lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars



Post New Thread  Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-26-2013, 10:54 PM   #1
Gone Wild
Club Car
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 424
Default Question about battery cables

I have decided to build my own battery cables out of 2awg welding cable, I was wondering do i need to solder the lugs on or is crimping them good enough.
bajarebel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

__________________
This advertising will not be shown in this way to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum
   
Unread 03-27-2013, 12:32 PM   #2
Member #16,745
 
jakesnake27's Avatar
Harley Davidson
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Missouri
Posts: 9,866
Default Re: Question about battery cables

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajarebel1 View Post
I have decided to build my own battery cables out of 2awg welding cable, I was wondering do i need to solder the lugs on or is crimping them good enough.
I think I have heard that you should do both, but get with Scottyb, he builds them and sells them...
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2013, 02:38 PM   #3
Not your usual outlaw
 
essness's Avatar
Yamaha
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Near Lake Geneva, WI
Posts: 19,854
Default Re: Question about battery cables

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesnake27 View Post
I think I have heard that you should do both, but get with Scottyb, he builds them and sells them...
Maybe give Budweiser a call and ask for their beer recipe while you're at it
essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2013, 03:04 PM   #4
Gone Wild
Club Car
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 424
Default Re: Question about battery cables

Quote:
Originally Posted by essness View Post
Maybe give Budweiser a call and ask for their beer recipe while you're at it
I prefer coors light
I was hoping there were some other DIY that could share their advice.
bajarebel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2013, 03:08 PM   #5
Gone Wild
 
CRK's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Apex, NC
Posts: 490
Default Re: Question about battery cables

Solder and heat shrink... No crimping, use silver solder plugs and closed ended lugs.
CRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2013, 03:11 PM   #6
Not your usual outlaw
 
essness's Avatar
Yamaha
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Near Lake Geneva, WI
Posts: 19,854
Default Re: Question about battery cables

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajarebel1 View Post
I prefer coors light
I was hoping there were some other DIY that could share their advice.
And I'm a Miller guy. crimp or solder appears to be as contentious as gas or electric. Bottom line, ensure the best connection you can get.

Good luck baja
essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2013, 04:10 PM   #7
Member #16,745
 
jakesnake27's Avatar
Harley Davidson
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Missouri
Posts: 9,866
Default Re: Question about battery cables

Quote:
Originally Posted by essness View Post
Maybe give Budweiser a call and ask for their beer recipe while you're at it
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2013, 10:42 AM   #8
Not Yet Wild
Club Car
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 46
Default Re: Question about battery cables

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRK View Post
Solder and heat shrink... No crimping, use silver solder plugs and closed ended lugs.
It was my understanding that soldering alone was not good. The solder has no mechanical strength to hold it together. I thought crimping was a must, then soldering would help insure a good electrical connection. But as always, I could be mistaken
plivanec is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2013, 11:12 AM   #9
Stay thirsty my friends!
 
gornoman's Avatar
Mixed Breed
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Suburban Chicago
Posts: 25,020
Default Re: Question about battery cables

Quote:
Originally Posted by plivanec View Post
It was my understanding that soldering alone was not good. The solder has no mechanical strength to hold it together. I thought crimping was a must, then soldering would help insure a good electrical connection. But as always, I could be mistaken
You are mistaken this time. Properly soldered cable lugs are extremely strong.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car


Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
4 ga battery cables for ez go Golf Carts and Parts
Question about battery cables Electric EZGO
Battery cables Electric Club Car
1/0 Battery Cables to 6 AWG Motor Cables Electric EZGO
scored some nice cables...and a battery question Electric EZGO


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:43 AM.


Club Car Electric | EZGO Electric | Lifted Golf Carts | Gas EZGO | Used Golf Carts and Parts

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.