lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars



Post New Thread  Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-25-2012, 07:33 PM   #1
Not Yet Wild
 
Gydyup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 52
Default Testing batteries

I think I have comitted the cardinal sin. I drove my buggy a bit, then let it sit for weeks while I was off hunting etc, it turned cold etc.

Yesterday, I charged it up, drove it out of the garage, parked it in the yard while I cleaned the garage. Got in it after a couple hours to take the kids for a ride, and nothing. Doing that little jerky dance, like the time it did have a battery go bad.

I suspect my batteries are on the edge, so should I bother testing, or just replace them. Could all be bad or once again, just one battery?

Can you bring one back from the dead?

I have not idea how to test batteries, or what you need.
Gydyup is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

__________________
This advertising will not be shown in this way to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum
   
Unread 11-26-2012, 08:31 AM   #2
The Last Moja Morani
 
shadowman's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: jumping from cart to cart
Posts: 8,975
Default Re: Testing batteries

charge it up till charger shuts off ( check water 1st ) after done charging let it sit a while then check voltage in each battery and load test each one, you,ll find your issue.......how old are batteries?.................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2012, 09:18 AM   #3
Not Yet Wild
 
Gydyup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 52
Default Re: Testing batteries

I was looking at U tube and other sources, saw a lot of different methods for checking voltage.
Some say pole to pole (voltage across pos/neg terminals) others had checking voltage across each cell?

When load testing and volt testing, do you leave the batteries connected to the series. Im not an electrical guy, but it seems the readings would be influenced since they are all hooked together.

Batteries are probably getting too old, they didnt date tag em when they put them in. I did have to replace one last summer, and the cart guy said they are getting to the end.

What and where is a good source of batteries. Mine are 8V, looking on line, I am seeing most in the high 90 dollar range?
Gydyup is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2012, 10:41 AM   #4
Cartsunlimited.net
 
scottyb's Avatar
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 64,079
Default Re: Testing batteries

Batteries that are nearing the end of their useful life never fair well in one of these accidental deep discharge events. It is my experience that this type of deep discharge can be the straw that breaks the camel's back for one or more of the batteries.
You can patch the pack together by identifying the weakest battery(s) and replacing it or them and hoping they make a year or just go for broke and replace the pack.

The tester only reads what is between the test leads. Post the 6 battery readings here.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2012, 09:57 AM   #5
The Last Moja Morani
 
shadowman's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: jumping from cart to cart
Posts: 8,975
Default Re: Testing batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gydyup View Post
I was looking at U tube and other sources, saw a lot of different methods for checking voltage.
Some say pole to pole (voltage across pos/neg terminals) others had checking voltage across each cell?

When load testing and volt testing, do you leave the batteries connected to the series. Im not an electrical guy, but it seems the readings would be influenced since they are all hooked together.

Batteries are probably getting too old, they didnt date tag em when they put them in. I did have to replace one last summer, and the cart guy said they are getting to the end.

What and where is a good source of batteries. Mine are 8V, looking on line, I am seeing most in the high 90 dollar range?



you can leave all cables hooked up just tape or clip meter leads to each battery as your testing them.................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2012, 11:04 AM   #6
Not Yet Wild
 
Gydyup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 52
Default Re: Testing batteries

Thanks, spent last night finishing up my gun safe install, gonna turn to the batteries.
I am hoping I can just replace one or two, then get on a program of one or two a month.
guy I work with says he can get me a set of good used batteries for 100, sounds like a not so good idea, prolonging the agony.
Gydyup is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2012, 11:45 AM   #7
Gone Wild
 
simple man's Avatar
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bunnell, Florida
Posts: 2,408
Default Re: Testing batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gydyup View Post
Thanks, spent last night finishing up my gun safe install, gonna turn to the batteries.
I am hoping I can just replace one or two, then get on a program of one or two a month.
guy I work with says he can get me a set of good used batteries for 100, sounds like a not so good idea, prolonging the agony.
$100 for a set of good used batteries is a deal, especially for 8V's! They are worth $24 here just for the core charge!
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2012, 02:24 PM   #8
Not Yet Wild
 
Gydyup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 52
Default Re: Testing batteries

Yeah, but for how long. I already have maybe 6 cores now, I dont need six more
Quote:
Originally Posted by simple man View Post
$100 for a set of good used batteries is a deal, especially for 8V's! They are worth $24 here just for the core charge!
Gydyup is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2012, 10:12 PM   #9
Gone Wild
 
simple man's Avatar
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bunnell, Florida
Posts: 2,408
Default Re: Testing batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gydyup View Post
Yeah, but for how long. I already have maybe 6 cores now, I dont need six more
No real way to tell how long they'll last. I'd check the date of manufacture ( if possible ), are they properly filled and clean? ( cared for ) These are things I would look for. If they are over 5yrs old, you're playing roulette! Oh, by the way that core price is for each battery!
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2012, 08:52 PM   #10
Not Yet Wild
 
Gydyup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 52
Default Re: Testing batteries

I ran a volt test on my batteries tonight, charged last night.
Then put the charger on it tonight, read somewhere to test em while the charger is running, then again with charger off.

Here are my readings:
Chrgr On Chrgr off
Bat 1 - 9.9V 9.2V
Bat 2 9.8V 9.2V
Bat 3 13.3V 8.7V
Bat 4 9.9V 9.2V
Bat 5 9.8V 9.2V
Bat 6 10.8V 9.4V (this is a new battery I had installed in Aug)

Im not an electrician, but seems like something is going on with # 3. I was looking in the stickys for what the readings should be, couldnt find it.

I went all over looking for a Hyrgrometer tonight, couldnt find one at Wally world, Home Depot etc. Will hit NAPA or Auto Zone for that and the the SG readings.
Gydyup is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car


Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Testing ind batteries and pack Electric EZGO
Testing batteries Electric Club Car
1995 Medalist - testing without batteries Electric EZGO
Testing Batteries on a 36v Electric Club Car
testing batteries Electric Club Car


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:08 AM.


Club Car Electric | EZGO Electric | Lifted Golf Carts | Gas EZGO | Used Golf Carts and Parts

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.