Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/)
-   Electric Club Car (http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/electric-club-car/)
-   -   radio hook up and install (http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/electric-club-car/60411-radio-hook-up-install.html)

Wstaram00 02-20-2012 12:38 AM

radio hook up and install
 
Hi everyone newbe here. I have a 2001 club car ds 48 volt. Im adding some accessories, radio horn, lights, fan etc. I know im gonna add a extra battery for all this. My question is the radio hook up it says i have to have it wired to a pos leaad and to the ignition also, how do i do this with just a 12 volt battery with no ignition. alsoi I want to use a fuse block so everything is nice and neat and protected, what is the best way to install. thanks to all who will respond.

TahoeDawgZ71 02-20-2012 08:27 AM

Re: radio hook up and install
 
The "ACC" wire on the back of the stereo is the wired being referred to as the "ignition" wire. It's designed to be powered up only when the keyswitch is on. That's why your stereo in your car won't turn on until you turn on the key. The easiest way to accomplish this task is to install a toggle switch to serve as the keyswitch.

Stevegrmich 02-20-2012 08:31 AM

Re: radio hook up and install
 
The second positive lead for hookup is probably a constant supply for radio memory . . .

Scott H. 02-20-2012 01:24 PM

Re: radio hook up and install
 
I'm going to take it as we're working with a newer radio here without a touch screen or video playback, and it has the standardized wiring colors.

Red Wire - Hook it to the positive side of the extra battery. A toggle switch can be used in line to turn the power off when you don't want it running or you can do like I'm going to do and just switch it off with the radio's power button.

Yellow Wire - Hook it to the positive side of the extra battery. This wire is for the radio's memory and settings, it should be constantly powered without a switch.

Black Wire - Hook it to the negative side of the extra battery.

IF it has an Orange Wire - This is usually an illumination wire that hooks to your dash lights to dim the display at night when your head lights are on. Just tape it up into the harness. Please check your radio's instructions to confirm this.

Blue Wire - This is an amp turn on lead or power antenna lead. Unless you have one of these, just tape it up into the harness.

All the other wires are for the speakers, hook them up as per the radio's instructions.


For the Fuse Block, just run a heavy gauge wire from the positive side of your extra battery to the positive connection of the fuse block. After everything is mounted and checked, just hook your Red and Yellow wires to seperate fuses on the fuse block.

If the fuse block has a grounding point, run it to the negative side of the extra battery. DO NOT GROUND IT TO THE CART'S FRAME!!!

I hope this answers your question,
-Scott H.

Wstaram00 02-20-2012 02:17 PM

Re: radio hook up and install
 
so the toggle switch acts like the ignition ?

Stevegrmich 02-20-2012 02:30 PM

Re: radio hook up and install
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wstaram00 (Post 690720)
so the toggle switch acts like the ignition ?

:thumbup:

Scott H. 02-20-2012 03:05 PM

Re: radio hook up and install
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wstaram00 (Post 690720)
so the toggle switch acts like the ignition ?

Yes.

All the ignition switch basically does when the key is turned off is cut off the power to the electrical system. The toggle switch does the same thing, but without a removable key.

-Scott H.

Wstaram00 02-20-2012 07:59 PM

Re: radio hook up and install
 
which fuse block is the best to buy for my needs and thanks for all the input guys i will post pics when cart is done

rinman 02-20-2012 09:58 PM

Re: radio hook up and install
 
I agree with Scott H. no need for a toggle switch. I just power my radio off and have had no problems. Here is a link to the 8 gang fuse block that I bought off of ebay . I ran a 6 gauge positive and ground wire to it then everything is wired to the fuse block.....very clean :thumbup: Probably overkill on the wire size, but I had it laying around.

I put the fuse block underneath in the front that way it was close to the dash as I added accessories. I will try to get a pic of it tomorrow night.

By the way the auxiliary battery is the way to go :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Wstaram00 02-20-2012 11:57 PM

Thanks for all your input you guys made my install alot easier

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Meat Man 02-21-2012 07:20 AM

Re: radio hook up and install
 
Just another example of how great this forum and it's members are ! :thumbup:

TahoeDawgZ71 02-21-2012 08:38 AM

Re: radio hook up and install
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by rinman (Post 690904)
I agree with Scott H. no need for a toggle switch. I just power my radio off and have had no problems. Here is a link to the 8 gang fuse block that I bought off of ebay . I ran a 6 gauge positive and ground wire to it then everything is wired to the fuse block.....very clean :thumbup: Probably overkill on the wire size, but I had it laying around.

I put the fuse block underneath in the front that way it was close to the dash as I added accessories. I will try to get a pic of it tomorrow night.

By the way the auxiliary battery is the way to go :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

True to an extent..... But some aftermarket stereos won't power down completely and will stay illuminated even when turned off, unless power is turned off by a switch.

rinman 02-21-2012 10:09 AM

Re: radio hook up and install
 
Tahoe........you are correct and if that is the case a simple toggle switch is an easy solution. Forgot I had an older stereo on another cart that did do that and I felt there was enough draw that I wired a toggle switch. Problem was remembering to turn it off. :lol:

Wstaram00 02-21-2012 12:42 PM

Im.gonna put the switch in just to be safe

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Scott H. 02-21-2012 01:23 PM

Re: radio hook up and install
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 (Post 691045)
True to an extent..... But some aftermarket stereos won't power down completely and will stay illuminated even when turned off, unless power is turned off by a switch.

True, I had completely forgotten about that. The ones I have sitting on my shelf turn completely off with the power button, but I have had one in the past that would stay lit up like a Christmas Tree until the power was switched off by the key.

There is a plus side to using a toggle switch though, and it's something that I've started thinking about since yesterday a friend of mine stopped by and her son went straight to my golf cart as soon as he was let out of his car seat and out of the car.

If you install a hidden switch, most people wouldn't know how to turn on your radio when you don't want it played with. :thumbup:

-Scott H.

TahoeDawgZ71 02-21-2012 03:10 PM

Re: radio hook up and install
 
Personally I like a relay switch instead of the toggle, operate it from the keyswitch. But that's a little more complex wiring than one might want to tackle.

Wstaram00 02-22-2012 04:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott H. (Post 690700)
I'm going to take it as we're working with a newer radio here without a touch screen or video playback, and it has the standardized wiring colors.

Red Wire - Hook it to the positive side of the extra battery. A toggle switch can be used in line to turn the power off when you don't want it running or you can do like I'm going to do and just switch it off with the radio's power button.

Yellow Wire - Hook it to the positive side of the extra battery. This wire is for the radio's memory and settings, it should be constantly powered without a switch.

Black Wire - Hook it to the negative side of the extra battery.

IF it has an Orange Wire - This is usually an illumination wire that hooks to your dash lights to dim the display at night when your head lights are on. Just tape it up into the harness. Please check your radio's instructions to confirm this.

Blue Wire - This is an amp turn on lead or power antenna lead. Unless you have one of these, just tape it up into the harness.

All the other wires are for the speakers, hook them up as per the radio's instructions.


For the Fuse Block, just run a heavy gauge wire from the positive side of your extra battery to the positive connection of the fuse block. After everything is mounted and checked, just hook your Red and Yellow wires to seperate fuses on the fuse block.

If the fuse block has a grounding point, run it to the negative side of the extra battery. DO NOT GROUND IT TO THE CART'S FRAME!!!

I hope this answers your question,
-Scott H.

I want to add an amp in the future the blue wire Scott talked about in this post how do I use it with an amp

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

TahoeDawgZ71 02-22-2012 08:49 AM

Re: radio hook up and install
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wstaram00 (Post 691524)
I want to add an amp in the future the blue wire Scott talked about in this post how do I use it with an amp

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

The blue wire is a remote wire for the amp. The amp will have a terminal labeled "remote" All you do is run a wire from the blue wire in your stereo wire harness to the amp remote. This allows the amp to turn on and off in sync with your headunit.

Wstaram00 02-22-2012 11:54 AM

Do I run separate power to the amp. And the rca inputs in the back of the deck as well

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Scott H. 02-22-2012 01:28 PM

Re: radio hook up and install
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wstaram00 (Post 691645)
Do I run separate power to the amp. And the rca inputs in the back of the deck as well

Yes, every piece of equipment needs to have it's own fuse in the fuse block.

On the RCAs, definately use Automotive Grade RCA cables. The shielding is much thicker than the ones for home use and you'll have a better chance of not having unwanted noise and electrical whine in your system.

-Scott H.

Wstaram00 02-22-2012 01:42 PM

Re: radio hook up and install
 
thanks for all your help guys

Meat Man 02-22-2012 01:58 PM

Re: radio hook up and install
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 (Post 691294)
Personally I like a relay switch instead of the toggle, operate it from the keyswitch. But that's a little more complex wiring than one might want to tackle.

Is it possible for you to give a short explanation of how a relay is wired to ignition?

TahoeDawgZ71 02-22-2012 02:39 PM

Re: radio hook up and install
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meat Man (Post 691693)
Is it possible for you to give a short explanation of how a relay is wired to ignition?

Install 48V Relay behind Keyswitch

COM (Common)= 12+ V Positive from constant source (Same source as stereo main power)
NO (Normally Open)= Red wire on back of stereo

Two Small terminals:
1 = Keyswitch, same post as BLUE wire in factory Club Car harness.
2 = Main 48V Negative ground or B- on controller

Ta2ooz 02-29-2012 08:47 AM

Re: radio hook up and install
 
Newbie question here
I would like to hook up a 12v stereo, I have a club car 48v with 4 12v batts. My question is can I tap onto a single battery to power it or do I need o e of the convertors

Stevegrmich 02-29-2012 09:10 AM

Re: radio hook up and install
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ta2ooz (Post 694585)
Newbie question here
I would like to hook up a 12v stereo, I have a club car 48v with 4 12v batts. My question is can I tap onto a single battery to power it or do I need o e of the convertors

Either way . . if that is only acc you are running, ie, no lights, etc, running off single battery would be ok . . . just periodically move the connections to a different battery so not to continually draw down a single battery . . . if you have lights, etc, then a reducer/convertor running from entire pack would be optimal . . .

sandbag3 05-29-2012 09:22 PM

Re: radio hook up and install
 
I have same goal of hooking up 12 v stereo to 48 v system. New to site. Is there info out there on how to install one of these converters that a newbie like me can understand?
Thanks,
s3

Stevegrmich 05-30-2012 07:54 AM

Re: radio hook up and install
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by sandbag3 (Post 732070)
I have same goal of hooking up 12 v stereo to 48 v system. New to site. Is there info out there on how to install one of these converters that a newbie like me can understand?
Thanks,
s3

They are really not that difficult to install . . . this is the one I use . .

48v-12v Reducer


There are many different ones available at a variety of prices . . you also can check the site sponsors to see what they offer . . . :thumbup:

Matty Haines 07-04-2012 12:03 PM

Re: radio hook up and install
 
I want to add a fuse box for my headlights and radio and I have a 2005 Club car ds electric which one should I use. Or should I just use inline fuses instead

89GatorClub 07-04-2012 08:36 PM

Re: radio hook up and install
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 (Post 691710)
Install 48V Relay behind Keyswitch

COM (Common)= 12+ V Positive from constant source (Same source as stereo main power)
NO (Normally Open)= Red wire on back of stereo

Two Small terminals:
1 = Keyswitch, same post as BLUE wire in factory Club Car harness.
2 = Main 48V Negative ground or B- on controller

This is the way I would wire it in(and the way I did)....I bought 4 of those relays off of ebay for 10 bucks. Its really nice not having to worry if the kids leave on the toddle switch....but on the same not I installed at dip switch so i can turn on the radio without turning on the cart. :thumbup:

Dhenryjr 07-05-2012 12:27 PM

Re: radio hook up and install
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Matty Haines (Post 745378)
I want to add a fuse box for my headlights and radio and I have a 2005 Club car ds electric which one should I use. Or should I just use inline fuses instead

Blue Sea Systems fuse boxes are great for cart applications. You can find them on ebay.

Matty Haines 07-08-2012 07:39 PM

Re: radio hook up and install
 
Should you hook up the orange wire to anything. I know its for illumination but should I hook it up to the lights so I can see it at night

Matt

TahoeDawgZ71 07-08-2012 10:40 PM

Re: radio hook up and install
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Matty Haines (Post 747008)
Should you hook up the orange wire to anything. I know its for illumination but should I hook it up to the lights so I can see it at night

Matt

No. Leave it unhooked in your application.

Scott H. 07-09-2012 12:50 AM

Re: radio hook up and install
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Matty Haines (Post 747008)
Should you hook up the orange wire to anything. I know its for illumination but should I hook it up to the lights so I can see it at night

Matt

The Orange wire is only used to DIM the lights at night. Like David stated, just leave it unhooked.

-Scott H.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:02 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
This Website and forum is the property of Buggiesgonewild.com. No material may be taken or duplicated in part or full without prior written consent of the owners of buggiesgonewild.com. 2006-2017 Buggiesgonewild.com. All rights reserved.