lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars



Post New Thread  Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-25-2013, 01:35 PM   #1
Gone Wild
 
CartTrader's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ohio-In Summer, Central Florida-In winter
Posts: 887
Default PowerDrive charger differnces

What is the actual difference between the PowerDrive 1, the PD 2 and the PD 3 chargers? I know the PD 2 is quite a bit smaller than the PD 1. I have them both. Also I know that any of the 3 will work on any 48v CC. Did they make some kind of change on the insides? Upgrades? Just curious.

CartTrader
CartTrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

__________________
This advertising will not be shown in this way to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum
   
Unread 07-25-2013, 03:21 PM   #2
Gone Wild
 
caokgafamily's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ga
Posts: 730
Default Re: PowerDrive charger differnces

CartTrader,

I'm not the expert , I own a pw 2 & 3. I believe the pw3 works different vs the pw2 in how it chargers? I believe the pw2 has a larger capacitor/transformer and the pw3 just sends the juice straight? Does this make any sense?

Steve
caokgafamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2013, 03:46 PM   #3
Gone Wild
 
CartTrader's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ohio-In Summer, Central Florida-In winter
Posts: 887
Default Re: PowerDrive charger differnces

Quote:
Originally Posted by caokgafamily View Post
CartTrader,

I'm not the expert , I own a pw 2 & 3. I believe the pw3 works different vs the pw2 in how it chargers? I believe the pw2 has a larger capacitor/transformer and the pw3 just sends the juice straight? Does this make any sense?

Steve
Make sense? Yes and no!! Why the change?

CartTrader
CartTrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2013, 07:26 PM   #4
Member #16,745
 
jakesnake27's Avatar
Harley Davidson
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Missouri
Posts: 9,862
Default Re: PowerDrive charger differnces

I too am a little foggy on this topic.
TahoeDawg should know, I hope he chimes in.
I also heard that they are all compatible with any 48v CC.
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2013, 10:31 PM   #5
Dawg Gone Wild
 
TahoeDawgZ71's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Golf Car Capital of The World... Augusta, Georgia
Posts: 7,960
Default Re: PowerDrive charger differnces

The PowerDrive charger is the best charger they've ever had. It's build with top quality components and has a lower failure rate than either of the other 2. The PD2 charger was more compact and easier to work on. It used a bridge rectifier instead of the old fashioned heatsink. It was also a very good unit, but more prone to rectifier failure than was the original with the heatsink. The PD3 (I hate these things) is loud, obnoxious, hot running, and a pain in the you know what to work on. However, it seems to charge the battery pack faster than either of the other two. A bridge rectifier (50 amp flavor) was included in early PD3s but was substituted with two heatsinks similar to the original PD heatsinks and still remains that way today. It's a good charger, but loves to get hot so keep it well ventilated.

My vote.... PowerDrive2 charger with a 50 amp rectifier. A quality, compact product designed to last.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2013, 10:42 PM   #6
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
 
93yellowclubcar's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 4,094
Default Re: PowerDrive charger differnces

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
The PowerDrive charger is the best charger they've ever had. It's build with top quality components and has a lower failure rate than either of the other 2. The PD2 charger was more compact and easier to work on. It used a bridge rectifier instead of the old fashioned heatsink. It was also a very good unit, but more prone to rectifier failure than was the original with the heatsink. The PD3 (I hate these things) is loud, obnoxious, hot running, and a pain in the you know what to work on. However, it seems to charge the battery pack faster than either of the other two. A bridge rectifier (50 amp flavor) was included in early PD3s but was substituted with two heatsinks similar to the original PD heatsinks and still remains that way today. It's a good charger, but loves to get hot so keep it well ventilated.

My vote.... PowerDrive2 charger with a 50 amp rectifier. A quality, compact product designed to last.
Info like ^^THIS^^ is why I love this forum. I always wondered about the difference myself until now. Not my thread, but thanks Tahoe!
93yellowclubcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2013, 11:03 PM   #7
Gone Wild
 
CartTrader's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ohio-In Summer, Central Florida-In winter
Posts: 887
Default Re: PowerDrive charger differnces

93Yellowclubcar...Thought I was looking one of my carts there for a minute!! Mine is a 96!! Mine is named Old Yeller!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Old Yeller.jpg (129.1 KB, 0 views)
CartTrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2013, 11:10 PM   #8
Gone Wild
 
CartTrader's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ohio-In Summer, Central Florida-In winter
Posts: 887
Default Re: PowerDrive charger differnces

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
The PowerDrive charger is the best charger they've ever had. It's build with top quality components and has a lower failure rate than either of the other 2. The PD2 charger was more compact and easier to work on. It used a bridge rectifier instead of the old fashioned heatsink. It was also a very good unit, but more prone to rectifier failure than was the original with the heatsink. The PD3 (I hate these things) is loud, obnoxious, hot running, and a pain in the you know what to work on. However, it seems to charge the battery pack faster than either of the other two. A bridge rectifier (50 amp flavor) was included in early PD3s but was substituted with two heatsinks similar to the original PD heatsinks and still remains that way today. It's a good charger, but loves to get hot so keep it well ventilated.

My vote.... PowerDrive2 charger with a 50 amp rectifier. A quality, compact product designed to last.
Thanks TD....Finally I know!! I have 2 of each and am going to sell a couple of the carts that they go with and wondered which was a better one to keep for myself.

CartTarder
CartTrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2013, 11:20 PM   #9
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
 
93yellowclubcar's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 4,094
Default Re: PowerDrive charger differnces

Quote:
Originally Posted by CartTrader View Post
93Yellowclubcar...Thought I was looking one of my carts there for a minute!! Mine is a 96!! Mine is named Old Yeller!!
That's a sharp cart!

Mine's named Tina! (My mom's name. I was building it for her and it kinda took a different direction. The name stuck ever since)

I put a build thread in the Member's Rides section the other day:
My 93 Club Car Build
93yellowclubcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2013, 11:27 PM   #10
Gone Wild
 
CartTrader's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ohio-In Summer, Central Florida-In winter
Posts: 887
Default Re: PowerDrive charger differnces

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93yellowclubcar View Post
That's a sharp cart!

Mine's named Tina! (My mom's name. I was building it for her and it kinda took a different direction. The name stuck ever since)

I put a build thread in the Member's Rides section the other day:
My 93 Club Car Build
Thanks... I did a BIG conversion with mine...won't go into it all here. check out some of my threads I talk about it.... But I am street legal inspected and titled as a LSV. Top end right at 35MPH. Now that I have done it I will not do it again, this thing is scary at top speed!!

CartTrader
CartTrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car


Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Powerdrive 3 charger Electric Club Car
RXV vs. TXT - Differnces ??? Gas EZGO
powerdrive 3 charger Electric Club Car
PowerDrive vs. PowerDrive 2 Charger? Electric Club Car
PowerDrive Charger Electric Club Car


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:06 AM.


Club Car Electric | EZGO Electric | Lifted Golf Carts | Gas EZGO | Used Golf Carts and Parts

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.