lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars



Post New Thread  Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-29-2012, 10:43 PM   #1
Gone Wild
 
lmswest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 366
Default Help me pick my next mods please

2001 48 volt ds series cart
Brand new batteries
4 gauge throughout
I found a new alltrax 4865 on craigs barter section so its no money out of pocket. Im picking it up tomorrow and need to know what motor would work best a pq or a d&d and can I run the 4865 turned down without damaging the stock motor and solenoid until I get a 400amp 1000 peak solenoid?
Fairly flat ground stock height 205/30-14 tires approx 20inches tall


Oh, and can I just upgrade the buss bars in my f-n-r switch or ezgo switch or HDswitch?


I know its a lot of questions but I appreciate any help or advice as Im new to carting..
lmswest is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

__________________
This advertising will not be shown in this way to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum
   
Unread 07-29-2012, 10:55 PM   #2
Not Yet Wild
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 69
Default Re: Help me pick my next mods please

I have a GE 5.5 HP @ 5700 RPM 48 volt motor on my 2000 DS with that same controller and get 25MPH.

I do not think that controller will hurt your stock motor.
Plasterface is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2012, 11:06 PM   #3
Gone Wild
 
lmswest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 366
Default Re: Help me pick my next mods please

what size tires? and where did you buy the motor? Price?

Cart would barely go 11 when I got it. New batteries and 4 gauge got me to what I figured a good stock one would be 14-15 on gps I figure once the wheel and tires get on it approx 3 inch taller id pick up some mph and the controller would make up for the torque loss but end result Id really like to be able to do a little bit of a burn out.
Does your cart chirp the tires or spin at all?
lmswest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2012, 11:06 PM   #4
Getting Wild
Club Car
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Sumter, SC
Posts: 111
Default Re: Help me pick my next mods please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasterface View Post
I have a GE 5.5 HP @ 5700 RPM 48 volt motor on my 2000 DS with that same controller and get 25MPH.

I do not think that controller will hurt your stock motor.
That sounds very similar to the D&D motor I just put in my cart. I avg 25-26 with one or two persons and up to 28 on a slight decline. Still on the stock controller with a wiring upgrade.
JohnDaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2012, 11:08 PM   #5
Getting Wild
Club Car
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Sumter, SC
Posts: 111
Default Re: Help me pick my next mods please

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmswest View Post
what size tires? and where did you buy the motor? Price?

Cart would barely go 11 when I got it. New batteries and 4 gauge got me to what I figured a good stock one would be 14-15 on gps I figure once the wheel and tires get on it approx 3 inch taller id pick up some mph and the controller would make up for the torque loss but end result Id really like to be able to do a little bit of a burn out.
Does your cart chirp the tires or spin at all?
Check out my thread on the D&D motor I put in Friday.

Installed D&D motor on 98 DS
JohnDaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2012, 11:51 PM   #6
Not Yet Wild
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 69
Default Re: Help me pick my next mods please

I have had that motor for about 8 years or so and works great, golf course cart with reglar golf cart size tires(12 inch rim low profile). It is not a cheap motor and I think they call it "the Bad Boy", and trust me it is, awsome up hills, great torque.

I have seen it on the site I bought mine for $610.

You can google "5.5hp@5700rpm" and you can find some other dealers and check pricing.
Plasterface is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2012, 11:56 PM   #7
Not Yet Wild
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 69
Default Re: Help me pick my next mods please

Hey LMswest, just read your post, and no it does not spin the tires, maybe a chirp, but power comes on hard if I floor it from a stop and I was not looking for off the line performance and that is probably hard on the cart and I only use mine for golf.

Maybe a higher amp controller might help achieve that goal but a 5700 rpm motor was the fastest I found, maybe someone else could give us specs on some other motor choices to help you out.
Plasterface is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2012, 12:08 AM   #8
Not Yet Wild
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 69
Default Re: Help me pick my next mods please

Lmswest, one last note, I used the Alltrax 400 amp controller with the bad boy motor and with the stock controller and wiring for 7 years with no problems. I only recently replaced the F&R switch to HD and put in a 200amp solenoid which is what Alltrax recommends.

I am not recommending this just saying that I had no problems.

That 400 amp solenoid is usually used with Altrax 500 amp controller, according to the Alltrax site.
Plasterface is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2012, 12:19 AM   #9
Getting Wild
Club Car
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Sumter, SC
Posts: 111
Default Re: Help me pick my next mods please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasterface View Post
Hey LMswest, just read your post, and no it does not spin the tires, maybe a chirp, but power comes on hard if I floor it from a stop and I was not looking for off the line performance and that is probably hard on the cart and I only use mine for golf.

Maybe a higher amp controller might help achieve that goal but a 5700 rpm motor was the fastest I found, maybe someone else could give us specs on some other motor choices to help you out.
I used the speed calc earlier today and was surprised that it said I would be turning 6000-6100 at 26mph on stock tires with stock gears.

If the poster goes with the 205/30-14 (measured 20.5" on a buddy's cart) he should see 30mph or very close going by the calculator.
JohnDaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2012, 12:46 AM   #10
Gone Wild
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 912
Default Re: Help me pick my next mods please

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDaMan View Post
I used the speed calc earlier today and was surprised that it said I would be turning 6000-6100 at 26mph on stock tires with stock gears.

If the poster goes with the 205/30-14 (measured 20.5" on a buddy's cart) he should see 30mph or very close going by the calculator.
OK, my experience and observations, I am running 205/30/12 so my tire height is about 18.5 to 19 inches, standard height. If you get bigger wheels and tires and have enough torque in your motor and amps on your controller you will definitely see more speed. You must remember that you will sacrifice torque with speed unless you compensate with a larger controller. Also, it is possible you could see a reduction in speed if your system cannot spin the tires due to more torque requirement. Bigger the tires = greater need for torque to maintain same rpm as smaller tires.


So going to a bigger tire/wheel will result in more speed if the rest of your componants have the capability of turning them.
Speedchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car


Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Take your pick! Golf Carts and Parts
12 Volt Pick-up...??? Electric Club Car
Going to pick G9 Sunday anything to look for? Gas Yamaha
pick a motor Big Block Talk!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:13 PM.


Club Car Electric | EZGO Electric | Lifted Golf Carts | Gas EZGO | Used Golf Carts and Parts

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.