lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars



Post New Thread  Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-13-2008, 09:59 AM   #1
Getting Wild
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 85
Default Charging Habits

This one might be even more stupid than my last question... but I'll ask anyway.

How often do you all charge your carts? Do you leave it plugged in any time you're not riding it? Or is it like a cell phone where you should only charge it when it needs it and when it is completely drained?

Thanks.
hawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

__________________
This advertising will not be shown in this way to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum
   
Unread 03-13-2008, 02:59 PM   #2
Getting Wild
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 90
Default Re: Charging Habits

Charge the batteries EVERY time you use it. The batteries only hold
what you put in it. DO NOT leave them in a run-down state or the plates
will sulfate due to the acid that goes inside the lead just sitting there.
You need to charge to run the acid back out of the lead.
Big Bump is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2008, 05:51 PM   #3
Gone Wild
 
mikesmotortoys's Avatar
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Rockwall, Texas (Dallas / Ft. Worth)
Posts: 7,077
Default Re: Charging Habits

OK to charge every time you use it BUT, don't get into the habit of just leaving the charger plugged in after the charge cycle is up. An unfortunate flaw in the automatic chargers of today is that if you get a power outage, or power spike, that it can restart your charger. Most battery problems we get in our shop is from carts getting charged too much and no one is thinking to check water levels. A good set of batteries can be charged one time and still remain fully charged a month, or more, later. If your batteries will not hold a charge, then they should be replaced. I'll argue this with anyone - hands down.

Charging often is OK, ONLY if you are checking water levels often. The charging process is where and when you loose the majority of water.

Factory EZGO - Bad Boy Buggy - Dixie Chopper Mowers
mikesmotortoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2008, 08:45 PM   #4
Sometime's............
 
smallblock450sl's Avatar
Yamaha
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Tacoma Washington
Posts: 10,694
Default Re: Charging Habits

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesmotortoys View Post
OK to charge every time you use it BUT, don't get into the habit of just leaving the charger plugged in after the charge cycle is up. An unfortunate flaw in the automatic chargers of today is that if you get a power outage, or power spike, that it can restart your charger. Most battery problems we get in our shop is from carts getting charged too much and no one is thinking to check water levels. A good set of batteries can be charged one time and still remain fully charged a month, or more, later. If your batteries will not hold a charge, then they should be replaced. I'll argue this with anyone - hands down.

Charging often is OK, ONLY if you are checking water levels often. The charging process is where and when you loose the majority of water.
Good advice. My question in your post, with an fully automatic charger, if you get a power outage or spike and the charger stops ... that it "CAN"T" restart without "ac" power restored and unplugging and replugging the charger to restart the proscess. Like I said "good advice" just (in my opinion) worded wrong for the average user. By the way..Have you had the customer say.....NO ONE TOLD ME TO PUT WATER IN THE BATTERIES? Later Dave
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2008, 09:20 PM   #5
Gone Wild
 
mikesmotortoys's Avatar
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Rockwall, Texas (Dallas / Ft. Worth)
Posts: 7,077
Default Re: Charging Habits

LOL - Every one that comes in with DRY batteries says that. Let me correct myself. If the charger is plugged into the cart, a charging cycle has completed and there is a power outage, yes, the automatic charger will still turn itself back on. As the transformer is re-energized, it will sense voltage from the cart and assume that it has just been plugged in (even though it (charger plug)) was never actually removed.

Factory EZGO - Bad Boy Buggy - Dixie Chopper Mowers
mikesmotortoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2008, 10:10 PM   #6
Not Yet Wild
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4
Default Re: Charging Habits

I am new to the golf cart seen. but my charger is a transformer style, and I can set the hours for it to charge. what is a recommended lenght of time to full charge the bartteries?
burntup is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2008, 10:32 PM   #7
Cartsunlimited.net
 
scottyb's Avatar
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 64,063
Default Re: Charging Habits

Quote:
Originally Posted by burntup View Post
I am new to the golf cart seen. but my charger is a transformer style, and I can set the hours for it to charge. what is a recommended lenght of time to full charge the bartteries?
Depends on the state of discharge and age of your batteries as well as the amperage of the charger and finally wether or not your timed charger also has features such as 3 stage charging and auto shutoff.....do you have a voltmeter? Owners manual? make and model of charger?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2008, 01:53 AM   #8
Just me. .
 
phasetim's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Pensacola, FL
Posts: 1,092
Default Re: Charging Habits

Quote:
As the transformer is re-energized, it will sense voltage from the cart and assume that it has just been plugged in (even though it (charger plug)) was never actually removed.

True on an ez-go, false on a club car.. Try it... go unplug a finished club car charger, plug it back in a day later it wont turn on.. Powerdrive chargers don't turn on until the computer says so, computers wont turn a charger back on until the car has moved. A.C. in a club car charger doesn't turn the car on, The relay is powered by a D.C. wire coming in from the computer.
phasetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2008, 07:20 AM   #9
Cartsunlimited.net
 
scottyb's Avatar
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 64,063
Default Re: Charging Habits

Good Info, there!
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2008, 09:03 AM   #10
Getting Wild
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 85
Default Re: Charging Habits

Quote:
Originally Posted by phasetim View Post
True on an ez-go, false on a club car.. Try it... go unplug a finished club car charger, plug it back in a day later it wont turn on.. Powerdrive chargers don't turn on until the computer says so, computers wont turn a charger back on until the car has moved. A.C. in a club car charger doesn't turn the car on, The relay is powered by a D.C. wire coming in from the computer.
So if Iunderstand you correctly... leaving a Club Car pluuged into the charger won't overcharge it even in the event of a power outage/surge? The computer will still tell the charger it doesn't need a charge and therefore the charger won't charge?

Just making sure I understand. Thanks for the info.
hawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car


Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
A 48v charging problem Electric Club Car
charging problem Gas Club Car
charging 48, 60, 72 volts Extreme DC!
marathon charging? Gas EZGO
charging problem Electric Yamaha


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:08 PM.


Club Car Electric | EZGO Electric | Lifted Golf Carts | Gas EZGO | Used Golf Carts and Parts

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.