lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars



Post New Thread  Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-26-2010, 09:03 AM   #1
Not Yet Wild
Club Car
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 66
Default Painting body and top of '01 CC

I removed the body from my cart yesterday and will be taking it to a local auto body shop for painting later today. The shop owner said they will use an adhesion promoter to help the paint adhere to the plastic panels. Does auto paint also adhere to the top well?

Also, are there any concerns or precautions I should take when re-installing the newly painted panels (probably two days after painting)? My buddy will be helping me install them to prevent scratching/chipping the new paint.

BTW, removing the body was much easier than I thought it would be. The small screws in the front trim ring only need to be loosened a little bit as someone else posted in an earlier thread on this subject. I'm glad I read that before I removed them! So far I only have to replace the four corroded bolts & nuts that hold the rear body section to the frame due to corrosion, the christmas tree clips for the scuff panels and bag well liner and the two front plastic rivets.
Loosewire is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

__________________
This advertising will not be shown in this way to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum
   
Unread 04-26-2010, 09:09 AM   #2
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eldon Missouri
Posts: 977
Default Re: Painting body and top of '01 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loosewire View Post
I removed the body from my cart yesterday and will be taking it to a local auto body shop for painting later today. The shop owner said they will use an adhesion promoter to help the paint adhere to the plastic panels. Does auto paint also adhere to the top well?

Also, are there any concerns or precautions I should take when re-installing the newly painted panels (probably two days after painting)? My buddy will be helping me install them to prevent scratching/chipping the new paint.

BTW, removing the body was much easier than I thought it would be. The small screws in the front trim ring only need to be loosened a little bit as someone else posted in an earlier thread on this subject. I'm glad I read that before I removed them! So far I only have to replace the four corroded bolts & nuts that hold the rear body section to the frame due to corrosion, the christmas tree clips for the scuff panels and bag well liner and the two front plastic rivets.
Check out the "Design center" forum, sub category "body and paint" All your questions will be answered in the posts there.

Chris.
invalidsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2010, 10:56 AM   #3
Not Yet Wild
Club Car
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 66
Default Re: Painting body and top of '01 CC

FWIW, the body shop guy did not even want to touch the top and the folks at the cart shop said the CC top I have is not a very good candidate for painting per their limited success from previous attempts to paint one. Oh well....
Loosewire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2010, 04:11 PM   #4
Not Yet Wild
 
Zeusdafreak's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Greenville,Ms
Posts: 68
Default Re: Painting body and top of '01 CC

I would love to have a black 2000.5 and up top. I wonder if they even make them in black. I was also told that painting the plastic top was not the best idea by our local paint expert. I'm sure it can be done but they do not want to do it because it isn't as durable as it should be.
Zeusdafreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2010, 05:19 PM   #5
Gone Wild
 
golfcarfixer's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: DELAWARE
Posts: 2,656
Default Re: Painting body and top of '01 CC

Its plastic just like the body.I dont know why it would make ant difference.I painted a top about 3yrs ago and I used adhesion promotor and its stlll on there.
golfcarfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2010, 05:41 PM   #6
Not Yet Wild
Club Car
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 66
Default Re: Painting body and top of '01 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfcarfixer View Post
Its plastic just like the body.I dont know why it would make ant difference.I painted a top about 3yrs ago and I used adhesion promotor and its stlll on there.
You know...I wondered the same thing!
Loosewire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2010, 10:43 PM   #7
Not Yet Wild
 
Zeusdafreak's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Greenville,Ms
Posts: 68
Default Re: Painting body and top of '01 CC

Could be that my painter just didn't want to fool with it.
Zeusdafreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2010, 12:24 AM   #8
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Liberty Lake, WA
Posts: 479
Default Re: Painting body and top of '01 CC

Painting the top is no big problem if you take time to prepare it.
Check with a marine or auto paint supply house for the proper primer and paint- Clean-clean-clean and apply two light coats of primer followed by two/three light coats of color, being careful not to "puddle" the rough or pebbled surface. Consider a semi-gloss black. It looks cool and is easier to keep the pebbled surface clean. I have now painted three tops and all are holding up fine.
dcannow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2010, 12:44 AM   #9
Not Yet Wild
 
Zeusdafreak's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Greenville,Ms
Posts: 68
Default Re: Painting body and top of '01 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcannow View Post
Painting the top is no big problem if you take time to prepare it.
Check with a marine or auto paint supply house for the proper primer and paint- Clean-clean-clean and apply two light coats of primer followed by two/three light coats of color, being careful not to "puddle" the rough or pebbled surface. Consider a semi-gloss black. It looks cool and is easier to keep the pebbled surface clean. I have now painted three tops and all are holding up fine.
There you go. They are paintable if someone takes their time and knows what they are doing. My painter either didn't want to fool with it or didn't figure I wanted to pay for what it takes to get it right. I wish you could come and paint mine. I bet it would look killer!
Zeusdafreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2010, 12:54 AM   #10
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Liberty Lake, WA
Posts: 479
Default Re: Painting body and top of '01 CC

I would be happy to paint it for you--just a six-pac of Coronas and a Big Mac would cover it. Of course the mileage cost would be a killer :
dcannow is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car


Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
green body or camo dipped body Electric Club Car
Painting my G-9 Gas Yamaha
Painting Body - Bagwell Liner? Gas EZGO
Painting a Polaris Body Design Center
G9 body removal for painting Gas Yamaha


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:16 AM.


Club Car Electric | EZGO Electric | Lifted Golf Carts | Gas EZGO | Used Golf Carts and Parts

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.