lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars



Post New Thread  Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-11-2009, 08:57 AM   #1
Not Yet Wild
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 59
Default 'State of Charge' meter - always on or switched ?

I currently have my SOCM (State of charge meter) switched off the ignition. Originally I was thinking that although the draw is minimal, if I'm not using the cart for a period of time (5 nights during the week), it's just extra draw-down on the batteries.

Immediately aftercharging the cart, voltage is (naturally) higher on the bank for a while. If I drive it during this time, the meter shows 'red', as I'm guessing it switches to 48V and indicates I'm waaaay under the acceptable threshold. After a while voltage falls back down to a normal level, and a keyswitch cycle will display properly.

Question: If I left the meter 'on' all the time, would I avoid this problem? Is the draw on the SOCM even enough to worry about, or should I just shut-up and drive the cart ? ;)

/Rhino.
rhinoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

__________________
This advertising will not be shown in this way to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum
   
Unread 05-11-2009, 12:39 PM   #2
Gone Crazy
 
buscopat's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Churubusco, IN
Posts: 2,161
Default Re: 'State of Charge' meter - always on or switched ?

Well Rhino,
I don't have an answer for you, but I am interested in the correct answer, and I see that you have given people plenty of choices for your answer.
Someone will wander by with the correct answer soon.
buscopat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2009, 03:40 PM   #3
Not Yet Wild
 
this_is_nascar's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Gloucester Hts., NJ
Posts: 44
Default Re: 'State of Charge' meter - always on or switched ?

Not quite sure what you're saying/asking. My meter comes on only after turning the key to the ON position. It stays on, until I turn the key OFF. Whenever I'm not actually using the cart, I keep the key in the OFF position, except for those times I'm motoring down to the restroom at the campground, then I leave it on while in there.
this_is_nascar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2009, 05:58 PM   #4
Ban Puppy Mills & Stores!
 
scubabud's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: SE Florida
Posts: 2,945
Default Re: 'State of Charge' meter - always on or switched ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinoman View Post
I currently have my SOCM (State of charge meter) switched off the ignition. Originally I was thinking that although the draw is minimal, if I'm not using the cart for a period of time (5 nights during the week), it's just extra draw-down on the batteries.

Immediately aftercharging the cart, voltage is (naturally) higher on the bank for a while. If I drive it during this time, the meter shows 'red', as I'm guessing it switches to 48V and indicates I'm waaaay under the acceptable threshold. After a while voltage falls back down to a normal level, and a keyswitch cycle will display properly.

Question: If I left the meter 'on' all the time, would I avoid this problem? Is the draw on the SOCM even enough to worry about, or should I just shut-up and drive the cart ? ;)

/Rhino.

Here is a thought… Just keep the key on and see if there are any different results, same as if you wired it that way.

Second, the draw is minimal.

Is this an LCD meter with Green, Yellow and Red? Mine will go to a blinking red light showing as if the pack is at 10% when really its 49+ volts after sitting for 10-15 miutes and tested with a digital gauge. That’s why I use a built in digital meter instead of the “PRETTY” but useless LCD meter I purchased first and blew $50 on.
scubabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2009, 08:31 PM   #5
just hangin' around
 
oxfordlawn's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Oxford Flo-Rida
Posts: 1,102
Default Re: 'State of Charge' meter - always on or switched ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinoman View Post
I currently have my SOCM (State of charge meter) switched off the ignition. Originally I was thinking that although the draw is minimal, if I'm not using the cart for a period of time (5 nights during the week), it's just extra draw-down on the batteries.

Immediately aftercharging the cart, voltage is (naturally) higher on the bank for a while. If I drive it during this time, the meter shows 'red', as I'm guessing it switches to 48V and indicates I'm waaaay under the acceptable threshold. After a while voltage falls back down to a normal level, and a keyswitch cycle will display properly.

Question: If I left the meter 'on' all the time, would I avoid this problem? Is the draw on the SOCM even enough to worry about, or should I just shut-up and drive the cart ? ;)

/Rhino.
No, it is normal for the meter to drop off while using the cart and driving around, pack voltages and will give true reading after a few minutes of inactivity. A battery pack is considered dead at 48 V, but when accelerating hard or climbing a hill, the pack voltage sags to 48 or even 47 sometimes, making the meter fall to red...again so that is normal, the true reading is after a few minutes of sitting still.

If its already switched off the key, leave it alone, thats fine, in fact thats great... and that will not effect the drop down while driving, its just showing what it is seeing
oxfordlawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2009, 08:32 PM   #6
just hangin' around
 
oxfordlawn's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Oxford Flo-Rida
Posts: 1,102
Default Re: 'State of Charge' meter - always on or switched ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubabud View Post
Here is a thought… Just keep the key on and see if there are any different results, same as if you wired it that way.

Second, the draw is minimal.

Is this an LCD meter with Green, Yellow and Red? Mine will go to a blinking red light showing as if the pack is at 10% when really its 49+ volts after sitting for 10-15 miutes and tested with a digital gauge. That’s why I use a built in digital meter instead of the “PRETTY” but useless LCD meter I purchased first and blew $50 on.

Yeah but you and I both know that LED meter is "shure perty" aint she
oxfordlawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2009, 09:40 AM   #7
Not Yet Wild
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 59
Default Re: 'State of Charge' meter - always on or switched ?

This is the unit I installed: LCD Meter

Oh yeah, it's pretty... I'd love to find and install an actual voltage meter as well. My main issue is such that 'gauge meter' is 36V/48V, and auto-senses to the 48V range when I turn the key on after charging. I'll leave it on and see what happens. Will have to do it at night so the kids don't get on the cart though.

Rhino
rhinoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2009, 09:47 AM   #8
Ban Puppy Mills & Stores!
 
scubabud's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: SE Florida
Posts: 2,945
Default Re: 'State of Charge' meter - always on or switched ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinoman View Post
This is the unit I installed: LCD Meter

Oh yeah, it's pretty... I'd love to find and install an actual voltage meter as well. My main issue is such that 'gauge meter' is 36V/48V, and auto-senses to the 48V range when I turn the key on after charging. I'll leave it on and see what happens. Will have to do it at night so the kids don't get on the cart though.

Rhino
The link for the LCD doesn't show anymore on eBay. Got a picture of it or another link?

Sorry, it works now!
scubabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2009, 09:58 AM   #9
Not Yet Wild
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 59
Default Re: 'State of Charge' meter - always on or switched ?

Updated the link. Working now ?
rhinoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2009, 10:04 AM   #10
Ban Puppy Mills & Stores!
 
scubabud's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: SE Florida
Posts: 2,945
Default Re: 'State of Charge' meter - always on or switched ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinoman View Post
Updated the link. Working now ?
Sorry, the link in your thread works now!
scubabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
battery, charge, state of charge meter
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car


Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
EZ GO wiring in state of charge meter 36 Volt Electric EZGO
Voltmeter vs. State of Charge Meter Electric EZGO
98 ezgo charge meter not showing actual charge Electric EZGO
another state of charge meter question? Electric EZGO
State of charge meter Electric EZGO


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:07 PM.


Club Car Electric | EZGO Electric | Lifted Golf Carts | Gas EZGO | Used Golf Carts and Parts

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.