lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars



Post New Thread  Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-13-2011, 11:27 PM   #31
Gone Wild
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 230
Default Re: Installed my voltage meter from Scotty today

1BDPRECEDENT,...Good job,... I did the exact same thing with my park break abut 3 weeks ago. The only difference is I mounted the switch to a sheet metal plate and then mounted that plate to the side of the Park brake pedal. It is adjustable with two self taping screws. Not a pretty as yours but it works. Like you I hated the idea of the timer as I had one on my old Yamaha and never liked it,..plus I didn't want to pay $30 for the light timer.
trigger1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

__________________
This advertising will not be shown in this way to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum
   
Unread 11-13-2011, 11:42 PM   #32
Gone Wild
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 230
Default Re: Installed my voltage meter from Scotty today

Steve3201,.... After reading all of the posts back and forth,... I think there is something in you cart that is wired wrong and I hope someday it doesn't "Bite you". The voltage on the Cart Key switch is +48volts passed throught the harness from the controller and that +48 volts turns everything on. I need to check it but I believe that the +48 Volts to the key swithch is NOT there with Tow/Run OFF. The power to your Converter needs to use that voltage and NOTHING else, therefore the only way to get it back to your converter is to run a new wire. There are no "Unused wires" you can tap into. You could just wire your converter directly to the batteries, but then you would need yet another switch to turn the converter off since the batteries would be on all the time,...reguardless of the Tow/Run switch.

I guess I will confirm my thinking when I get my converter and install it,..but I'm going to do the following. There are wires in the dash that come from the key switch to drive a +48 volt relay, whose purpose was to pass the +12 volt line from the bucket area to the lights. I'm going to use the relay to pass +48 volts to the converter. The output of the converter will then drive the lights directly. This way the main key switch will turn on and off the converter. No other switches needed.
trigger1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2011, 01:45 AM   #33
Getting Wild
 
BBissitt's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Washington State
Posts: 75
Default Re: Installed my voltage meter from Scotty today

I just tapped into my key switch and ran a wire back to the relay in the battery box, then when I hooked up the wire harness for the lights the relay for the converter would not switch off see my last thread (my converter install)
BBissitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2011, 06:43 AM   #34
haveacupofshutthe****up
 
Stevec3201's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Viera, FL
Posts: 739
Default Re: Installed my voltage meter from Scotty today

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger1937 View Post
Steve3201,.... After reading all of the posts back and forth,... I think there is something in you cart that is wired wrong and I hope someday it doesn't "Bite you". The voltage on the Cart Key switch is +48volts passed throught the harness from the controller and that +48 volts turns everything on. I need to check it but I believe that the +48 Volts to the key swithch is NOT there with Tow/Run OFF. The power to your Converter needs to use that voltage and NOTHING else, therefore the only way to get it back to your converter is to run a new wire. There are no "Unused wires" you can tap into. You could just wire your converter directly to the batteries, but then you would need yet another switch to turn the converter off since the batteries would be on all the time,...reguardless of the Tow/Run switch.

I guess I will confirm my thinking when I get my converter and install it,..but I'm going to do the following. There are wires in the dash that come from the key switch to drive a +48 volt relay, whose purpose was to pass the +12 volt line from the bucket area to the lights. I'm going to use the relay to pass +48 volts to the converter. The output of the converter will then drive the lights directly. This way the main key switch will turn on and off the converter. No other switches needed.
My converter is wired directly to the batteries. It is mounted in the bagwell and I run the +12 volt wires to a fuse block in the divider. I also run +12 volts to to the dash into another fuse block.

I do have 48 volts at the key switch, but when I turn on the converter, it turns to 12 volts at the key switch. I can't figure it out, but I heard from a CC tech (from this website) that I was to expect this to happen with the stock harness, and the solution was to wire the meter directly to the battery pack. Everything is working fine now, batteries show 50.9 volts every morning! Nothing is melting.
Stevec3201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2011, 07:28 AM   #35
Gone Wild
 
erict's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: East Michigan
Posts: 1,305
Default Re: Installed my voltage meter from Scotty today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevec3201 View Post
My converter is wired directly to the batteries. It is mounted in the bagwell and I run the +12 volt wires to a fuse block in the divider. I also run +12 volts to to the dash into another fuse block.

I do have 48 volts at the key switch, but when I turn on the converter, it turns to 12 volts at the key switch. I can't figure it out, but I heard from a CC tech (from this website) that I was to expect this to happen with the stock harness, and the solution was to wire the meter directly to the battery pack. Everything is working fine now, batteries show 50.9 volts every morning! Nothing is melting.
Someone has to have a simple explanation as to why it does this. I would really like to know as you would to Steve

Can you make a wire diagram on how you wired everything?
erict is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2011, 07:34 AM   #36
Gone Wild
 
Down South's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: La but staying in Houston most of the time
Posts: 554
Default Re: Installed my voltage meter from Scotty today

I've been out of pocket for a day or two. The question was asked if I have a converter hooked up. The answer is no. I will have a converter in the near future and I will see how things go from there.
I do have a minor voltage drop going through the key switch to the meter. The unswitched side of the switch gives me +.1 to .2 more voltage than the switched side and that agrees with my digital voltage meter. Something in the switch is causing the minor voltage drop. I can hook my digital voltage meter up to the pack and run the cart and the digital voltage meter will read +.1 to .2V higher consistently than the meter that I installed in the dash.
That is not a big enough drop in voltage for me to worry about.
Down South is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2011, 07:59 AM   #37
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 3,543
Default Re: Installed my voltage meter from Scotty today

Getting lost in this issue you guys are discussing, I am assuming that everyone is talking about Precedents and it's factory harness that is allegedly pre-wired for adding a light kit . . . is anyone having any issues with late model DS's . . ??
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2011, 08:15 AM   #38
Gone Wild
 
erict's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: East Michigan
Posts: 1,305
Default Re: Installed my voltage meter from Scotty today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevegrmich View Post
Getting lost in this issue you guys are discussing, I am assuming that everyone is talking about Precedents and it's factory harness that is allegedly pre-wired for adding a light kit . . . is anyone having any issues with late model DS's . . ??
Correct Steve. It seems there is an issue with the factory harness when you introduce a converter into the equation when tapping into wires in the harness on the Precedents. It seems to be how the ground is wired within the harness but not sure.
erict is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2011, 08:16 AM   #39
haveacupofshutthe****up
 
Stevec3201's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Viera, FL
Posts: 739
Default Re: Installed my voltage meter from Scotty today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down South View Post
I've been out of pocket for a day or two. The question was asked if I have a converter hooked up. The answer is no. I will have a converter in the near future and I will see how things go from there.
I do have a minor voltage drop going through the key switch to the meter. The unswitched side of the switch gives me +.1 to .2 more voltage than the switched side and that agrees with my digital voltage meter. Something in the switch is causing the minor voltage drop. I can hook my digital voltage meter up to the pack and run the cart and the digital voltage meter will read +.1 to .2V higher consistently than the meter that I installed in the dash.
That is not a big enough drop in voltage for me to worry about.
Thanks for the answer. I kinda figured that, because it seems nobody with a precedent and the oem harness, can use the oem (meter) wires for a dash mounted meter, if they have a converter.
Stevec3201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2011, 11:29 AM   #40
Gone Wild
 
Down South's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: La but staying in Houston most of the time
Posts: 554
Default Re: Installed my voltage meter from Scotty today

Quote:
Thanks for the answer. I kinda figured that, because it seems nobody with a precedent and the oem harness, can use the oem (meter) wires for a dash mounted meter, if they have a converter.
That would make sense to me. You would lose the 48V through the harness with a converter hooked to it. You would only have 12V.

Now if you wired the converter up independently and powered the auxiliary devices straight to the converter and left the factory wiring harness as is, then you would still have 48V.
Down South is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car


Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
New meter installed to replace the one I fried Electric Club Car
Bad Voltage Reg or Starter Generator - Scotty can you provide guidance Gas EZGO
Installed Datel digital meter today. Electric Club Car
installed lift today Gas Yamaha
Installed ALLSPORTS 6" lift into CC DS today Lifted Golf Carts


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:51 PM.


Club Car Electric | EZGO Electric | Lifted Golf Carts | Gas EZGO | Used Golf Carts and Parts

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.