lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars



Post New Thread  Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-06-2018, 07:48 PM   #1
Not Yet Wild
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 43
Default New battery charger keeps tripping house breaker?

So I just got the yewy charger and now after a few minutes it trips my house breaker.. itís a 15 amp.

The charger is 48v and 20 amps... but what I remember from ohms law would mean that itís considerably less amps at 120v.. but not sure if it makes a difference going from ac to dc

Anyone have similar issues?
Spoolx is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

__________________
This advertising will not be shown in this way to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum
   
Unread 12-06-2018, 07:50 PM   #2
Gone Wild
 
Z71mtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 243
Default Re: New battery charger keeps tripping house breaker?

It does matter. What does the tag say on the charger for the primary side?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Z71mtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2018, 08:16 PM   #3
Garnet & Gold Certified
 
NoleFan4Ever's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 7,310
Default Re: New battery charger keeps tripping house breaker?

I ~believe we had other members with this problem twice before and each time it was a 15a circuit and when moved to a 20a it worked fine.

Remember, most all your electrical circuits have many other areas, rooms, outlets, lights, etc. that could be on that very same circuit.....
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2018, 08:30 PM   #4
Not Yet Wild
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 43
Default Re: New battery charger keeps tripping house breaker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z71mtr View Post
It does matter. What does the tag say on the charger for the primary side?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Just says 120volts, no amp rating

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
I ~believe we had other members with this problem twice before and each time it was a 15a circuit and when moved to a 20a it worked fine.

Remember, most all your electrical circuits have many other areas, rooms, outlets, lights, etc. that could be on that very same circuit.....
This is a dedicated workbench with nothing else plugged in except one of those small harbor freight trickle chargers.
Spoolx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2018, 08:31 PM   #5
Gone Wild
 
Z71mtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 243
Default Re: New battery charger keeps tripping house breaker?

Send me a link to the exact charger you bought

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Z71mtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2018, 08:39 PM   #6
Garnet & Gold Certified
 
NoleFan4Ever's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 7,310
Default Re: New battery charger keeps tripping house breaker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoolx View Post
This is a dedicated workbench with nothing else plugged in except one of those small harbor freight trickle chargers.
Try a 20a circuit and pretty sure it will not trip anymore... ALL of my outlets are on 20a circuits and my lighting is on 15a. All of my chargers connect to 20a circuits and this same issue has came up before with the Yewey charger.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2018, 08:39 PM   #7
Gone Wild
 
yawood's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Melbourne Australia
Posts: 679
Default Re: New battery charger keeps tripping house breaker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoolx View Post
...This is a dedicated workbench with nothing else plugged in except one of those small harbor freight trickle chargers.
Unless you have multi-phase power (I think unlikely, but I'm not sure about the USA) then the circuit that provides power to the workbench will not only go to that workbench but to other rooms in the house to run the fridge etc. Make sure you don't have freezers, dishwashers, clothes washing machines, clothes driers, air-conditioners etc running at the same time and you might be OK.
yawood is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2018, 09:04 PM   #8
Not Yet Wild
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 43
Default Re: New battery charger keeps tripping house breaker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z71mtr View Post
Send me a link to the exact charger you bought

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
http://www.cartsunlimited.net/yewy-1...t-charger.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by yawood View Post
Unless you have multi-phase power (I think unlikely, but I'm not sure about the USA) then the circuit that provides power to the workbench will not only go to that workbench but to other rooms in the house to run the fridge etc. Make sure you don't have freezers, dishwashers, clothes washing machines, clothes driers, air-conditioners etc running at the same time and you might be OK.
I ran the circuit so I know itís dedicated...
I am contemplating just swapping the breaker but I donít remember what wire size I ran
Spoolx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2018, 09:04 PM   #9
Not Yet Wild
Club Car
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Lavon, TX
Posts: 70
Default Re: New battery charger keeps tripping house breaker?

I have the same charger and have no issues on a 15A outlet. That is a 1200W charger which will draw about 10A at the plug. You have something else on that same circuit/breaker that is drawing a significant load. When the breaker trips, see what else loses power that draws some amps and move to another circuit if possible. HTH
HaulnA$$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2018, 09:07 PM   #10
Gone Wild
 
Z71mtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 243
Default Re: New battery charger keeps tripping house breaker?

That's exactly why you shouldn't just simply upsize a breaker like some are suggesting. Need to know what size wire you ran so that you do not burn it up.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Z71mtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car


Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
EZGO 36V Charger Tripping Breaker Electric EZGO
Charger Tripping Breaker Electric Club Car
charger problems with breaker tripping Electric Club Car
48V charger keeps tripping 15A breaker Electric Yamaha
DPI 48 volt charger tripping house breaker Electric Yamaha


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:03 AM.


Club Car Electric | EZGO Electric | Lifted Golf Carts | Gas EZGO | Used Golf Carts and Parts

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.