lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars



Post New Thread  Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-18-2011, 09:03 PM   #21
Gone Wild
Club Car
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 600
Default Re: 95 C.C. rewired to 4ga

found this on another site

I believe curtis recommends a precharge resistor of 750 ohms at 10 watts. However the specific resistance isn't terribly critical; anything anywhere near 1K ohms would do the job; as long as the wattage was in the range of 10.

Alternatively, a 15 watt, 110V light bulb apparently works well too.
__________________
gaminde is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

__________________
This advertising will not be shown in this way to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum
   
Unread 06-18-2011, 09:07 PM   #22
Gone Wild
Club Car
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 600
Default Re: 95 C.C. rewired to 4ga

Another on line site


Precharge

A design guide to DC precharge circuits.

When initially connecting a battery to a load with capacitive input, there is an inrush of current as the load capacitance is charged up to the battery voltage. With large batteries (with a low source resistance) and powerful loads (with large capacitors across the input), the inrush current can easily peak 1000 A.
A precharge circuit limits that inrush current, without limiting the operating current.

A precharge circuit between a battery and its load is required if any of the following are issues:

The load has input capacitors will be damaged by the inrush current
The main fuse will blow if asked to carry the inrush current
The contactors, if present, will be damaged by the inrush current
The battery cells are not rated for the inrush current
gaminde is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2011, 09:26 PM   #23
Gone Wild
 
sonicj's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Panama City, FL
Posts: 1,408
Default Re: 95 C.C. rewired to 4ga

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaminde View Post
Ok same thing, if the caps are pre_charged then less arching at the relay and high ohm would be fine just to keep the caps loaded. No reason to use all your juice on a resistor doing no work.

do you know what the resistance and wattage of a stock resistor is ???
curtis shows a 250Ω 5W for the common 1204/1205 series of controllers.

changing the resistor value won't change the quiescent power consumption at rest. it will change the rate at which the caps are allowed to charge/recover.
-sj
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture-29.jpg (31.6 KB, 5 views)
sonicj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2011, 09:47 PM   #24
Gone Wild
 
sonicj's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Panama City, FL
Posts: 1,408
Default Re: 95 C.C. rewired to 4ga

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaminde View Post
Another on line site


Precharge

A design guide to DC precharge circuits.

When initially connecting a battery to a load with capacitive input, there is an inrush of current as the load capacitance is charged up to the battery voltage. With large batteries (with a low source resistance) and powerful loads (with large capacitors across the input), the inrush current can easily peak 1000 A.
A precharge circuit limits that inrush current, without limiting the operating current.

A precharge circuit between a battery and its load is required if any of the following are issues:

The load has input capacitors will be damaged by the inrush current
The main fuse will blow if asked to carry the inrush current
The contactors, if present, will be damaged by the inrush current
The battery cells are not rated for the inrush current
good info!

fwiw, i do not have a pre-charge resistor on my cart. reason being, i have no in-rush current. my controller, stays hardwired to the batteries 24/7 and i use a reversing contactor for making/breaking the interlock system. the only time i use a pre-charge resistor is when re-connecting the batteries after they have been disconnected for maintenance.

the energy stored in the caps dissipates surprisingly quick! you have to immediately connect the batteries after pre-charging or else you get a big @$$ lightning bolt when the lug contacts the post!
-sj
sonicj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2011, 09:48 PM   #25
Cartsunlimited.net
 
scottyb's Avatar
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 64,060
Default Re: 95 C.C. rewired to 4ga

What is this!? Engineering students gone wild????

Since the beginning 36v systems have used a 250 ohm 5w resistor and 48v systems have used a 470 ohm 10w resistors. Period. ...... Is there a problem the rest of us are not aware of with this suddenly? .....
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2011, 09:55 PM   #26
Not Yet Wild
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 12
Default Re: 95 C.C. rewired to 4ga

no but I can count the color bands when i find a conversion chart.
jack condon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2011, 10:43 PM   #27
The Last Moja Morani
 
shadowman's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: jumping from cart to cart
Posts: 8,975
Default Re: 95 C.C. rewired to 4ga

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
What is this!? Engineering students gone wild????

Since the beginning 36v systems have used a 250 ohm 5w resistor and 48v systems have used a 470 ohm 10w resistors. Period. ...... Is there a problem the rest of us are not aware of with this suddenly? .....


your reading my mind.....i should have stayed at camp.........................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2011, 11:06 PM   #28
Gone Wild
Club Car
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 600
Default Re: 95 C.C. rewired to 4ga

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicj View Post
good info!

fwiw, i do not have a pre-charge resistor on my cart. reason being, i have no in-rush current. my controller,
-sj
Sonicj you have to be running more than 2 volts for a resistor
gaminde is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car


Thread Tools
Display Modes



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:26 AM.


Club Car Electric | EZGO Electric | Lifted Golf Carts | Gas EZGO | Used Golf Carts and Parts

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.