lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars



Post New Thread  Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-07-2013, 07:42 PM   #1
Old Sky Soldier
 
mrgolf's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 2,982
Default Electric question?

I have a 2003 cc DS. Everything works fine, but I have a question. I have headlights,tail lights,brake lights. Headlights are 55 watt bulbs. Tail/ brake lights are led. They all work fine. I also have a power outlet for my golf gps, I have one of those USB adapters for the power outlet. This all works fine. I am running all my lights, fan and power outlet from a 48 to12 volt converter. When I turn everything on all my stuff pulls a little under 10 amps. My voltage converter is rated at 15 peak 18 amps. I do not keep battery in my gps, I like for it to go off with key. Now my problem. When I turn on my headlights they cause my gps to go off. I still have power to it, just the surge makes it go off. Once the lights are on I can turn the gps back on, and it works fine. I can turn the headlights off and on as many times as I want and the gps stays on with no problem. If I turn everything off and start over it's the same routine. Is there a way to wire in a capacitor to absorb the surge. What size would I need. I know how to wire one in just not what size and not sure it would work. I know there are people that read these forums that know the answer. Thanks so much.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

__________________
This advertising will not be shown in this way to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum
   
Unread 10-07-2013, 07:45 PM   #2
Moderator
 
rib33024's Avatar
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: FT Lauderdale FL.
Posts: 13,169
Default Re: Electric question?

is the voltage converter on a switch and being turned off? or is it wired to stay on all the time
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2013, 08:57 PM   #3
Old Sky Soldier
 
mrgolf's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 2,982
Default Re: Electric question?

I have it on a relay operated by the key switch. Don't want any chance of drain on battery pack.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2013, 10:02 PM   #4
Gone Wild
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 912
Default Re: Electric question?

If you are turning on the lights I assume you are needing the GPS for glow ball?
Speedchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2013, 10:08 PM   #5
Gone Wild
 
Storm S's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: PBG, Florida
Posts: 247
Default Re: Electric question?

Yes you can use a cap. They are very simple to install. I would recommend the largest you can find simply because it is always better to have and not need then to need and not have. OBVIOUSLY I do not mean 1/4 farad or higher but small yet powerful. You will have two leads on the cap on on each end. Take the negative side and and soldier it to your negative wire of your power outlet. You will need to slow charge the cap so it does not over charge or rapid charge and pop in your face. I use a light bulb. Negative to the loose end of the cap and positive to positive. When the bulb goes out the cap is charged. Now for wiring the positive side. You do NOT want this cap to feed your lights or anything else so you will need a diode. 5 amp should be more then enough and can be purchased cheap at Radioshack. What you want to do is soldier the side of your diode with the stripe to the loose end of your cap. cut your positive wire to the outlet. the loose end of the diode will go to the cart side (your feed) and the other end where the two pieces are connected to your outlet. This will allow the outlet to draw from the cap when the main feed drops but will not let the main feed draw from the cap.
Storm S is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2013, 10:15 PM   #6
Gone Wild
 
Storm S's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: PBG, Florida
Posts: 247
Default Re: Electric question?

MrGolf check your message box. Sent you info.
Storm S is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2013, 02:27 AM   #7
Old Sky Soldier
 
mrgolf's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 2,982
Default Re: Electric question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedchaser View Post
If you are turning on the lights I assume you are needing the GPS for glow ball?
I knew someone would ask why the heck I needed the gps if was so dark I needed headlights. I shine the headlights on the ball while I hit. Then use the headlights to find the ball so that I can hit it again.

Truth is I just happen to notice the problem one day and it Buggs me that it happens.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2013, 02:38 AM   #8
Old Sky Soldier
 
mrgolf's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 2,982
Default Re: Electric question?

Thanks for the info Storm. I will get the parts tomorrow and give it a try.
I knew someone would know.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2013, 07:48 AM   #9
Gone Wild
 
Storm S's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: PBG, Florida
Posts: 247
Default Re: Electric question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgolf View Post
Thanks for the info Storm. I will get the parts tomorrow and give it a try.
I knew someone would know.
No worries.
Storm S is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2013, 11:42 AM   #10
Gone Wild
 
simple man's Avatar
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bunnell, Florida
Posts: 2,408
Default Re: Electric question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm S View Post
Yes you can use a cap. They are very simple to install. I would recommend the largest you can find simply because it is always better to have and not need then to need and not have. OBVIOUSLY I do not mean 1/4 farad or higher but small yet powerful. You will have two leads on the cap on on each end. Take the negative side and and soldier it to your negative wire of your power outlet. You will need to slow charge the cap so it does not over charge or rapid charge and pop in your face. I use a light bulb. Negative to the loose end of the cap and positive to positive. When the bulb goes out the cap is charged. Now for wiring the positive side. You do NOT want this cap to feed your lights or anything else so you will need a diode. 5 amp should be more then enough and can be purchased cheap at Radioshack. What you want to do is soldier the side of your diode with the stripe to the loose end of your cap. cut your positive wire to the outlet. the loose end of the diode will go to the cart side (your feed) and the other end where the two pieces are connected to your outlet. This will allow the outlet to draw from the cap when the main feed drops but will not let the main feed draw from the cap.
I'm by no means an electronics whiz, but what's going to happen when the OP turns off the voltage converter and turns it back on later? Won't the capacitor drain and then get hit with instant power again?
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car


Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Gas or Electric....that is the question... Gas EZGO
Gas or Electric...that is the question... Electric Club Car
Electric or Gas...that is the question Electric EZGO
electric 95 Ez Go spring question Electric EZGO
New guy gas to electric question. Big Block Talk!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:23 AM.


Club Car Electric | EZGO Electric | Lifted Golf Carts | Gas EZGO | Used Golf Carts and Parts

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.