lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars



Post New Thread  Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-04-2012, 12:46 PM   #1
Gone Wild
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 165
Default Front Wheel Free Play Inspection

2005 Precedent. The king pin bracket is rubbing the inside of the rim on the left side. The right side has more clearance so it does not rub. When I raise the cart and grasp the left tire at the 9/3 position or the 6/12 position the tire moves quite a bit. It also appears that there is play in the king pin bracket where it attaches to the leaf spring. I also note a bit of play where the bottom of the shock absorber attaches.

I've researched the forums and have read that a fix ( perhaps not a complete fix ) is to replace the leaf spring bushings.

The maintenance and service manual for a 09 Precedent states that if the wheel rocks when tested as above it indicates that the hub bearing is worn; thefore the hub assembly must be replaced.

I'm guessing that the either the loose bushings caused the hub bearing to wear, or vice versa. I'm doing this repair job for a neighbor so I don't want to take on a bigger task than required, but I also want to solve the problem. Any recommendations on what I should replace first.....or first, second, third, etc.
LJ12530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

__________________
This advertising will not be shown in this way to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum
   
Unread 11-04-2012, 04:01 PM   #2
Gone Wild
 
erict's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: East Michigan
Posts: 1,305
Default Re: Front Wheel Free Play Inspection

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJ12530 View Post
2005 Precedent. The king pin bracket is rubbing the inside of the rim on the left side. The right side has more clearance so it does not rub. When I raise the cart and grasp the left tire at the 9/3 position or the 6/12 position the tire moves quite a bit. It also appears that there is play in the king pin bracket where it attaches to the leaf spring. I also note a bit of play where the bottom of the shock absorber attaches.

I've researched the forums and have read that a fix ( perhaps not a complete fix ) is to replace the leaf spring bushings.

The maintenance and service manual for a 09 Precedent states that if the wheel rocks when tested as above it indicates that the hub bearing is worn; thefore the hub assembly must be replaced.

I'm guessing that the either the loose bushings caused the hub bearing to wear, or vice versa. I'm doing this repair job for a neighbor so I don't want to take on a bigger task than required, but I also want to solve the problem. Any recommendations on what I should replace first.....or first, second, third, etc.

Check the nut at the top of the spindle that attaches to the king pin. It is known to back off and cause the issue you are having. They have made an updated lock nut or you can use the old one but apply some blue locktite to the threads.
erict is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2012, 06:05 PM   #3
Gone Wild
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 165
Default Re: Front Wheel Free Play Inspection

I'll do that tomorrow and post the results. Thx. Hope it's that easy.
LJ12530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2012, 08:27 AM   #4
Gone Wild
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 165
Default Re: Front Wheel Free Play Inspection

Nut is tight. Suspicious of the hub bearing and other bushings being worn. When I elevate the front left tire I can wiggle it enough to see the clearance between the spring bracket and rim go to almost zero.
LJ12530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2012, 10:45 AM   #5
Gone Wild
Club Car
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 271
Default Re: Front Wheel Free Play Inspection

I'm working through this right now. In my case, the nut on top of the king pin on the drivers side spindle (3" jakes lift) would not tighten down tight enough allowing about 1/8 inch of play in the joint between the spindle and the upper/lower spring mounts.

I ended up putting a couple of washers just below the upper spring mount and that seemed to close the gap allowing me to get the nut tight on the king pin and the joint tightened up around the spindle.

I also had a little play in the hub and managed to get the nut on the axle tightened another notch tighter. (notch being the gap that the cotter pin runs through).

I'm hopeful to find out this afternoon if these changes helped improve my front end that is giving a bumpy ride and lots of vibration up the steering column/wheel.

Good luck on yours and keep us posted.
txbonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2012, 09:55 PM   #6
Gone Wild
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 165
Default Re: Front Wheel Free Play Inspection

Is the upper spring mount the Upper Clevis Assembly as it is called in my IPL?
LJ12530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2012, 05:51 AM   #7
Gone Wild
Club Car
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 271
Default Re: Front Wheel Free Play Inspection

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJ12530 View Post
Is the upper spring mount the Upper Clevis Assembly as it is called in my IPL?
Yes. Sorry for not using technical terms. :)

See here item 16
http://www.golfcartpartsdirect.com/e...tshow/245.html
txbonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2012, 04:35 PM   #8
Gone Wild
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 165
Default Re: Front Wheel Free Play Inspection

Just to make sure....you put a couple of washers below nut #17 and then tightened the nut? I'm trying to understand how that wouldn't just pull the shock and the A arm ( I'm using a pic/terminology from a 2005 Precedent IPL ) down rather than pulling king pin assembly up since the king pin assembly has the leaf spring attached to it.

The guy is bring down the cart this evening so I'll give it a shot and keep you posted. Thx for the help. The reason for the terminology from the IPL is simply because I don't really know what I'm talking about, or doing, but I can look at pictures and hopefully learn from folks who do know.
LJ12530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2012, 04:38 PM   #9
Gone Wild
Club Car
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 271
Default Re: Front Wheel Free Play Inspection

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJ12530 View Post
Just to make sure....you put a couple of washers below nut #17 and then tightened the nut? I'm trying to understand how that wouldn't just pull the shock and the A arm ( I'm using a pic/terminology from a 2005 Precedent IPL ) down rather than pulling king pin assembly up since the king pin assembly has the leaf spring attached to it.

The guy is bring down the cart this evening so I'll give it a shot and keep you posted. Thx for the help. The reason for the terminology from the IPL is simply because I don't really know what I'm talking about, or doing, but I can look at pictures and hopefully learn from folks who do know.
No. I put them between number 18 bearing thrust and 16 delta upper Clevis. They just took uP the extra space I had there and prevented extra play and movement.
txbonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2012, 04:44 PM   #10
Gone Wild
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 165
Default Re: Front Wheel Free Play Inspection

Got it! On the '05 it looks like that takes a 12 MM washer. On your diagram it looks like it is 1/2 inch nut........so they're pretty much the same.
LJ12530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car


Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Marathon Steering Wheel Play Electric EZGO
steering wheel play Electric EZGO
Steering Wheel Play Gas EZGO
Front wheel play Gas Columbia ParCar
Steering wheel play Electric EZGO


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:21 AM.


Club Car Electric | EZGO Electric | Lifted Golf Carts | Gas EZGO | Used Golf Carts and Parts

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.