lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars



Post New Thread  Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-27-2011, 07:46 PM   #11
Gone Wild
 
erict's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: East Michigan
Posts: 1,305
Default Re: 400 amp fuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Yes, it blew the fuse? Didn't stop the fire from happening though did it? The reason I was asking is because I have seen controller failures, & motors fail and blow the controller, & I have seen batteries blown up .... but i have never seen one of those fuses blown.
I had asked that in the other thread because I wondered the same thing. If a controller failure didn't blow it in time then what will? Is it really a safety point
erict is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

__________________
This advertising will not be shown in this way to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum
   
Unread 09-27-2011, 08:00 PM   #12
Gone Wild
 
sonicj's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Panama City, FL
Posts: 1,408
Default Re: 400 amp fuse

controllers don't have to fail in a high current manner. you can start a fire with way less than 400A! a fuse isn't a 100% guarantee that things won't catch fire, however, it will prevent fires in certain scenarios.

obviously there was a high current fault at some point during the incident. had the fuse not been in place, the current would have continued to flow and undoubtedly caused much more damage.
-sj
sonicj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2011, 08:05 PM   #13
Gone Wild
 
erict's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: East Michigan
Posts: 1,305
Default Re: 400 amp fuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicj View Post
controllers don't have to fail in a high current manner. you can start a fire with way less than 400A! a fuse isn't a 100% guarantee that things won't catch fire, however, it will prevent fires in certain scenarios.

obviously there was a high current fault at some point during the incident. had the fuse not been in place, the current would have continued to flow and undoubtedly caused much more damage.
-sj
Makes sense
erict is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2011, 09:48 PM   #14
Gone Wild
 
delagem's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Homer, NY
Posts: 216
Default Re: 400 amp fuse

Cheapjeep2's thread also had me looking around! My stock setup has nothing, no fuse at all...

I went looking at the fuses, but I was also thinking of an emergency disconnect switch, as a 2nd means of shutting down, instead of wire cutters in the glove box.

I found this one at evdrives.com, but it's only rated for 250 amps.

http://www.evdrives.com/contactors_ED250.html



Won't it only being rated for 250 amps be a problem with my intended 400-500 amp controller and Plumquick motor?

Is there a higher emergency disconnect switch that anyone can recommend?
delagem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2011, 09:51 PM   #15
Cartsunlimited.net
 
scottyb's Avatar
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 64,042
Default Re: 400 amp fuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicj View Post
controllers don't have to fail in a high current manner. you can start a fire with way less than 400A! a fuse isn't a 100% guarantee that things won't catch fire, however, it will prevent fires in certain scenarios.

obviously there was a high current fault at some point during the incident. had the fuse not been in place, the current would have continued to flow and undoubtedly caused much more damage.
-sj
How much more damage could it have caused to burn the end of the main lead off!?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2011, 02:00 AM   #16
Gone Wild
 
sonicj's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Panama City, FL
Posts: 1,408
Default Re: 400 amp fuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
How much more damage could it have caused to burn the end of the main lead off!?
the main solenoid would likely weld shut and i imagine all of the batteries would likely have suffered damage (if not catch fire/explode) before any main leads burned completely though.
-sj
sonicj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2011, 06:01 AM   #17
Gone Wild
 
sonicj's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Panama City, FL
Posts: 1,408
Default Re: 400 amp fuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by delagem View Post
Won't it only being rated for 250 amps be a problem with my intended 400-500 amp controller and Plumquick motor?

Is there a higher emergency disconnect switch that anyone can recommend?
that switch is rated for 250A continuous. its peak rating is 1000A. to put this into perspective, most full size electric cars pull roughly 125A at cruising speed, while my CC with slightly modified motor pulls around 30A at WOT.

the kilovac contactor is capable of breaking 2000A one time. you can use it as your main contactor, but if you ever have to break a shorted pack it is supposed to be replaced. i believe the allbright sw200B is capable of breaking something similar; like 1800A. if you go that route, get the B model as it has the magnetic blowouts.

anderson SB350 connectors make ok emergency switches.

there are other ways to break high current, such as knife switches, etc. but thats all i know specifically.
-sj
sonicj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2011, 06:36 AM   #18
Cartsunlimited.net
 
scottyb's Avatar
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 64,042
Default Re: 400 amp fuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicj View Post
the main solenoid would likely weld shut and i imagine all of the batteries would likely have suffered damage (if not catch fire/explode) before any main leads burned completely though.
-sj
Is there any documentation of failed controllers welding solenoids and burning up the batteries? I would like to see this documentation or please tell us if this is all speculative ?


Millions of golf carts have been produced every year for decades which have no main battery fuse installed. Alltrax is the only speed control manufacture I know of who insists we use one. If this is a problem surely there would be more widespread use of the main fuse?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2011, 07:15 AM   #19
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 3,543
Default Re: 400 amp fuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Is there any documentation of failed controllers welding solenoids and burning up the batteries? I would like to see this documentation or please tell us if this is all speculative ?


Millions of golf carts have been produced every year for decades which have no main battery fuse installed. Alltrax is the only speed control manufacture I know of who insists we use one. If this is a problem surely there would be more widespread use of the main fuse?
Hmm . . . design flaw that they are aware of and can't figure out . . ??
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2011, 07:33 AM   #20
Cartsunlimited.net
 
scottyb's Avatar
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 64,042
Default Re: 400 amp fuse

More likely it is not an issue.

Come to think of it there is not a fuse on the Fords think or Gem car main battery either?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car


Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
G2 won't run: where is the fuse? Electric Yamaha
300 amp fuse? Electric EZGO
1999 Club Car Fuse Inline Fuse for Lights Electric Club Car
Fuse ? Gas Yamaha
fuse Electric EZGO


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:16 PM.


Club Car Electric | EZGO Electric | Lifted Golf Carts | Gas EZGO | Used Golf Carts and Parts

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.