lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars



Post New Thread  Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-15-2009, 10:17 PM   #1
Gone Wild
 
Extractor's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 479
Exclamation Need help changing my gears!! I'm STUCK!!

I am installing the new 6:1 gears. I took the differential case apart and got the bearings off the two shafts and installed the large ring gear replacement. Easy so far until I got to replacing the smaller intermediate gear... See the first pic, there is a groove that hold a locking pin of sorts to prevent rotation of the gear (??) So, who knows how to get this gear off? Just a bearing press will do it? How does that little tiny square piece of metal come out of that groove?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3275.jpg (48.1 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3276.jpg (42.5 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3274.jpg (53.7 KB, 15 views)
Extractor is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

__________________
This advertising will not be shown in this way to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum
   
Unread 06-15-2009, 10:31 PM   #2
Not Yet Wild
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 53
Default Re: Need help changing my gears!! I'm STUCK!!

That's a woodruff key. It causes the gear to turn the shaft without any slippage. Do not remove remove the woodruff key. The gear will slide off the key. If the gear is pressed on it will take a press to remove it. A machine shop can do it for you or maybe your Club Car shop if you have one near. It's no big deal. It is also possible a gear puller may work if it isn't too tight. The new gear will need to be pressed on as well.
rdaystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2009, 11:00 PM   #3
Gone Wild
 
Extractor's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 479
Default Re: Need help changing my gears!! I'm STUCK!!

Thanks! I'll put the 10lb hammer away. It just didn't look like the gear would come off without that woodruff key in place but hey... learned something new again. Off to NAPA again tomorrow!
Extractor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2009, 11:06 PM   #4
just hangin' around
 
oxfordlawn's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Oxford Flo-Rida
Posts: 1,102
Default Re: Need help changing my gears!! I'm STUCK!!

Most auto repair shops also have a press that could easily do that. Thats an easy on/off press, nothing tricky there. The guys at an auto shop would probably love to do something different like that, I know we would have. Cars have hub bearings that constantly go bad and need to be pressed out of the spindles or off the axles to be replaced. look for a local small garage and stop in, you will probably be surprised at how fast they jump on that
oxfordlawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2009, 11:16 PM   #5
Gone Wild
 
Extractor's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 479
Default Re: Need help changing my gears!! I'm STUCK!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxfordlawn View Post
Most auto repair shops also have a press that could easily do that. Thats an easy on/off press, nothing tricky there. The guys at an auto shop would probably love to do something different like that, I know we would have. Cars have hub bearings that constantly go bad and need to be pressed out of the spindles or off the axles to be replaced. look for a local small garage and stop in, you will probably be surprised at how fast they jump on that

Nice! Yeah, the guy at the machine shop at NAPA seemed like he really didn't want to be bothered when I asked him to take the bearings off. Don't mean to disturb anyone and have them actually work...silly me...
Good advice, I'm trying a new place.
Extractor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2009, 12:07 AM   #6
just hangin' around
 
oxfordlawn's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Oxford Flo-Rida
Posts: 1,102
Default Re: Need help changing my gears!! I'm STUCK!!

Just a second thought here, If it has a keyway, it may not be pressed on that tightly. Why dont you try supporting the large gear with some wood blocks or similiar as close to the centr as possible. Take a hammer and try driving with a punch in that centering hole on the shaft and see if the gear budges. A small amount of heat wouldnt hurt it either(I said small).. If this works you can take a large socket or pipe that fits just over the shaft and drive the gear back on. Just make sure you are supporting the shaft only, not resting on the bearing if there is one. Try it, you have nothing to lose. Thats some heavy metal, your not going to bend anything too easily.
oxfordlawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2009, 12:13 AM   #7
Gone Wild
 
dirtysouth's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: P-COLA
Posts: 1,176
Smile Re: Need help changing my gears!! I'm STUCK!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxfordlawn View Post
Just a second thought here, If it has a keyway, it may not be pressed on that tightly. Why dont you try supporting the large gear with some wood blocks or similiar as close to the centr as possible. Take a hammer and try driving with a punch in that centering hole on the shaft and see if the gear budges. A small amount of heat wouldnt hurt it either(I said small).. If this works you can take a large socket or pipe that fits just over the shaft and drive the gear back on. Just make sure you are supporting the shaft only, not resting on the bearing if there is one. Try it, you have nothing to lose. Thats some heavy metal, your not going to bend anything too easily.
YOU DA MAN!!!
dirtysouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2009, 12:23 AM   #8
Ban Puppy Mills & Stores!
 
scubabud's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: SE Florida
Posts: 2,945
Default Re: Need help changing my gears!! I'm STUCK!!

Did you get a new bearing as well or will you be using the existing one that's currently on the assembly, (center picture,)? If you didn't get a new one then you'll have to press off that bearing as well and that would be a bit trickery so as not to mess it up.
scubabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2009, 01:11 AM   #9
Not Yet Wild
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 53
Default Re: Need help changing my gears!! I'm STUCK!!

Honestly I have not seen gears pressed on that have a woodruff key. I said that it may need pressing in my first post but I can't tell without working on it myself. Motorcycle shops have presses for that stuff too. We're talking about a five minute job here. I would keep the heat away from it as well as hammers and punches.
rdaystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2009, 08:59 AM   #10
just hangin' around
 
oxfordlawn's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Oxford Flo-Rida
Posts: 1,102
Default Re: Need help changing my gears!! I'm STUCK!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubabud View Post
Did you get a new bearing as well or will you be using the existing one that's currently on the assembly, (center picture,)? If you didn't get a new one then you'll have to press off that bearing as well and that would be a bit trickery so as not to mess it up.
yeah you wouldn't be able to get the bearing off without a special plate that goes under the bearing, and clamps on to grab just under the center main part of the bearing, it doesnt touch the cage that holds in the rollers. But I thought I read somewhere he had the bearings pressed off at NAPA already from a grumpy guy that didn't want to work
oxfordlawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car


Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Stuck motor Electric Club Car
G9 Yamaha stuck in high Electric Yamaha
STUCK!! Big Block Talk!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:04 AM.


Club Car Electric | EZGO Electric | Lifted Golf Carts | Gas EZGO | Used Golf Carts and Parts

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.