lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars



Post New Thread  Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-12-2013, 10:15 AM   #1
Not Yet Wild
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 72
Default 2003 Club car DS Runs then slows to a crawl

Hi Guys,
Trying to help my neighbor with his 2003 48v Club Car DS series cart. The pack voltage is over 50v. On a full charged he drove it about 500 yards and it slowed to a crawl (barely moving). He limped it back to his driveway. We checked the pack voltage and it was still showing over 50v. He let it sit a couple of hours and drove it again. He drove it about 400 yards and it slowed to a crawl again. Again the pack voltage was still over 50 volts. Any ideas?

Thanks
jmarkklock is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

__________________
This advertising will not be shown in this way to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum
   
Unread 09-12-2013, 10:18 AM   #2
Member #16,745
 
jakesnake27's Avatar
Harley Davidson
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Missouri
Posts: 9,866
Default Re: 2003 Club car DS Runs then slows to a crawl

Voltage can be deceiving. Does it shudder or just stop altogether? I would load test each battery with a volt meter.
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2013, 10:34 AM   #3
Not Yet Wild
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 72
Default Re: 2003 Club car DS Runs then slows to a crawl

It does not stop, it just slows down to a barley moving crawl. No shuddering or shaking. Also batteries were each load tested and all showed good.
jmarkklock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2013, 11:42 AM   #4
Dawg Gone Wild
 
TahoeDawgZ71's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Golf Car Capital of The World... Augusta, Georgia
Posts: 7,963
Default Re: 2003 Club car DS Runs then slows to a crawl

Test throttle frequency.... It should range from 6100 ohms at no throttle to 1100 ohms at full throttle. To do this you must un-plug the green and yellow blade terminal from the controller. Insert probes from multimeter into the ends of these wires. Set to 20k ohms. Car in Forward, keyswitch ON. Cycle pedal from top to bottom and tell me the range you see on your screen.

Test controller voltage input. Set meter to DC200 Volts. Red probe on B+ of controller. Black probe on B-. Pedal depressed fully. Should read total battery pack voltage. (Same voltage as you get from checking the battery pack)

Test controller output voltage - Meter still on DC200. Red probe on B+, Black on M-. Voltage should rise all the way up to full pack voltage as pedal is depressed. Once pedal is on the floor if you don't read full battery pack voltage you must replace the controller due to weak output.
TahoeDawgZ71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2013, 12:36 PM   #5
Not Yet Wild
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 72
Default Re: 2003 Club car DS Runs then slows to a crawl

Hi David,
Thanks for your help. The throttle frequency test: Pedal all the way up 7.4K ohms (7400). Pedal fully depressed 2.01k ohms(2010). As far as the controller input and output voltages, I did not see any markings on the controller, I could not tell what was B+, B-, and M-. Am I missing something obvious?
jmarkklock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2013, 12:37 PM   #6
Cartsunlimited.net
 
scottyb's Avatar
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 64,053
Default Re: 2003 Club car DS Runs then slows to a crawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
Test throttle frequency.... It should range from 6100 ohms at no throttle to 1100 ohms at full throttle. To do this you must un-plug the green and yellow blade terminal from the controller. Insert probes from multimeter into the ends of these wires. Set to 20k ohms. Car in Forward, keyswitch ON. Cycle pedal from top to bottom and tell me the range you see on your screen.

Test controller voltage input. Set meter to DC200 Volts. Red probe on B+ of controller. Black probe on B-. Pedal depressed fully. Should read total battery pack voltage. (Same voltage as you get from checking the battery pack)

Test controller output voltage - Meter still on DC200. Red probe on B+, Black on M-. Voltage should rise all the way up to full pack voltage as pedal is depressed. Once pedal is on the floor if you don't read full battery pack voltage you must replace the controller due to weak output.
NICE to see a professional at work
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2013, 12:44 PM   #7
Dawg Gone Wild
 
TahoeDawgZ71's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Golf Car Capital of The World... Augusta, Georgia
Posts: 7,963
Default Re: 2003 Club car DS Runs then slows to a crawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarkklock View Post
Hi David,
Thanks for your help. The throttle frequency test: Pedal all the way up 7.4K ohms (7400). Pedal fully depressed 2.01k ohms(2010). As far as the controller input and output voltages, I did not see any markings on the controller, I could not tell what was B+, B-, and M-. Am I missing something obvious?
The throttle frequency is fine at the top. 7400 is normal, I was more or less referring to 6100 or so once the micro switch clicked to engage the solenoid which would require a little bit of pedal travel. As for the 2010 ohms it sounds as if you may not be getting full throttle due to a wear issue. Does your park brake lock? Does your accel pedal wiggle up and down as if it's got some play in it? It should be tight with no up and down motion. You may have to replace some pieces under the cart floorboard to fix this.

As for the posts of the controller, on some models they're stamped into the posts, on others they're on the controller itself next to the post but here's an easy guide...

B+ - Yellow/Green Wires
B- Black Wires
M- Blue Wire
TahoeDawgZ71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2013, 01:12 PM   #8
Not Yet Wild
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 72
Default Re: 2003 Club car DS Runs then slows to a crawl

Thank you David, I will test controller input and output voltages shortly. I really appreciate your help.
jmarkklock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2013, 02:08 PM   #9
Not Yet Wild
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 72
Default Re: 2003 Club car DS Runs then slows to a crawl

Hi David,
We put the cart on jack stands and measured the controller input and output voltages:

Red on B+ and Black on B- 49.9 volts (just .1 under pack voltage)

Red on B+ and Black on M- only got up to 21 volts and when the pedal was held all the way down it dropped and held at 17.9 volts

I guess this means a new controller?
jmarkklock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2013, 03:25 PM   #10
Dawg Gone Wild
 
TahoeDawgZ71's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Golf Car Capital of The World... Augusta, Georgia
Posts: 7,963
Default Re: 2003 Club car DS Runs then slows to a crawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarkklock View Post
Hi David,
We put the cart on jack stands and measured the controller input and output voltages:

Red on B+ and Black on B- 49.9 volts (just .1 under pack voltage)

Red on B+ and Black on M- only got up to 21 volts and when the pedal was held all the way down it dropped and held at 17.9 volts

I guess this means a new controller?
Probably.... You need to get your throttle to open up all the way first. Did you see my question about the slop in the pedal? Your MCOR isn't telling your controller to open up all the way. This is the first problem to correct. After this is corrected if the output voltage is still too low then we'll change the controller.
TahoeDawgZ71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car


Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Emerge Slows to a Crawl after 2.0 Miles Tomberlin
My 93 marathon slows to a crawl does yours Electric EZGO
04 Villager slows to a crawl on type of any incline Electric Club Car
91 EZ GO has burst of power for 10 seconds then slows to a crawl Electric EZGO


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:24 PM.


Club Car Electric | EZGO Electric | Lifted Golf Carts | Gas EZGO | Used Golf Carts and Parts

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.