does indeed help desulfate my pack or not. All I can say is for some reason, on two separate carts with 48 volt packs, (one with 8 6volts--one with 6 8 volts) the packs are in better shape both in at rest voltage and voltage after repeated equal runs. This is after extended use time of the pulse charger.
I don't care if it costs 10% or 100% of what my big Yamaha charger costs as long as it does the job I want it to. This one does the job for me and at $75 bucks and shipping = for me.
Olman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

__________________
This advertising will not be shown in this way to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum
   
Unread 11-28-2014, 12:12 AM   #42
Gone Wild
 
scooterman's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Lafayette, Louisiana
Posts: 1,641
Default Re: 48-Volt Battery Maintainer

Keeping the batteries topped off is the benefit of the maintainer, anything else is bonus.
scooterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2014, 11:05 AM   #43
Gone Wild
 
DaveTM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,845
Default Re: 48-Volt Battery Maintainer

Someone above spoke of the cold temps. I can tell you that here in SW Pa., I run my cart most of the winter. From temps that go in the mid 60's to in the high teens for the day's "highs". So, keeping my batt's charged are a priority for me. In fact, yesterday I purchased a Honda 2000 generator. Why? Because I hunt on top of some BIG mountains that have some pretty steep up hill roads cut in 'em. Bears, coyotes and deer are the quarry. Now, I have made these mountains (these are the small ones) before, but my trips on top get a bit limited. So, now with the portable generator, and my charger, I can park the cart while I hunt for 2 or 3 hours and let it charge up. That will extend my range quite a bit and keep me from being concerned about "how close to the sun can I get before my wing's do melt".

Dave
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2014, 02:08 PM   #44
Gone Wild
 
bsa_bob's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: mich
Posts: 592
Default Re: 48-Volt Battery Maintainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTM View Post
Someone above spoke of the cold temps. I can tell you that here in SW Pa., I run my cart most of the winter. From temps that go in the mid 60's to in the high teens for the day's "highs". So, keeping my batt's charged are a priority for me. In fact, yesterday I purchased a Honda 2000 generator. Why? Because I hunt on top of some BIG mountains that have some pretty steep up hill roads cut in 'em. Bears, coyotes and deer are the quarry. Now, I have made these mountains (these are the small ones) before, but my trips on top get a bit limited. So, now with the portable generator, and my charger, I can park the cart while I hunt for 2 or 3 hours and let it charge up. That will extend my range quite a bit and keep me from being concerned about "how close to the sun can I get before my wing's do melt".

Dave

:mrgree n:
bsa_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2014, 02:10 PM   #45
Gone Wild
 
bsa_bob's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: mich
Posts: 592
Default Re: 48-Volt Battery Maintainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olman View Post
I don't know if my pulse charger/maintainer/desulfator(advertised) does indeed help desulfate my pack or not. All I can say is for some reason, on two separate carts with 48 volt packs, (one with 8 6volts--one with 6 8 volts) the packs are in better shape both in at rest voltage and voltage after repeated equal runs. This is after extended use time of the pulse charger.
I don't care if it costs 10% or 100% of what my big Yamaha charger costs as long as it does the job I want it to. This one does the job for me and at $75 bucks and shipping = for me.
where'd you get it for$75.00 an shipping?//
bsa_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2014, 02:25 PM   #46
Gone Wild
 
Olman's Avatar
Yamaha
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Athens, Alabama
Posts: 755
Default Re: 48-Volt Battery Maintainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsa_bob View Post
where'd you get it for$75.00 an shipping?//
I got it at the place I gave you the link to in post 35. Looks like they are out of stock at the moment. When I bought mine they had a free shipping promotion going on.
Olman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2014, 11:21 AM   #47
Not Yet Wild
 
pat5000's Avatar
Yamaha
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 68
Default Re: 48-Volt Battery Maintainer

I am also not in anyway recommending this method Just sharing my own experience. I have a 2013 48volt Yamaha Drive with ptv code, OEM 48volt charger, 48volt battery minder charger/maintainer, I use my battery minder on short trips Less then 5 miles usually about 2mi and I would say the battery minder does such a great job Doing a complete near 100% charge that on a 2 mile trip the OEM charger thinks the batteries are fully charged and the light turns green immediately when plugged in and turns itself off. Then I plug in the battery minder and It proceeds to fully charge the batteries at 125watts until fully charged and then maintains a full charge. ie I am able to see this with my (kill a watt meter) (that is why I use the battery minder only most of the time On short trips) on longer Trips 5+ mi or so I plug-in the OEM charger and it charges at 1000watts bulk and then go somewhere near 700watts and finishes charge at 325watts and then turns off with a greenlight Showing it's done charging. Then I plug-in my Battery minder the battery minder immediately goes into maintaining mode with Little to no charging. note the WATTS above were metered with a AC kill a watt meter ie that was how many watts being pulled from my 120ac outlet.
pat5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2014, 01:02 PM   #48
Gone Wild
 
gumpbuck's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Tampa Bay area
Posts: 220
Default Re: 48-Volt Battery Maintainer

Does anyone here keep the main charger and the batteryminder connected at the same time? Thay's what I've been doing so far. Is this right? The charger is connected as normal and I connect the clips from the minder to the pos and neg terminals of the pack.

Thoughts?
gumpbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2014, 01:14 PM   #49
Gone Wild
Yamaha
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Rio Verde, Az
Posts: 2,681
Default Re: 48-Volt Battery Maintainer

Do not do that!
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2014, 01:15 PM   #50
Gone Wild
 
scooterman's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Lafayette, Louisiana
Posts: 1,641
Default Re: 48-Volt Battery Maintainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumpbuck View Post
Does anyone here keep the main charger and the batteryminder connected at the same time? Thay's what I've been doing so far. Is this right? The charger is connected as normal and I connect the clips from the minder to the pos and neg terminals of the pack.

Thoughts?
I always fully charge mine with the original charger then disconnect it and plug the maintainer. I don't think it is necessary to leave the charger in because the maintainer will hold the state of charge.

I just got back from the camp and again the maintainer held the batteries at a higher state than the charger would. My issue is I have 4 12v batteries and with the area being so hilly I don't think they will last more than two three years. I'm thinking after two years I'll replace them with 6 8v batteries or maybe 8 6v batteries being the high demand I may want to add two more to get the most life out of them. I'm not sure how much longer life to expect from 8 6v batteries over 6 8v batts.
scooterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car


Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Battery Maintainer Electric Club Car
solar accessory battery maintainer Electric Club Car
Battery Maintainer Electric Club Car
Recommendations on a Battery Conditioner/Maintainer? Electric EZGO
2002 CC Battery Maintainer Electric Club Car


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:46 PM.


Club Car Electric | EZGO Electric | Lifted Golf Carts | Gas EZGO | Used Golf Carts and Parts

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.