lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars



Post New Thread  Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-01-2015, 09:00 PM   #1
Not Yet Wild
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 9
Default '02 DS fully charged, shudders, slow, & hot cables

Newbie here. We've recently developed an issue with our 2002 48V DS. The battery pack shows 51 volts but it shudders when accelerating and is quite slow. Step-daughter had been driving it and the orange cable from the forward/reverse switch was overheated.

I did some searching here and found this threads that seem to be relevant. Will be following the suggestions in the threads but thought I'd post here for support :-)

buggiesgonewild.com/electric-club-car/85465-2003-club-car-ds-runs-then-slows-crawl.html

buggiesgonewild.com/electric-club-car/92486-1999-ds-cart-wont-move.html

buggiesgonewild.com/electric-club-car/112836-2005-cc-ds-shuddered-now-slower-driving-slow-charge-jerky-speed.html

buggiesgonewild.com/electric-club-car/111970-did-i-fry-new-controller.html

buggiesgonewild.com/electric-club-car/24070-resetting-obc.html
mrdane is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

__________________
This advertising will not be shown in this way to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum
   
Unread 12-01-2015, 09:14 PM   #2
Old Sky Soldier
 
mrgolf's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 2,978
Default Re: '02 DS fully charged, shudders, slow, & hot cables

Anytime a cable overheats, there is a problem. Most likely need to replace that cable. Make sure all cables have good clean tight connections.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2015, 06:40 PM   #3
Not Yet Wild
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 9
Default Re: '02 DS fully charged, shudders, slow, & hot cables

Ok. Here's an update on what I've discovered so far:

Cable connections were all secure. Also, I should mention step-daughter had her boyfriend tow the cart a few days before these issues started.

Battery pack total voltage: 50.3 volts

All but one battery showed 8.4 volts, the other showed 8.3 volts. I used an electrolyte tester that used 4 floating balls to test each cell. All cells floated all four balls except for one cell on the low voltage battery. 3 floated and one was halfway sinking. Batteries are from 2012.

Measured resistance from the controller for the accelerator (green and yellow wires to the controller.) Initially reading was OL (open circuit). Even after I heard the solenoid click I still was seeing OL. Eventually, I was getting a highest reading of about 4300 and a low reading with the pedal all the way down of about 1055.

Voltage input on the controller was the same as the battery pack voltage.

Voltage output on the controller never got above 11 volts.

To those who know, any recommendations?
mrdane is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2015, 07:10 PM   #4
Cartsunlimited.net
 
scottyb's Avatar
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 64,079
Default Re: '02 DS fully charged, shudders, slow, & hot cables

Like you have a battery cell dropping out under load. Put the meter on the 8.3 battery and see what the voltage for this battery drops to under load.... preferably uphill.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2015, 07:12 PM   #5
Old Sky Soldier
 
mrgolf's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 2,978
Default Re: '02 DS fully charged, shudders, slow, & hot cables

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdane View Post
Ok. Here's an update on what I've discovered so far:

Cable connections were all secure. Also, I should mention step-daughter had her boyfriend tow the cart a few days before these issues started.

Battery pack total voltage: 50.3 volts

All but one battery showed 8.4 volts, the other showed 8.3 volts. I used an electrolyte tester that used 4 floating balls to test each cell. All cells floated all four balls except for one cell on the low voltage battery. 3 floated and one was halfway sinking. Batteries are from 2012.

Measured resistance from the controller for the accelerator (green and yellow wires to the controller.) Initially reading was OL (open circuit). Even after I heard the solenoid click I still was seeing OL. Eventually, I was getting a highest reading of about 4300 and a low reading with the pedal all the way down of about 1055.

Voltage input on the controller was the same as the battery pack voltage.

Voltage output on the controller never got above 11 volts.

To those who know, any recommendations?

Towing cart without putting run,tow switch in tow will kill the controller dead..
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2015, 09:37 PM   #6
Not Yet Wild
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 9
Default Re: '02 DS fully charged, shudders, slow, & hot cables

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgolf View Post
Towing cart without putting run,tow switch in tow will kill the controller dead..
Even if this is not a regen cart? Any way to confirm the controller is toast? And what do I look for in a replacement? Thanks
mrdane is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2015, 03:50 AM   #7
Old Sky Soldier
 
mrgolf's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 2,978
Default Re: '02 DS fully charged, shudders, slow, & hot cables

I was thinking it was regen. You need to load test the batteries like scoyyb said, then report what you find.

These guys need this information to tell which step you need to take next.

Anytime a cable gets hot and is the only one that is a bad cable or bad connection.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2015, 08:41 AM   #8
Not Yet Wild
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 9
Default Re: '02 DS fully charged, shudders, slow, & hot cables

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Like you have a battery cell dropping out under load. Put the meter on the 8.3 battery and see what the voltage for this battery drops to under load.... preferably uphill.
Ok. I checked voltage on this battery (and all the others) under a load. Under load it dropped to 7.6 volts as did all the other batteries when I checked them individually.

Would it make sense that if the controller isn't outputting full voltage that excessive amps are being drawn to make up the difference causing the cables to overheat?
mrdane is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2015, 08:53 AM   #9
Not Yet Wild
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 9
Default Re: '02 DS fully charged, shudders, slow, & hot cables

Should the accelerator drop lower than 1055 Ohms at full throttle? Or is that a good reading for full throttle?
mrdane is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2015, 05:45 PM   #10
Not Yet Wild
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 9
Default Re: '02 DS fully charged, shudders, slow, & hot cables

I spent a little more time today searching for loose cable connections. Nothing. They all are tight & secure. The motor seems to run quite hot. I'll have to shoot it with my temp gun from work tomorrow.
mrdane is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car


Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Ezgo fully charged but won't start Electric EZGO
Batteries are fully charged but no power Electric EZGO
48v pack 2 Batteries not fully charged Electric EZGO
G-19 fully charged - Suddenly died Electric Yamaha
Fully charged Electric Club Car


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:36 PM.


Club Car Electric | EZGO Electric | Lifted Golf Carts | Gas EZGO | Used Golf Carts and Parts

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.