lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars



Post New Thread  Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-05-2012, 05:30 PM   #1
Not Yet Wild
 
mandofire1980's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Alva, FL
Posts: 26
Default 96 DS Running rough and slow...??

Hello everyone..

I have a 96 DS 48 volt..two month old power tron batteries, six inch buggies lift and 22" tires..

This thing has been running great, until yesterday. It sat on the charger for a week before we took it out. Speeds would fluctuate from 15 to 10 to 7 to 11, etc...(on flat ground)..it almost feels like a pulse in the pedal at times..you can definitely feel when it is about to slow down..

All batteries test great. I double checked tire pressure and alignment. all are fine.

Where do I go from here? I have read a few threads about controllers, pots (?), and so on..

where is the best place to start narrowing this thing down before i take it to a shop? I am not totally incompetent, but I am new to carts and don't want to chase my tail with this thing.

Thank you for any help in advance..

Ryan
mandofire1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

__________________
This advertising will not be shown in this way to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum
   
Unread 12-05-2012, 06:15 PM   #2
Cartsunlimited.net
 
scottyb's Avatar
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 64,088
Default Re: 96 DS Running rough and slow...??

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandofire1980 View Post
Hello everyone..

I have a 96 DS 48 volt..two month old power tron batteries, six inch buggies lift and 22" tires..

This thing has been running great, until yesterday. It sat on the charger for a week before we took it out. Speeds would fluctuate from 15 to 10 to 7 to 11, etc...(on flat ground)..it almost feels like a pulse in the pedal at times..you can definitely feel when it is about to slow down..

All batteries test great. I double checked tire pressure and alignment. all are fine.

Where do I go from here? I have read a few threads about controllers, pots (?), and so on..

where is the best place to start narrowing this thing down before i take it to a shop? I am not totally incompetent, but I am new to carts and don't want to chase my tail with this thing.

Thank you for any help in advance..

Ryan
A pulse in the peddle sounds like a mechanical problem, the throttle position signal is an ohms signal but the peddle that operates it may have some slack or slop problem?

Can you verify your throttle type? 96 was a change year, maybe post some pics if you don't find loose linkage?
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2012, 11:17 AM   #3
Not Yet Wild
 
mandofire1980's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Alva, FL
Posts: 26
Default Re: 96 DS Running rough and slow...??

Here is a picture of the underside of my throttle...

Thanks again for your help...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1353.jpg (108.7 KB, 0 views)
mandofire1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2012, 11:18 AM   #4
Not Yet Wild
 
mandofire1980's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Alva, FL
Posts: 26
Default Re: 96 DS Running rough and slow...??

also, everything seems pretty snug under there..
mandofire1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2012, 05:52 PM   #5
Not Yet Wild
 
mandofire1980's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Alva, FL
Posts: 26
Default Re: 96 DS Running rough and slow...??

Well, I may have started to correct my own problem...Maybe.

I am running 22" Sahara Classics on 10" rims...They were at 20+ psi (shipped pressure)..I backed them down to about 7 (recommended sidewall pressure is 5 psi)..My speed via gps is maintaining at 13 mph now..(before any problems I was running 15-17 steady)..

My question is this: I am assuming the tires are "biting" more road thus going a little slower..Is 13 mph an acceptable speed for this cart? Could something be failing or getting close that I should be looking at?

Thanks again!
mandofire1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2012, 04:38 PM   #6
Member #16,745
 
jakesnake27's Avatar
Harley Davidson
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Missouri
Posts: 9,904
Default Re: 96 DS Running rough and slow...??

Hey just FYI-
I had a 96 series before I got my newer cart, and that black box under the pedal is the potentiometer or pot for short. Anyway, there are 2 screws that hold the cover on, and when you take it off, there is a little lever tightened on a rod. It could have come loose, causing a pulsating effect. You can also play with it until you get the correct acceleration and top speed. Mine was turned all the way down when I bought the cart, so I was only going about half the speed I could have been going!
jakesnake27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2012, 05:34 PM   #7
Cartsunlimited.net
 
scottyb's Avatar
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 64,088
Default Re: 96 DS Running rough and slow...??

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesnake27 View Post
Hey just FYI-
I had a 96 series before I got my newer cart, and that black box under the pedal is the potentiometer or pot for short. Anyway, there are 2 screws that hold the cover on, and when you take it off, there is a little lever tightened on a rod. It could have come loose, causing a pulsating effect. You can also play with it until you get the correct acceleration and top speed. Mine was turned all the way down when I bought the cart, so I was only going about half the speed I could have been going!
Thank you Jake, that's what I am talking about a mechanical problem with the signal sender...
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2012, 01:52 PM   #8
Not Yet Wild
 
mandofire1980's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Alva, FL
Posts: 26
Default Re: 96 DS Running rough and slow...??

Thanks guys..I will check that out..I just ordered a HD Forward Reverse switch and upgraded cables as well..I believe my switch is going out (as well or IS the problem).I could not get into forward or reverse the first ten times I tried to put it in 'gear' the other day. Could that have contributed to my speed loss? A bad connection at the switch? .Also I have been running 6 gauge cables and have been told by two cart guys that I work with that I need at least 4 gauge on a lifted cart..Hope this does the trick as well..Can't hurt, right?

Thanks again..
mandofire1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2012, 02:37 PM   #9
Not Yet Wild
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 38
Default

That is an old continuously variable pot, not the most reliable potentiometer ClubCar used. Normally they are swapped out for a Mcor kit when speed troubles arise. Might not be your problem, but it is something to suspect.

Rom
Romrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2012, 04:10 PM   #10
Member #16,745
 
jakesnake27's Avatar
Harley Davidson
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Missouri
Posts: 9,904
Default Re: 96 DS Running rough and slow...??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romrok View Post
That is an old continuously variable pot, not the most reliable potentiometer ClubCar used. Normally they are swapped out for a Mcor kit when speed troubles arise. Might not be your problem, but it is something to suspect.

Rom
Yes, that is exactly right. It probably should be converted to an MCOR. Pot boxes are not a great setup...
jakesnake27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
batteries, chugging, rough, slow, steering
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car


Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
running rough Gas Columbia ParCar
G9 running rough Gas Yamaha
G9 Running rough Gas Yamaha
'86 running rough Gas EZGO
G16 Running rough Gas Yamaha


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:22 PM.


Club Car Electric | EZGO Electric | Lifted Golf Carts | Gas EZGO | Used Golf Carts and Parts

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.