lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars



Post New Thread  Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-27-2010, 01:21 AM   #11
Cartsunlimited.net
 
scottyb's Avatar
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 64,079
Default Re: Cable Installation Results?

NO ... do not substitute 12v battery cables for 36 or 48v cable. They are very different. Some sponsors sell pre-made cables and some custom make cable sets.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

__________________
This advertising will not be shown in this way to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum
   
Unread 11-27-2010, 09:26 AM   #12
Not Yet Wild
 
ackjay's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Greensburg, Indiana
Posts: 27
Default Re: Cable Installation Results?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
NO ... do not substitute 12v battery cables for 36 or 48v cable. They are very different. Some sponsors sell pre-made cables and some custom make cable sets.
Understood scottyb!

Thanks again
ackjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2010, 07:13 PM   #13
Stay thirsty my friends!
 
gornoman's Avatar
Mixed Breed
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Suburban Chicago
Posts: 25,039
Default Re: Cable Installation Results?

You want high strand-count welding cable.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2010, 07:56 PM   #14
Gone Wild
 
easydoesit's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Mia, Fl.
Posts: 421
Default Re: Cable Installation Results?

Looks tempting, don't do it. Not high strand and pvc insulation instead of flexible rubber. Not very flexible.
easydoesit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2010, 08:09 PM   #15
Not Yet Wild
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 31
Default Re: Cable Installation Results?

i just picked up 12 feet of stinger fine strand copper 1/0 wire
free from a buddies stereo shop
ill be using that for the new cart as soon as i pick it up this week
i dont think the 1/0 will ever get warm much less hot
Fishman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2010, 08:21 PM   #16
Gone Wild
 
easydoesit's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Mia, Fl.
Posts: 421
Default Re: Cable Installation Results?

hopefully its flexible enough to hook up to stock controller. But if you manage, will do the job..
easydoesit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2010, 08:51 PM   #17
Cartsunlimited.net
 
scottyb's Avatar
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 64,079
Default Re: Cable Installation Results?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishman7 View Post
i just picked up 12 feet of stinger fine strand copper 1/0 wire
free from a buddies stereo shop
ill be using that for the new cart as soon as i pick it up this week
i dont think the 1/0 will ever get warm much less hot
The jacket on stereo cable is not as suited as the 'fuel and acid resistant' jacket on welding cable. I have seen that stereo stuff turn rotten in less than a year.

A battery bay is a very harsh environment.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2010, 06:42 AM   #18
Not Yet Wild
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 31
Default Re: Cable Installation Results?

Holy crap
i had better tell the 2 runs of 1/0 that run in my super duty's engine bay and under the truck for over 4 years that it wont last
you may have experience with cheap swap shop cables but the higher end cables id have to disagree
i guess ill have to do my own home tests expose the jacket to straight acid
welders cable is designed to be drug around coiled and bent several times but not to installed in a engine bay so id have to think that its equally or possibly less suited for this application i dont have much exposure to welders cable

ill let you know in a week how the jacket holds up to both battery acid and just for the hell of it muratic acid ( i have some for my pool)
Fishman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2010, 08:20 AM   #19
Stay thirsty my friends!
 
gornoman's Avatar
Mixed Breed
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Suburban Chicago
Posts: 25,039
Default Re: Cable Installation Results?

Every few months someone comes along and wants to use MonsterCable for their sparky cart. We tell them it's not suited to the application, that it will NOT resist the constant battery gassing, and they use it anyway. Good luck with your cart down the road....
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2010, 09:40 AM   #20
Cartsunlimited.net
 
scottyb's Avatar
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 64,079
Default Re: Cable Installation Results?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishman7 View Post
Holy crap
i had better tell the 2 runs of 1/0 that run in my super duty's engine bay and under the truck for over 4 years that it wont last
you may have experience with cheap swap shop cables but the higher end cables id have to disagree
i guess ill have to do my own home tests expose the jacket to straight acid
welders cable is designed to be drug around coiled and bent several times but not to installed in a engine bay so id have to think that its equally or possibly less suited for this application i dont have much exposure to welders cable

ill let you know in a week how the jacket holds up to both battery acid and just for the hell of it muratic acid ( i have some for my pool)
Your pick up truck and your DC cart have very little in common...
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car


Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
CC DS 48 volt mod results Electric Club Car
A necessary distraction with very rewarding results! Design Center
Show me your dyno results Extreme DC!
GPS results with new motor and controller Lifted Golf Carts
One charger - two carts - different results Electric EZGO


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:47 PM.


Club Car Electric | EZGO Electric | Lifted Golf Carts | Gas EZGO | Used Golf Carts and Parts

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.