lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars



Post New Thread  Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2011, 12:46 PM   #1
Not Yet Wild
Club Car
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 21
Red face 7.8 Volts on All 6 Trojan T-875s ? Help?

I am new to this forum, but lots of experience on others. Never would have believed 5 years ago there would be these awesome online communities for DIYers like me!

OK....an older electric Club Car five years ago...3 years ago replaced all six batteries with Trojan 875s . . . New OBC 2 months later . . . Everybody happy and rolling. But now, buggie charges to fill, but red light on dash flashes infrequently (on for five seconds, off for 5 minutes) . .

On a full charged, get about 500 yards at speed a, then slows down,a then shakes to a stop. Recharge, do it over again.

Had my charger checked out at dealer....works great on his new carts.

Bought a multimeter. Checked all six batteries with full charge and charger still on it . . . All six batteries measured 7.8 volts . . . Supposed to read around 9.3 . . . I thought I was looking for one dead battery a . . . But all six each and everyone at 7.8, each and everyone seems suspicious to me . . .

Could all six 3-year-old batteries all go bad at exactly the same time?

Suggestions on how to move forward? What to check? What to do?

I am partially disabled and this is my short ride (300 yards and back) down to a lake to fish once or twice a week to get me and my stuff down to the dock. I have had to resort to a riding lawn mower and metal trailer. Demoralizing when my neighbors see me!

All suggestions for a Modest DIYer appreciated!
Rhetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

__________________
This advertising will not be shown in this way to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum
   
Old 04-28-2011, 01:13 PM   #2
The Last Moja Morani
 
shadowman's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: jumping from cart to cart
Posts: 8,973
Default Re: 7.8 Volts on All 6 Trojan T-875s ? Help?

1st welcome, theres not much to say if they are truely at 7.8 than they are bad, its uncommon for a trojen to go bad at that age if they were well maintained..........if you already know the voltage and you want to confirm than check all cells with a hydrometer and than load test each one, your cell readings should be 1.25 to 1.50 for every cell and all cells should read real close to each other.........did you maintain them? did you do a good job? i only ask because its odd for them not to last..............what is the date code on them?..................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 02:43 PM   #3
Not Yet Wild
Club Car
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 21
Default Re: 7.8 Volts on All 6 Trojan T-875s ? Help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
1st welcome, theres not much to say if they are truely at 7.8 than they are bad, its uncommon for a trojen to go bad at that age if they were well maintained..........if you already know the voltage and you want to confirm than check all cells with a hydrometer and than load test each one, your cell readings should be 1.25 to 1.50 for every cell and all cells should read real close to each other.........did you maintain them? did you do a good job? i only ask because its odd for them not to last..............what is the date code on them?..................................
Maintained, but not manic about it.

Just seems bizarre that all six are at almost exactly 7.8 volts...no variation.

No stichers on the batteries replaced by dealer 3 years ago...my wallet felt it. Was planning to replace what I thought w ould be one bad battery, not six going bad at exactly the same time.

What about resetting the OBC which I have read about? Would that have an impact?

Just intuitively thinking here...could it be some charging deficiency, even though I know the charger is good?
Rhetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 03:00 PM   #4
Getting Wild
 
ajbrown's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Villages, FL
Posts: 144
Default Re: 7.8 Volts on All 6 Trojan T-875s ? Help?

Please see my signature :)

I agree it sounds strange that six go at once unless they are all dry .

Does the charger shut off? How long does it run before it shuts off, the full 16 hours?

Does the charge cycle ever get to the point where the AMPs on the charger panel are down to 5-6 AMPS? If yes, what are the voltages of the batteries at this point?

Good luck....
ajbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 03:22 PM   #5
Carts Unlimited
 
scottyb's Avatar
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: So Cal
Posts: 50,423
Default Re: 7.8 Volts on All 6 Trojan T-875s ? Help?

This may be an obc problem. I would try an obc bypass and manually bring the pack up to 63 volts and let it sit 12 hours, then give us a reading if you can?

OBC bypass & Test =
The black wire coming out of charge receptacle has a yellow fuse holder, open it up and connect a jumper from the end coming out of receptacle to the negative on Battery 6 or the last one in series.


You can either do this or bypass the relay inside the charger, either way the charger will not shut off. Be prepared to monitor and shut off the charger when needed.
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 07:15 PM   #6
Not Yet Wild
Club Car
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 21
Default Re: 7.8 Volts on All 6 Trojan T-875s ? Help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
This may be an obc problem. I would try an obc bypass and manually bring the pack up to 63 volts and let it sit 12 hours, then give us a reading if you can?

OBC bypass & Test =
The black wire coming out of charge receptacle has a yellow fuse holder, open it up and connect a jumper from the end coming out of receptacle to the negative on Battery 6 or the last one in series.


You can either do this or bypass the relay inside the charger, either way the charger will not shut off. Be prepared to monitor and shut off the charger when needed.
Thanks, all . . .

I am going to try the OBC reset in the sticky here.

Then, i will try the bypass.

Could the OBC need resetting because it is somehow limiting the charge to 7.8 volts on all six batteries?

Why does resetting the OBC (mine is only two years old) actually do or is supposed to acomplish? Yes, I am a noob . . . but I love to learn!!!
Rhetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 07:59 PM   #7
Carts Unlimited
 
scottyb's Avatar
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: So Cal
Posts: 50,423
Default Re: 7.8 Volts on All 6 Trojan T-875s ? Help?

I have only seen an obc reset actually correct a problem one time.... Your mileage may vary
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 08:35 PM   #8
Stay thirsty my friends!
 
gornoman's Avatar
Mixed Breed
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Suburban Chicago
Posts: 22,781
Default Re: 7.8 Volts on All 6 Trojan T-875s ? Help?

OK, hold the phone here. Let's first determine if the charger is getting amps to the pack. Take a pack voltage reading BEFORE starting the charger, and another reading while the charger is engaged and humming. If the reading does not jump up when on the charger you have a simple issue.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 04:03 PM   #9
Not Yet Wild
Club Car
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 21
Default Re: 7.8 Volts on All 6 Trojan T-875s ? Help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbrown View Post
Please see my signature :)

I agree it sounds strange that six go at once unless they are all dry .

Does the charger shut off? How long does it run before it shuts off, the full 16 hours?

Does the charge cycle ever get to the point where the AMPs on the charger panel are down to 5-6 AMPS? If yes, what are the voltages of the batteries at this point?

Good luck....
Love your signature.

Never dry...kept distilled water in them at all times... hot in GA.

Charger shuts on and off appropriately...empty to full charge in about 12 hours...died 4 times (down to death shake from full charge in 300 yards the four times I have tried to drive it to the dock). Had the charger checked out at dealer; it's good. Tried my Batterytender trickle charger too...same result.

Have only checked the batteries on full charge.... All six, each time the same....all six exactly the same.... 7.85 volts.

Did the OBC reset last night, put on charger overnight...just checked.... 7.85 volts on each of the 6 batteries...so OBC reset didn't help.

When the cart goes for 300 yars and then shakes and dies, for 200 yards it screams. Then drag it back.

Charger needles pegs to the right, then starts charging. Goes off at times (as a test I was told) then comes right back on till charge is full.

I have two battery lights on dash . . . a line meter from - to +, and then a red light on the dash . . . which intermittantly comes on AFTER the charger has filled the batteries . . . red light comes on, then charger starts again and red light goes off. Then red light comes on after the charger has completed charging . . . red light comes on once in a while after it is off the charger and the cart is parked and the keys is off . . . like a warning to "charge me."

Any of that make sense?
Rhetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 04:19 PM   #10
Not Yet Wild
Club Car
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 21
Default Re: 7.8 Volts on All 6 Trojan T-875s ? Help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gornoman View Post
OK, hold the phone here. Let's first determine if the charger is getting amps to the pack. Take a pack voltage reading BEFORE starting the charger, and another reading while the charger is engaged and humming. If the reading does not jump up when on the charger you have a simple issue.
Hummm . . . it must be . . . drive it 200 hundred yards screaming after a full charge, slows down to a shake and stop in the next hundred. Tow it back to the house . . . put it on charger . . . a few hours later . . . I can scream down the road for another two hundred yards . . .

I will run it again, drag it back, and then check the volts . . . and check it intermittently while it is charging . . . what should I see?

What is your idea of "a simple issue"?
Rhetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car


Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Trojan T-875`s Golf Carts and Parts
36 volts..12 volts accessories..?? Electric Club Car
08' trojan 6-volts Golf Carts and Parts
From Trojan T-860 to T-875 ? Electric Club Car
5yr old T-875s....still good? Electric Club Car


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:10 PM.


Club Car Electric | EZGO Electric | Lifted Golf Carts | Gas EZGO | Used Golf Carts and Parts

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.