lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars



Post New Thread  Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-25-2012, 07:02 PM   #1
Not Yet Wild
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 69
Default 2008 Precedent Motor Upgrade Help

I have the Regen 2 and my motor I believe is the Advance motor, model #EJ4-4001 and my controller is a Curtis #1510A-5251 (250 amp). I want to get more speed, I supposedly have the speed setting at 4 already, maybe going 18 MPH now. Would like to see more like 24 (my DS cart goes about 25).

Pretty sure I could do it with a motor and controller upgrade, but if there is a motor that would be a direct replacement that would sure be easier.

Anyone have suggestions or personal experience?

Do not think I would pick up enough from a plum quick upgrade, saw something called Roadrunner, maybe that would work. Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks.
Plasterface is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

__________________
This advertising will not be shown in this way to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum
   
Unread 06-25-2012, 09:49 PM   #2
Not Yet Wild
 
billyb22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 20
Default Re: 2008 Precedent Motor Upgrade Help

I am just finishing a build - EMP motor on a stock Precedent controller set at private code #4 = 25MPH on GPS, even faster down hills.
I have heard the Plum Quick Bandit does well also, keeping the stock controller but I have never tried it.
billyb22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2012, 11:19 PM   #3
Gone Wild
 
lgbarne's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Posts: 155
Default Re: 2008 Precedent Motor Upgrade Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasterface View Post
I have the Regen 2 and my motor I believe is the Advance motor, model #EJ4-4001 and my controller is a Curtis #1510A-5251 (250 amp). I want to get more speed, I supposedly have the speed setting at 4 already, maybe going 18 MPH now. Would like to see more like 24 (my DS cart goes about 25).

Pretty sure I could do it with a motor and controller upgrade, but if there is a motor that would be a direct replacement that would sure be easier.

Anyone have suggestions or personal experience?

Do not think I would pick up enough from a plum quick upgrade, saw something called Roadrunner, maybe that would work. Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks.
If your serial number starts with a PH, then you have an Excel Precedent - Is that what you are referring to with the Regen 2? If it starts with PQ, then you have an IQ system. There are some additional considerations you will need to account for with an Excel cart. TahoeDawg will be able to give you more info on this, but I believe you have to change the controller if you want to change the motor in an Excel cart.

Other than that, I believe there are faster motors available from Plum Quick and at least one member has a Commander motor running something like 28-30mph with a stock controller on a Precedent (IQ). I'll try to find his name and post as reply.
lgbarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2012, 11:36 PM   #4
Gone Wild
 
lgbarne's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Posts: 155
Default Re: 2008 Precedent Motor Upgrade Help

Stevec3201

His salutation says he has a commander motor and his cart does 30+ mph with stock controller.
lgbarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2012, 11:52 PM   #5
Getting Wild
 
hanny's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 111
Default Re: 2008 Precedent Motor Upgrade Help

i would get a dcx500 alltrax controller first, it will allow 2 times the amps thru it gaining you top end and low end power. upgrade your wires to 2 gauge (simple to do yourself for about 25$) all you need is welding wire off ebay, 5/16 lugs and some silver solder.

if your looking for over 30 get a 8:1 rear end gear set.
hanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2012, 11:59 PM   #6
Not Yet Wild
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 69
Default Re: 2008 Precedent Motor Upgrade Help

Only looking for 24-25 MPH, this is a golf course cart only. My serial numbers are PQ so it is a regen 2 PQ, not excel. It has the silver curtis controller though, so I really cannot upgrade to alltrax, would have to go GE, I think, but it sounds complicated. Would just rather upgrade motor at this point and then upgrade controller later if I need more torque. Course is relatively flat.

I went to plum quick web site again, the second motor looks good but their dates only go up to 2001 not 2008. While I think it should work, just not sure, help appreciated.
Plasterface is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2012, 07:57 AM   #7
Gone Wild
 
Down South's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: La but staying in Houston most of the time
Posts: 554
Default Re: 2008 Precedent Motor Upgrade Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasterface View Post
I went to plum quick web site again, the second motor looks good but their dates only go up to 2001 not 2008. While I think it should work, just not sure, help appreciated.
Give PlumQuick a call. They can tell you what your best option is.
Down South is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2012, 08:38 PM   #8
Getting Wild
 
JasonsGolfCarts's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Brooksville, FL
Posts: 108
Default Re: 2008 Precedent Motor Upgrade Help

We have had great luck with the Admiral motors (link below). Very easy to install in your cart.

http://www.jasonsgolfcarts.com/Club_...M_p/mot-a2.htm

Have fun with it!!!
JasonsGolfCarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2012, 10:51 PM   #9
Gone Wild
 
erict's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: East Michigan
Posts: 1,305
Default Re: 2008 Precedent Motor Upgrade Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasterface View Post
Only looking for 24-25 MPH, this is a golf course cart only. My serial numbers are PQ so it is a regen 2 PQ, not excel. It has the silver curtis controller though, so I really cannot upgrade to alltrax, would have to go GE, I think, but it sounds complicated. Would just rather upgrade motor at this point and then upgrade controller later if I need more torque. Course is relatively flat.

I went to plum quick web site again, the second motor looks good but their dates only go up to 2001 not 2008. While I think it should work, just not sure, help appreciated.
Why couldn't you use an altrax?
erict is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2012, 11:07 PM   #10
Ban Puppy Mills & Stores!
 
scubabud's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: SE Florida
Posts: 2,945
Default Re: 2008 Precedent Motor Upgrade Help

This has been done a long time ago. Please read the thread.

$300 to $400 and get 26 MPH

By the way... I still have the stock controller.
scubabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car


Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
2008 Club Car Precedent vs. 2008 ezgo pds Electric Club Car
Help! 2008 CC Electric Precedent motor issues Electric Club Car
2008 Club Car precedent vs. 2008 ezgo pds Electric EZGO
2008 CC Precedent Electric Club Car
2008 cc precedent won't go Electric Club Car


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:55 AM.


Club Car Electric | EZGO Electric | Lifted Golf Carts | Gas EZGO | Used Golf Carts and Parts

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.