lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars



Post New Thread  Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-25-2012, 12:19 PM   #1
Not Yet Wild
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 7
Default Proper Way To Unhook Battery Wiring For Storage?

I have a 97 -- 48 volt DS cart as best as I can tell.... When I look at the description in the manual it shows disconnecting the red wires off battery #1 and the black wire off battery #6 unless I am misreading something. I have a couple of questions.

Why not take both the neg and pos wires off just battery #1? It has one large black wire on negative and a large red wire and small red wire on positive.

Next-- the cart is in Florida. It will be stored part of the year NOT during the winter. We have a place there and go down during the winter to escape the cold and then return home in the spring and summer. Renting a cart got expensive so we bought a used one...I figure I can charge it up good and disconnect the batteries and leave it until I return if I have good batteries.

Any suggestions or help with what other things I should do would be appreciated. I have never owned a cart before.

Thanks.
Panama is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

__________________
This advertising will not be shown in this way to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum
   
Unread 08-25-2012, 12:43 PM   #2
Gone Wild
 
erict's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: East Michigan
Posts: 1,305
Default Re: Proper Way To Unhook Battery Wiring For Storage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panama View Post
I have a 97 -- 48 volt DS cart as best as I can tell.... When I look at the description in the manual it shows disconnecting the red wires off battery #1 and the black wire off battery #6 unless I am misreading something. I have a couple of questions.

Why not take both the neg and pos wires off just battery #1? It has one large black wire on negative and a large red wire and small red wire on positive.

Next-- the cart is in Florida. It will be stored part of the year NOT during the winter. We have a place there and go down during the winter to escape the cold and then return home in the spring and summer. Renting a cart got expensive so we bought a used one...I figure I can charge it up good and disconnect the batteries and leave it until I return if I have good batteries.

Any suggestions or help with what other things I should do would be appreciated. I have never owned a cart before.

Thanks.
You will need to leave a charger connected while you are away. Charging the batteries up and leaving it a state of discharge for a long period will ruin the batteries and give you nothing but battery problems. If you don't want to leave a charger connected all the time maybe you can find someone down there that can plug it in every two weeks and let it charge then disconnect it.

There is no reason to disconnect battery cables during storage.
erict is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2012, 02:05 PM   #3
Gone Wild
 
Marathon Man's Avatar
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: brooksville fl
Posts: 411
Default Re: Proper Way To Unhook Battery Wiring For Storage?

Leaving the charger pluged in will not do anything it's not a float charger you have to unplug it and plug it back it for it to charge cycle again. You plug it in and it charges once leave for six months it will not come back on unless it's unplugged and pluged back in. They do sell 36 and 48 volt battery maintainers that are float chargers.
Marathon Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2012, 02:13 PM   #4
Stay thirsty my friends!
 
gornoman's Avatar
Mixed Breed
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Suburban Chicago
Posts: 25,026
Default Re: Proper Way To Unhook Battery Wiring For Storage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
Leaving the charger pluged in will not do anything it's not a float charger you have to unplug it and plug it back it for it to charge cycle again. You plug it in and it charges once leave for six months it will not come back on unless it's unplugged and pluged back in. They do sell 36 and 48 volt battery maintainers that are float chargers.
The OBC in a late model Club Car such as this will indeed float the pack correctly over long storage periods. I agree the EZ-Go's and Yamaha's do not function this way. As for the cables, make sure any corrosion has been neutralized and leave them connected. If the cart has a Run/Tow switch, move it to Tow. If there is a stereo with a "keep alive" wire involved, this wire should be disconnected. Also make sure the cells have proper water levels before heading north.

The best method is to have a neighbor drive it for 15 minutes or so once a month and have him put it on the charger each time.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2012, 04:14 PM   #5
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Fredericksburg, In
Posts: 50
Default Re: Proper Way To Unhook Battery Wiring For Storage?

I was going to ask a similar question concerning winter storage, but after reading this, am I orrect in assuming the best thing to do is to ride and then charge the batteries back up on a regular basis during winter months?
camodude1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2012, 04:29 PM   #6
Gone Wild
 
delagem's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Homer, NY
Posts: 216
Default Re: Proper Way To Unhook Battery Wiring For Storage?

I always disconnect my pack for winter storage. I also go connect it and plug it back in once every other month, to recharge. (I would do it every month but scheduling doesn't allow)

One thing to check for. If you have a voltage reducer like mine, it will be wired to draw off of two batteries. Depending on who wired it up, and what wire you disconnect to break your pack's wiring, it is possible to leave that device connected; it will draw those two batteries down until they are totally dead. You'll want to trace the wiring to make sure you disconnect this.

delagem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2012, 12:16 AM   #7
Gone Wild
 
erict's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: East Michigan
Posts: 1,305
Default Re: Proper Way To Unhook Battery Wiring For Storage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by camodude1954 View Post
I was going to ask a similar question concerning winter storage, but after reading this, am I orrect in assuming the best thing to do is to ride and then charge the batteries back up on a regular basis during winter months?
No need to ride, just make sure to charge it every two to three weeks. The batteries will naturally discharge while it's in storage
erict is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2012, 12:31 AM   #8
Gone Wild
 
sms-shop's Avatar
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Gastonia NC
Posts: 530
Default Re: Proper Way To Unhook Battery Wiring For Storage?

You can buy a programmable timer to plug the charger in... Set the timer for 24 hours every 14 days and the charger will do the rest..
sms-shop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2012, 02:05 PM   #9
Gone Wild
 
Fishing Dude's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Slums of Lake Erie
Posts: 3,722
Default Re: Proper Way To Unhook Battery Wiring For Storage?

I live in Northern Ohio and just charge battery before storage unhook neg battery cable as charger option is not an option get 6 years out of batteries. They loose about 4% charge a month. Charge before use in spring.
Fishing Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car


Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
proper wiring? Electric EZGO
Proper battery relays Electric Yamaha
Battery Storage? Electric Club Car
unhook reverse buzzer Electric EZGO
Battery Storage Electric Club Car


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:06 PM.


Club Car Electric | EZGO Electric | Lifted Golf Carts | Gas EZGO | Used Golf Carts and Parts

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.