lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars



Post New Thread  Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-18-2015, 10:06 AM   #1
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 40
Default Radio Question

Good morning all. Having the radio put in today and they asked me if I wanted the radio to work off the key (need the key on to work). So how does everybody on here does it? Would you rather have the radio work without or with the key?
Raybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

__________________
This advertising will not be shown in this way to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum
   
Unread 08-18-2015, 10:13 AM   #2
Old Sky Soldier
 
mrgolf's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 2,979
Default Re: Radio Question

Be careful. Just hooking to the key switch may burn you radio up. It needs to operate off 12 volt power supply.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2015, 10:21 AM   #3
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 40
Default Re: Radio Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgolf View Post
Be careful. Just hooking to the key switch may burn you radio up. It needs to operate off 12 volt power supply.
Thanks for the info. It will be off a 12 volt but should I have it where I need the key to turn the radio on?
Raybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2015, 10:28 AM   #4
Old Sky Soldier
 
mrgolf's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 2,979
Default Re: Radio Question

Does your 12volt power supply stay on when the key is off? If so I would hook it to the 12 volt and use the radio knob to turn it off. That way your presets will be saved.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2015, 10:33 AM   #5
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 40
Default Re: Radio Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgolf View Post
Does your 12volt power supply stay on when the key is off? If so I would hook it to the 12 volt and use the radio knob to turn it off. That way your presets will be saved.
Yes it does but I'm worried about someone messing with the radio and leaving it on when we aint at the campground.
Raybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2015, 10:56 AM   #6
Gone Wild
 
glassk's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Hampton, GA
Posts: 441
Default Re: Radio Question

I put my converter on a 48 volt relay that is on with key, so when the key is off no drain, my volt meter is to a battery so it's on all the time, presets should not be much of a drain to wire them on all the time,.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150721_145715_S Hampton Rd.jpg (177.1 KB, 0 views)
glassk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2015, 11:00 AM   #7
Old Sky Soldier
 
mrgolf's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 2,979
Default Re: Radio Question

You can use a 48 volt relay to connect the 12 volts to your radio with the key operating the relay. You could also connect the presets wire from the radio direct to the 12 volt power supply.

The relay is the same one used inside the pd-2 charger. Site sponsors sell them.

This way the radio would go off with the key, and your presets would stay.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2015, 11:32 AM   #8
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 40
Default Re: Radio Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassk View Post
I put my converter on a 48 volt relay that is on with key, so when the key is off no drain, my volt meter is to a battery so it's on all the time, presets should not be much of a drain to wire them on all the time,.
Thanks for the info
Raybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2015, 11:33 AM   #9
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 40
Default Re: Radio Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgolf View Post
You can use a 48 volt relay to connect the 12 volts to your radio with the key operating the relay. You could also connect the presets wire from the radio direct to the 12 volt power supply.

The relay is the same one used inside the pd-2 charger. Site sponsors sell them.

This way the radio would go off with the key, and your presets would stay.
Thanks for the info
Raybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car


Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Radio Question Electric EZGO
Radio console question Gas Yamaha
Radio question Gas EZGO
Another radio question Electric EZGO
radio question Electric EZGO


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:28 PM.


Club Car Electric | EZGO Electric | Lifted Golf Carts | Gas EZGO | Used Golf Carts and Parts

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.