lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars



Post New Thread  Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-31-2016, 07:47 AM   #1
Gone Wild
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 171
Default Brake Lights On??

2006 DS, iq cart...

I noticed the other day, with the key off, f/r switch in neutral, headlight pull-switch not pulled out/on, and the brake not depressed or the parking brake on - the rear brake lights were on. Is this normal?

They went off when I set the parking brake.
jbsmith05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

__________________
This advertising will not be shown in this way to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum
   
Unread 08-31-2016, 07:53 AM   #2
Gone Wild
 
dannyre's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Galveston, Texas
Posts: 408
Default Re: Brake Lights On??

The brake lights stay on when the brake is set or depressed, but your situation is opposite of normal....
dannyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2016, 08:22 AM   #3
Gone Wild
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 171
Default Re: Brake Lights On??

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyre View Post
The brake lights stay on when the brake is set or depressed, but your situation is opposite of normal....

This doesn't make sense to me - why would/should the brake lights be on when the parking brake is set. That would drain the battery over time and wear out the bulbs.
jbsmith05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2016, 08:47 AM   #4
Dawg Gone Wild
 
TahoeDawgZ71's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Golf Car Capital of The World... Augusta, Georgia
Posts: 7,360
Default Re: Brake Lights On??

There are two micro switches on that cart for the brake lights. One is under the floor. Typically, the bracket will get bent backwards by a stump and pull the plunger of the brake light micro switch away from the brake mechanism and make it stay on all the time. When the brakes are locked, the 2nd micro switch (behind the actual pedal) will open the circuit and turn the brake lights off so they don't stay on when you lock the brake. Check the bracket under the cart. You'll probably see that it's bent.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2016, 08:55 AM   #5
Gone Wild
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 171
Default Re: Brake Lights On??

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
There are two micro switches on that cart for the brake lights. One is under the floor. Typically, the bracket will get bent backwards by a stump and pull the plunger of the brake light micro switch away from the brake mechanism and make it stay on all the time. When the brakes are locked, the 2nd micro switch (behind the actual pedal) will open the circuit and turn the brake lights off so they don't stay on when you lock the brake. Check the bracket under the cart. You'll probably see that it's bent.

Thanks, I'll take a look tonight.

To be clear though - normal operation is that the brake lights should be off - if the brake pedal is not depressed or if the parking brake/lock is set. Is this regardless of key position and/or f/r switch position?
jbsmith05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2016, 01:47 PM   #6
Dawg Gone Wild
 
TahoeDawgZ71's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Golf Car Capital of The World... Augusta, Georgia
Posts: 7,360
Default Re: Brake Lights On??

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsmith05 View Post
Thanks, I'll take a look tonight.

To be clear though - normal operation is that the brake lights should be off - if the brake pedal is not depressed or if the parking brake/lock is set. Is this regardless of key position and/or f/r switch position?
Depends on whether or not there is a relay hooked to the keyswitch to kill the power to the brake lights when the key is off. Some have them and some don't.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2016, 07:15 PM   #7
Gone Wild
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 171
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
There are two micro switches on that cart for the brake lights. One is under the floor. Typically, the bracket will get bent backwards by a stump and pull the plunger of the brake light micro switch away from the brake mechanism and make it stay on all the time. When the brakes are locked, the 2nd micro switch (behind the actual pedal) will open the circuit and turn the brake lights off so they don't stay on when you lock the brake. Check the bracket under the cart. You'll probably see that it's bent.
So can you or someone take a picture of said micro switch? There is one on the parking brake that opens the circuit and the lights go off. Other than that I don't see one...and the brake lights are always on.

The wires in the below pictures seemingly just run to the back of the cart...at least they get past the batteries...that's as far as I traced them.







jbsmith05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2016, 07:35 PM   #8
Gone Wild
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 171
Default

@tahoe doing some digging it seems someone removed the whole switch. Do you have one I can purchase and instructions on how to wire it up?

jbsmith05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2016, 08:43 PM   #9
Gone Wild
 
dannyre's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Galveston, Texas
Posts: 408
Default Re: Brake Lights On??

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsmith05 View Post
This doesn't make sense to me - why would/should the brake lights be on when the parking brake is set. That would drain the battery over time and wear out the bulbs.
I agree totally, but my brake being set does activate the brake lights even when the headlights are off and the key is in the off position. If there is a simple fix, sure could use one...
dannyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2016, 09:07 PM   #10
Old Sky Soldier
 
mrgolf's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 2,694
Default Re: Brake Lights On??

Mine have a timer, my DS goes off in 30 sec. My precedent goes off in3-4 minutes. Have you checked to see if they go off if you leave the brake set and watch for a while.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car


Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Front Lights, Directional, Brake Lights not working Electric Club Car
Installing Blinkers/Brake Lights on Existing LED lights Electric EZGO
09 RXV - rear running lights/brake lights Electric EZGO
Wiring for Head ligths, Tail Lights, Brake Lights and Turn Signals Gas EZGO
Blew all lights, new tail lights wont get brighter on brake press. Electric Club Car


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:02 PM.


Club Car Electric | EZGO Electric | Lifted Golf Carts | Gas EZGO | Used Golf Carts and Parts

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.