lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars



Post New Thread  Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-12-2013, 06:07 PM   #1
Not Yet Wild
Club Car
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: NW Florida
Posts: 66
Default Precedent Tierods ----How much play is too much

Need help troubleshooting a steering linkage issue with a 2008.5 Club Car Precedent , adjusted the alignment today however noticed some play and noise when turning steering wheel from left to right quickly . I can also grab the tie rod between where it is attached to the spindle and the boot and push/ pull causing the same noise and play on each side this is the same . Is this issue # 1 dangerous and #2 can it be solved with adjustments . Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated
Thank You
ProSouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

__________________
This advertising will not be shown in this way to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum
   
Unread 08-12-2013, 06:19 PM   #2
72 volt torque monster
 
scottginfla's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Sorrento, FLA
Posts: 589
Default Re: Precedent Tierods ----How much play is too much

there should not be any play in your ball joint, and could be considered dangerous depending on how you use the cart. you cannot adjust out a bad ball joint. Just replace them
scottginfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2013, 06:30 PM   #3
Not Yet Wild
Club Car
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: NW Florida
Posts: 66
Default Re: Precedent Tierods ----How much play is too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottginfla View Post
there should not be any play in your ball joint, and could be considered dangerous depending on how you use the cart. you cannot adjust out a bad ball joint. Just replace them
Ok thanks for the quick response , So are we talking the entire steering box assembly or just the tie rods ?
ProSouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2013, 06:40 PM   #4
72 volt torque monster
 
scottginfla's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Sorrento, FLA
Posts: 589
Default Re: Precedent Tierods ----How much play is too much

I don't think that the steering box needs to be replaced, but if your tie rods have that much play, probly some of the other rubber bushings in the front end may also need replacing, and also the rubber bushings on the rear spring, just saying to check things out.

none of these parts are very expensive.

you might as well also check out the front wheel bearings while you are at it
scottginfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2013, 06:53 PM   #5
Not Yet Wild
Club Car
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: NW Florida
Posts: 66
Default Re: Precedent Tierods ----How much play is too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottginfla View Post
I don't think that the steering box needs to be replaced, but if your tie rods have that much play, probly some of the other rubber bushings in the front end may also need replacing, and also the rubber bushings on the rear spring, just saying to check things out.

none of these parts are very expensive.

you might as well also check out the front wheel bearings while you are at it
Ok that all sounds like great advice , I have been researching parts online since your response and have only found links to Inner tie rods at about 37.00 per , I'm thinking this movement,is as you have stated coming from the ball joints . Is this called the outer tie rod ? I will look for a diagram of the entire steering system and replace worn parts
ProSouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2017, 11:19 PM   #6
Not Yet Wild
Club Car
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Ponte Vedra, FL
Posts: 10
Default Re: Precedent Tierods ----How much play is too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProSouth View Post
Ok that all sounds like great advice , I have been researching parts online since your response and have only found links to Inner tie rods at about 37.00 per , I'm thinking this movement,is as you have stated coming from the ball joints . Is this called the outer tie rod ? I will look for a diagram of the entire steering system and replace worn parts
Did you figure out where the noise was coming from and what needed to be replaced to fix it?
irwinj06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
precedent, steering, tie rods
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car


Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Club Car Precedent Plug and Play 16V-12V Reducer Golf Carts and Parts
End Play Gas Harley Davidson
Hey! Can I play too? Drivers Clubs
WTB g2/9 front A arms and tierods Golf Carts and Parts


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:43 AM.


Club Car Electric | EZGO Electric | Lifted Golf Carts | Gas EZGO | Used Golf Carts and Parts

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.