lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars



Post New Thread  Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-11-2011, 03:38 AM   #1
Getting Wild
Club Car
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Wahiawa, Hawaii
Posts: 76
Default 48v - 12v reducer with 8v batteries

Hey guys,

I'm looking to get this reducer for my cart
http://parts.diversifiedgolfcars.com...converter.aspx

How would I connect this up to my cart?

I have an 08 precedent that I converted to 6 - 8v batteries with a headlight and tails. I also got the bucket harness.

So 48v + to + input on reducer, Pack - to - input on reducer (ground is ground right?)

Then where do I connect the + and - output from the reducer?
(actually thinking about connecting the + output to a fuse block)

Basically, I'm not sure what wires to connect to get 12v to the lights.. the instructions are kind of vague.
ripdis85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

__________________
This advertising will not be shown in this way to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum
   
Unread 11-11-2011, 03:53 AM   #2
Moderator
 
rib33024's Avatar
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: FT Lauderdale FL.
Posts: 13,156
Default Re: 48v - 12v reducer with 8v batteries

This is the instructions you are looking at right??, if so the Green wire is your 12v +/pos, to your fuse block, and then out of the fuse block to a switch, and then to the +/pos side of the lights, ALL grounds go to the - /neg post on the battery, NOT the frame, never ground to the frame of an electric cart


http://www.diversifiedgolfcars.com/f...-schematic.pdf
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2011, 06:45 AM   #3
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 3,543
Default Re: 48v - 12v reducer with 8v batteries

There also appears to be a yellow trigger wire in the harness for turning the reducer on/off with the keyswitch . . .
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2011, 10:45 PM   #4
Getting Wild
Club Car
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Wahiawa, Hawaii
Posts: 76
Default Re: 48v - 12v reducer with 8v batteries

Sorry guys,

I meant the light kit instructions are vague... I'm wondering where to connect output wires to the dash?

Thanks
ripdis85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2011, 08:23 PM   #5
Getting Wild
 
BBissitt's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Washington State
Posts: 75
Default Re: 48v - 12v reducer with 8v batteries

Well I can say I learned my lesson today on connecting the lights. I blew mine up after hooking them up. I used a 12 volt wire from my converter to the harness, and I never thought about the grounding portion. The ground (black wire) in the harness was still utilizing the 48 volt series ground and when i hit the switch they got real bright then they blew. I know will be using both the positive and negative from my converter to supply the lights.

I will do this by not using the black wire or the orange wire from the factory wire harness they're the 48 volt negative grounds, and I will tap into the blue wire for the 12 volt positive.

I just bought the replacement bulbs an hour ago 7.99 each for 37.5 watt bulbs.
BBissitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2011, 08:21 AM   #6
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 3,543
Default Re: 48v - 12v reducer with 8v batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBissitt View Post
Well I can say I learned my lesson today on connecting the lights. I blew mine up after hooking them up. I used a 12 volt wire from my converter to the harness, and I never thought about the grounding portion. The ground (black wire) in the harness was still utilizing the 48 volt series ground and when i hit the switch they got real bright then they blew. I know will be using both the positive and negative from my converter to supply the lights.

I will do this by not using the black wire or the orange wire from the factory wire harness they're the 48 volt negative grounds, and I will tap into the blue wire for the 12 volt positive.

I just bought the replacement bulbs an hour ago 7.99 each for 37.5 watt bulbs.
This is the reason I am going to utilize a fuse block that contains both the + and - from the voltage reducer, and run all 12v accessories from the fuse block, running the accessory's + and - to the fuse block . . . my voltage reducer also contains a "trigger" wire that will be attached to ignition switch to turn the reducer on/off so it is not in a constant "on" state when cart is not being utilized.
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2011, 10:14 AM   #7
Gone Wild
 
erict's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: East Michigan
Posts: 1,305
Default Re: 48v - 12v reducer with 8v batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevegrmich View Post
This is the reason I am going to utilize a fuse block that contains both the + and - from the voltage reducer, and run all 12v accessories from the fuse block, running the accessory's + and - to the fuse block . . . my voltage reducer also contains a "trigger" wire that will be attached to ignition switch to turn the reducer on/off so it is not in a constant "on" state when cart is not being utilized.
I think that is the best way to hook it up Steve. Having the trigger wire is a good safely measure as well and know that Stevec3201 didn't have one and is or did install a relay to achieve the same thing. I would like to know how and where you will mount yours and where you run your wires to the front when you done. Pics would be great
erict is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2011, 10:43 AM   #8
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 3,543
Default Re: 48v - 12v reducer with 8v batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by erict View Post
I think that is the best way to hook it up Steve. Having the trigger wire is a good safely measure as well and know that Stevec3201 didn't have one and is or did install a relay to achieve the same thing. I would like to know how and where you will mount yours and where you run your wires to the front when you done. Pics would be great
Haven't started the project yet . . . gathering all my "acorns" first . . . getting close though . . . have new dash with new digital volt meter and barrel key lock installed (but not mounted), reducer, light kit, fuse block . . . once I cut body for lights, I can begin wiring process . . .
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2011, 10:48 AM   #9
haveacupofshutthe****up
 
Stevec3201's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Viera, FL
Posts: 739
Default Re: 48v - 12v reducer with 8v batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by erict View Post
I think that is the best way to hook it up Steve. Having the trigger wire is a good safely measure as well and know that Stevec3201 didn't have one and is or did install a relay to achieve the same thing. I would like to know how and where you will mount yours and where you run your wires to the front when you done. Pics would be great
I have the relay in my tool box. I ended up installing a toggle switch (just like tow/run with boot and all) just below the tow/run switch. So when I go for ride, I throw both switches. When I park it, I do the opposite. Works for me. I also have an in-line fuse. I'm putting a led light on dash to show that the converter is on, just as a reminder.
Stevec3201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2011, 05:29 AM   #10
Gone Wild
 
Fishing Dude's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Slums of Lake Erie
Posts: 3,722
Default Re: 48v - 12v reducer with 8v batteries

Here is a nice fuse block with pos and neg. Easy to put in, had to put on in my boat this summer. Pricey but can put in what size needed, maybe someone has a better place to get one.
Fishing Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car


Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
48 to 12 volt reducer Electric Club Car
16v to 12v reducer Electric Yamaha
12 volt batteries, do I really need a reducer? Electric Club Car
Reducer HELP Electric Club Car


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:32 AM.


Club Car Electric | EZGO Electric | Lifted Golf Carts | Gas EZGO | Used Golf Carts and Parts

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.