lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars



Post New Thread  Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-15-2019, 08:45 AM   #1
Gone Wild
 
handtools's Avatar
Mixed Breed
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: S.E. Mi.
Posts: 343
Default What Type of Throttle Signal Does a 3 Wire Multi Step Potentiometer Have?

I am converting my 1999 DS resistor cart to solid state and have converted my v-glide to a 3 wire multistep potentiometer. My question is what type of throttle signal does it send to the controller now? 5k-0 is what I get between post 1 and post 9 with my multimeter but I am wondering what if anything changes when connecting post 2 to B- on the controller? I am using an Alltrax SPM 48500 controller and there is a throttle setting for "Club Car 5k-0 3wire throttle" which I am assuming is the correct one but we all know what happens when we "assume"

V-Glide converted to 3 wire multistep potentiometer.jpg
handtools is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

__________________
This advertising will not be shown in this way to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum
   
Unread 05-15-2019, 09:44 AM   #2
Gone Wild
 
Sergio's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 7,847
Default Re: What Type of Throttle Signal Does a 3 Wire Multi Step Potentiometer Have?

The confusion is that a 3-wire throttle provides a "Voltage Divider" signal and not a 0-5kΩ or 5k-0Ω which are 2-wire rheostat type throttle signals.


For 2-wire throttle signal:
Post #1 and #9 provide a 5k-0Ω throttle
Post #1 and #2 provide a 0-5kΩ throttle

For a 3-wire throttle signal:
post #2 goes to negative or B-
post #9 goes to the throttle power.
Post #1 provides the signal output that starts at 0v and goes to the voltage supplied by post #9.
To use what Alltrax refers to as "Club Car 5k-0 3wire throttle", You need to wire all three wires as described.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2019, 10:13 AM   #3
Gone Wild
 
handtools's Avatar
Mixed Breed
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: S.E. Mi.
Posts: 343
Default Re: What Type of Throttle Signal Does a 3 Wire Multi Step Potentiometer Have?

Thanks Sergio, so just to be clear, the SPM has a Hi throttle and Lo throttle connection, so post 1 to Lo throttle and post 9 to Hi throttle and post 2 to B- correct?

SPM 48500 Connections.jpg
handtools is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2019, 10:17 AM   #4
Gone Wild
 
Sergio's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 7,847
Default Re: What Type of Throttle Signal Does a 3 Wire Multi Step Potentiometer Have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by handtools View Post
Thanks Sergio, so just to be clear, the SPM has a Hi throttle and Lo throttle connection, so post 1 to Lo throttle and post 9 to Hi throttle and post 2 to B- correct?

Attachment 186271
You got it
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2019, 10:08 AM   #5
Not Yet Wild
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 49
Default Re: What Type of Throttle Signal Does a 3 Wire Multi Step Potentiometer Have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
The confusion is that a 3-wire throttle provides a "Voltage Divider" signal and not a 0-5kΩ or 5k-0Ω which are 2-wire rheostat type throttle signals.


For 2-wire throttle signal:
Post #1 and #9 provide a 5k-0Ω throttle
Post #1 and #2 provide a 0-5kΩ throttle

For a 3-wire throttle signal:
post #2 goes to negative or B-
post #9 goes to the throttle power.
Post #1 provides the signal output that starts at 0v and goes to the voltage supplied by post #9.
To use what Alltrax refers to as "Club Car 5k-0 3wire throttle", You need to wire all three wires as described.
Sergio,

I'm doing the same conversion to 48v but with a sr48500 controller 1993 club car DS that i have rewired the vglide to 3 wires with the following resistors

910Ω
750Ω
910Ω
1000Ω
1000Ω
1000Ω

where do i terminate the post #9 and post #1

thank you Sir
sand dune coon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2019, 10:29 AM   #6
Gone Wild
 
Sergio's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 7,847
Default Re: What Type of Throttle Signal Does a 3 Wire Multi Step Potentiometer Have?

On the Alltrax SR Controller:
Top of the Throttle, post #9 goes to J4
Throttle Wiper, post #1 goes to J5
Bottom of Throttle, post #2 goes to B-
I would also suggest not using a resistor to reduce the reverse speed, instead wire the reverse micro-switch to provide pack voltage to Controller J1 Blue terminal and use the Slider in the software to adjust the Reverse speed.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2019, 11:55 AM   #7
Not Yet Wild
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 49
Default Re: What Type of Throttle Signal Does a 3 Wire Multi Step Potentiometer Have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
On the Alltrax SR Controller:
Top of the Throttle, post #9 goes to J4
Throttle Wiper, post #1 goes to J5
Bottom of Throttle, post #2 goes to B-
I would also suggest not using a resistor to reduce the reverse speed, instead wire the reverse micro-switch to provide pack voltage to Controller J1 Blue terminal and use the Slider in the software to adjust the Reverse speed.
perfect thank you.. do my resistors values look right to you?

oh and im a little confused on the throttle setting on the controller,, 5k-0 or 0-5v?? im not quite understating that part.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FRUTB71J8KH0IT2.LARGE.jpg (40.7 KB, 0 views)
sand dune coon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2019, 12:43 PM   #8
Gone Wild
 
Sergio's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 7,847
Default Re: What Type of Throttle Signal Does a 3 Wire Multi Step Potentiometer Have?

When using a 3 wire throttle the total resistance is as not critical but the individual resistor values create the "steps" by which the throttle signal increases/decreases.

The 910Ω resistor should start at the post #2 and the 1000Ω end on post #9, that will give you a little more control at low speed.

I think what You need on that setting is the option "Club Car".
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2019, 04:55 PM   #9
Gone Wild
 
handtools's Avatar
Mixed Breed
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: S.E. Mi.
Posts: 343
Default Re: What Type of Throttle Signal Does a 3 Wire Multi Step Potentiometer Have?

With those resistor values my throttle works pretty smooth. I played with the throttle rates and curves in the toolkit until I got it how I liked it. I also wired my 1/2 speed reverse to the controller and set it thru the toolkit program. Good luck on your conversion, you'll love it!
handtools is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2019, 12:48 PM   #10
Not Yet Wild
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 49
Default Re: What Type of Throttle Signal Does a 3 Wire Multi Step Potentiometer Have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by handtools View Post
With those resistor values my throttle works pretty smooth. I played with the throttle rates and curves in the toolkit until I got it how I liked it. I also wired my 1/2 speed reverse to the controller and set it thru the toolkit program. Good luck on your conversion, you'll love it!
thank you both for the information.. regarding the reverse, just wire per the diagram and adjust speed with tool kit correct?

handtool, whats your top speed since the conversion?
sand dune coon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car


Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
CC 3 pin Multi Step Potentiometer V Glide Golf Carts and Parts
Multi-step Potentiometer for 95 CC Electric Club Car
Multi-Step Potentiometer versus MCOR1 Electric Club Car
97 club car multi-step potentiometer Electric Club Car
Multi Step Pot Casing Electric Club Car


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:36 AM.


Club Car Electric | EZGO Electric | Lifted Golf Carts | Gas EZGO | Used Golf Carts and Parts

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.