lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars



Post New Thread  Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-12-2011, 01:39 PM   #1
Getting Wild
 
BBissitt's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Washington State
Posts: 75
Default Blew out my headlights

Okay I think I did the same thing as Stevec, I blew out my new headlights. I'm a little confused though. I ran a 12 volt power supply from my converter to the blue wire in the center battery box area. I then put my meter on the blue wire at the pin connection at the dash and put my meter on the ground stud I installed from the converter in the dash area and had 12 volts. I plugged in the 12 pin connector and turned on the lights and they got bright quick then got dark quick. I check the votage using the supplied ground in the pin connector and I got 48 volts. I thought a ground was a ground. I think I will de pin the blue and black wire from the harness and run them directly to my fuse block I installed from the converter.

Anybody got the reason for the 48 volts when i use the supplied ground.

Can those bulbs be purchased at the auto parts store and if so does anybody recommend an upgrade since i'm having to buy new ones. Thanks
BBissitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

__________________
This advertising will not be shown in this way to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum
   
Unread 11-12-2011, 02:51 PM   #2
haveacupofshutthe****up
 
Stevec3201's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Viera, FL
Posts: 739
Default Re: Blew out my headlights

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBissitt View Post
Okay I think I did the same thing as Stevec, I blew out my new headlights. I'm a little confused though. I ran a 12 volt power supply from my converter to the blue wire in the center battery box area. I then put my meter on the blue wire at the pin connection at the dash and put my meter on the ground stud I installed from the converter in the dash area and had 12 volts. I plugged in the 12 pin connector and turned on the lights and they got bright quick then got dark quick. I check the votage using the supplied ground in the pin connector and I got 48 volts. I thought a ground was a ground. I think I will de pin the blue and black wire from the harness and run them directly to my fuse block I installed from the converter.

Anybody got the reason for the 48 volts when i use the supplied ground.

Can those bulbs be purchased at the auto parts store and if so does anybody recommend an upgrade since i'm having to buy new ones. Thanks
When mine blew, it was only the headlamps, thank god! The rear leds were not affected. I hope yours are good too. That bucket harness does not like power from converters. I forgot what I did to fix it, but if you read my old threads there should be the solution.

Take your bulbs to a parts store and get the same or similar ones. I bought some that were 37.5 watts each, as opposed to the stock 55 watt bulbs. I can't realy tell much difference anyway. It was all they had at the time. Good luck getting it sorted out. In the end it will be worth it.

I should have check the volts before flipping that switch, doh!
Stevec3201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2011, 02:55 PM   #3
Getting Wild
 
BBissitt's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Washington State
Posts: 75
Default Re: Blew out my headlights

I here you on the harness not liking converters. my plan is to de pin the black and orange wire from the pin connector and run them to my ground from the converter. My bulbs say 37 watts on them, I,m curious what is the max wattage bulbs we can run without melting something.

Heading to the auto parts store now for the bulbs, and to radio shack to get the pin extractor.
BBissitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2011, 08:21 AM   #4
haveacupofshutthe****up
 
Stevec3201's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Viera, FL
Posts: 739
Default Re: Blew out my headlights

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBissitt View Post
I here you on the harness not liking converters. my plan is to de pin the black and orange wire from the pin connector and run them to my ground from the converter. My bulbs say 37 watts on them, I,m curious what is the max wattage bulbs we can run without melting something.

Heading to the auto parts store now for the bulbs, and to radio shack to get the pin extractor.
Stock bulbs were 55 watt, so those should be ok. But I see on another thread, you already bought 37.5 watt bulbs.
Stevec3201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2011, 08:44 PM   #5
Getting Wild
 
BBissitt's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Washington State
Posts: 75
Default Re: Blew out my headlights

Now that I got the ground issue resolved I went ahead and hooked up my lights all is good. Then I go to shut down for the night and turn the key off and my converter stays on??? I have my converter controled by the key using a relay I seen on another thread. I started tracing wires down and found the Blue/white striped wire coming from the speed switch had voltage through it and some how it would not shut my relay off. I went ahead and de-pinned it and all is well for now. I'm starting to think that wiring the lights from the converter using the factory harness is a waste of time. I also went ahead and bought two new clear bulbs for the front turn signal lights, and I will wire them up to come on with the headlights.

Does anybody know what that blue/white striped wire does coming from the speed switch and how does it interface with the light harness.

Also found out my cart is not equiped with the brake switch the wiring is there though!

Will need to get that switch any IDEAS.
BBissitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2011, 09:06 PM   #6
Gone Wild
 
erict's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: East Michigan
Posts: 1,305
Default Re: Blew out my headlights

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBissitt View Post
Now that I got the ground issue resolved I went ahead and hooked up my lights all is good. Then I go to shut down for the night and turn the key off and my converter stays on??? I have my converter controled by the key using a relay I seen on another thread. I started tracing wires down and found the Blue/white striped wire coming from the speed switch had voltage through it and some how it would not shut my relay off. I went ahead and de-pinned it and all is well for now. I'm starting to think that wiring the lights from the converter using the factory harness is a waste of time. I also went ahead and bought two new clear bulbs for the front turn signal lights, and I will wire them up to come on with the headlights.

Does anybody know what that blue/white striped wire does coming from the speed switch and how does it interface with the light harness.

Also found out my cart is not equiped with the brake switch the wiring is there though!

Will need to get that switch any IDEAS.

Stevec3201 and I were just discussing this today. You would think by just disconnecting the blue pigtail at the pack and connecting it to the 12v output it would work. It has to do with the ground somehow. I am still trying to figure this out as well.


Others have done this without an issue. I wish there was a wiring diagram that shows the correct way.
erict is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2011, 09:36 PM   #7
Getting Wild
 
BBissitt's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Washington State
Posts: 75
Default Re: Blew out my headlights

I hear ya I wanted to send out a powerpoint on what I did but until I get some answers I don't want to give people wrong info, I was told on the ground issue all ground for 12 volt system comwe off of battery #4 so when you use that ground even with an external converter it resorts back to the 48 volt system. So I removed the Black and Orange wire form the harness and soldered them together and ran it to my converter ground and its works great.

IMG-20111113-00047.jpg
BBissitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car


Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
1985 Club car, I Blew it..........up Gas Club Car
Blew something in the electrics...'91 marathon gas Gas EZGO
Blew a tire... will this work? Gas golf carts
I think my charger blew up Electric EZGO


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:56 PM.


Club Car Electric | EZGO Electric | Lifted Golf Carts | Gas EZGO | Used Golf Carts and Parts

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.