Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/)
-   Electric Club Car (http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/electric-club-car/)
-   -   Installing a volt meter on an '07 Precedent (http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/electric-club-car/51732-installing-volt-meter-07-precedent.html)

Stevec3201 07-23-2011 09:52 AM

Installing a volt meter on an '07 Precedent
 
Hi Guys, Does anybody know the best way to hook up my new 48V digital :mrgreen: meter to my cart? It has 4 wires (I'm guessing 2 for power and 2 for the pack voltage?) I will install it in the dash, near the key. My cart has lights, if that is a factor...Thanks, in advance.
Steve

shadowman 07-23-2011 10:45 AM

Re: Installing a volt meter on an '07 Precedent
 
no directions with it? what make is it and what color wires....is the #,rd meter or bargraph type.............................8)

Stevec3201 07-23-2011 11:21 AM

Re: Installing a volt meter on an '07 Precedent
 
Got it off fleabay for like $7 direct from China. It looks nice, has a blue LED readout and is designed for 48 volt applications. It runs on 10-15 volts. It has one of the following: red, black, white and blue. I'm sure that the red/black are to power the meter and the other two go to the pack. I was just wondering where is the best (easiest) place to make those connections.

gaminde 07-23-2011 11:50 AM

Re: Installing a volt meter on an '07 Precedent
 
Here is something you need to check some meters of this type need separate power source than the one there reading check this first

dougmcp 07-23-2011 11:54 AM

Re: Installing a volt meter on an '07 Precedent
 
You can use a common ground on the meter and the other 2 wires go to the converter and the ignition switch.
I would pitch that one and get one of these 2 wire meters: http://www.fcbelectronicsusa.com/ser...all-12v/Detail

shadowman 07-23-2011 11:57 AM

Re: Installing a volt meter on an '07 Precedent
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevec3201 (Post 597141)
Got it off fleabay for like $7 direct from China. It looks nice, has a blue LED readout and is designed for 48 volt applications. It runs on 10-15 volts. It has one of the following: red, black, white and blue. I'm sure that the red/black are to power the meter and the other two go to the pack. I was just wondering where is the best (easiest) place to make those connections.



thats a lot of voltage to run it when you figure the one i have runs on 3 milla volts and is a 2 wire that that is good for 99.9 volts or there abouts.....4 wires? should only need 2 wires to power and light it..........best place would be in the dash.....do you have a link i could look at.....................8)

dougmcp 07-23-2011 12:52 PM

Re: Installing a volt meter on an '07 Precedent
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by shadowman (Post 597159)
thats a lot of voltage to run it when you figure the one i have runs on 3 milla volts and is a 2 wire that that is good for 99.9 volts or there abouts.....4 wires? should only need 2 wires to power and light it..........best place would be in the dash.....do you have a link i could look at.....................8)

If you have a Datel meter, they operate on a variable voltage of 36v-75v with a built in voltage reducer to probably 5v or so.
Some meters are called self-powered and do it internally like the Datel meter and the one I use and some use an external connection like the eBay one.
All digital meters require power of some sort to light the LED and have a small milliamp draw as a consequence.

gsp041 07-23-2011 01:01 PM

Re: Installing a volt meter on an '07 Precedent
 
I have a digital meter that I got from Scotty B that only has 2 connections. There are 2 wires in the dash that are there in the factory wiring harness to connect a factory state of charge meter. It was an easy install.
Bob

Stevec3201 07-23-2011 01:41 PM

Re: Installing a volt meter on an '07 Precedent
 
Shadow, Here is the link to the meter. There are no directions...I'll be playing with it during the next couple of days.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions!


http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...E:L:OC:US:1123

scubabud 07-23-2011 02:27 PM

Re: Installing a volt meter on an '07 Precedent
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevec3201 (Post 597118)
Hi Guys, Does anybody know the best way to hook up my new 48V digital :mrgreen: meter to my cart? It has 4 wires (I'm guessing 2 for power and 2 for the pack voltage?) I will install it in the dash, near the key. My cart has lights, if that is a factor...Thanks, in advance.
Steve

The +red and -black are the power to the meter taken from a 12 volt source.

The green will be the +48 volt source. Use the black lead between the red and green wire only for ground. Look at the picture on the eBay listing showing the big red "X".

But... you can use your light switch as a 12 volt source inside the dash and the key switch as the 48 volt source.

The meters are junk and you'll be purchasing a Datel meter soon enough... The eBay meters are not water proof, condensation proof and not designed to handle long term use. I speak from many meters installed experience. I kinda started the digital meter install a while back... many purchased the cheap ebay versions also... then most of us just went for the BEST digital meter out there... the Datel... only 2 wires and completely water proof!

Original thread: http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...installed.html


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:41 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
This Website and forum is the property of Buggiesgonewild.com. No material may be taken or duplicated in part or full without prior written consent of the owners of buggiesgonewild.com. 2006-2017 Buggiesgonewild.com. All rights reserved.