lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars



Post New Thread  Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-04-2014, 06:28 PM   #1
Not Yet Wild
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 20
Default 07 or 08 Club Car? Couple other questions

I'm looking at 2 different carts, both Club cars, one 07 and one 08. I like the styling on the 08 a little better. Both are 48 volt carts, the 07 has 12 volt batteries, and the 08 has 8 volt batteries.

What's the difference between the 12v and 8v? Is one better than the other?

Is there anything significant between the model years?

I pan to lift it some, nothing to crazy, and run 22" or 23" wheels. Is the chassis the same on both?

I plan to use it in the camp grounds, and some light trail riding.

Thanks,
Onebean
Onebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

__________________
This advertising will not be shown in this way to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum
   
Unread 02-04-2014, 06:59 PM   #2
Member #16,745
 
jakesnake27's Avatar
Harley Davidson
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Missouri
Posts: 9,895
Default Re: 07 or 08 Club Car? Couple other questions

Welcome to BGW!

CC makes two different body styles. The DS and the Precedent. The DS was made from 1981-2012, and the Precedent from 2004-present. Both are great carts with aluminum frames.

As for whether 8v or 12v batteries are better, there is no question, the six 8v setup is lightyears better. Longer run times, as well as longer pack life. You are lucky to get 4 years out of a 12v pack, where as an 8v pack can go 6 or 7 years.
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2014, 07:22 PM   #3
Getting Wild
 
fleagt's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 125
Default Re: 07 or 08 Club Car? Couple other questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesnake27 View Post
Welcome to BGW!

CC makes two different body styles. The DS and the Precedent. The DS was made from 1981-2012, and the Precedent from 2004-present. Both are great carts with aluminum frames.

As for whether 8v or 12v batteries are better, there is no question, the six 8v setup is lightyears better. Longer run times, as well as longer pack life. You are lucky to get 4 years out of a 12v pack, where as an 8v pack can go 6 or 7 years.
ditto
fleagt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2014, 07:28 PM   #4
Cartsunlimited.net
 
scottyb's Avatar
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 64,081
Default Re: 07 or 08 Club Car? Couple other questions

I am reminded today the 2008-09 CC IQ were I2 drive systems and no upgrades are available at this time. Check and see if it has a gray controller stay away from it. The possibility of getting an I2 system makes the 07 a better bet.
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2014, 07:31 PM   #5
Member #16,745
 
jakesnake27's Avatar
Harley Davidson
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Missouri
Posts: 9,895
Default Re: 07 or 08 Club Car? Couple other questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
I am reminded today the 2008-09 CC IQ were I2 drive systems and no upgrades are available at this time. Check and see if it has a gray controller stay away from it. The possibility of getting an I2 system makes the 07 a better bet.
I2 is actually a body style, but you are right, Excel drive systems have no aftermarket controllers out yet. BUT you can replace the Excel wiring harness with an IQ harness and get any IQ controller. I have heard that the harness is 100% plug and play.
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2014, 09:47 PM   #6
Not Yet Wild
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 20
Default Re: 07 or 08 Club Car? Couple other questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesnake27 View Post
I2 is actually a body style, but you are right, Excel drive systems have no aftermarket controllers out yet. BUT you can replace the Excel wiring harness with an IQ harness and get any IQ controller. I have heard that the harness is 100% plug and play.
I'm brand new to this. Why will I need/want for an aftermarket controller upgrade? What is the wiring harness you talk about? Is it the whole cart wiring? I like the body style of the 08, and the 8 volt battery system sounds like the clear winner. Please give me more details on this controller and wiring swap. How hard and expensive is it? Does it make sense to get the body style and 8 volt batteries and worry about controller upgrades later? Sorry if these questions are obvious.

Onebean
Onebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2014, 09:55 PM   #7
DS Drivers Club Founder
 
CCFanatic's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 3,409
Default

Get with TahoeDawg, he can explain the Excel to IQ conversion. An upgraded controller can give you more speed and torque


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CCFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2014, 10:01 PM   #8
Gone Wild
 
mymonstertruck's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 508
Default Re: 07 or 08 Club Car? Couple other questions

actually i have a 2010 excel cart and there is a upgrade for the cart because i have installed in my cart. FSIP has a 300amp or a 500amp controller with a wire harness that's just a plug and play. so i would go with 08 precedent. not to mention look on the cart if the serial # starts with IQ then any IQ upgrade will work. if it starts with PH then its the i2 excel version. which is what i have currently. and the 6 8volt setup is nice i love it.
mymonstertruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2014, 10:03 PM   #9
DS Drivers Club Founder
 
CCFanatic's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 3,409
Default

Yes, I recommend the 6-8v setup over the 4-12v setup. Will result in a longer run time and longer overall battery pack life


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CCFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2014, 10:14 PM   #10
Member #16,745
 
jakesnake27's Avatar
Harley Davidson
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Missouri
Posts: 9,895
Default Re: 07 or 08 Club Car? Couple other questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onebean View Post
I'm brand new to this. Why will I need/want for an aftermarket controller upgrade? What is the wiring harness you talk about? Is it the whole cart wiring? I like the body style of the 08, and the 8 volt battery system sounds like the clear winner. Please give me more details on this controller and wiring swap. How hard and expensive is it? Does it make sense to get the body style and 8 volt batteries and worry about controller upgrades later? Sorry if these questions are obvious.

Onebean
Since you want to lift the cart and use it off road, you will definitely want to upgrade the controller for more torque. If the cart has an excel system, you will have to convert the wiring harness to do so. I'm not sure what that entails, like CCFanatic said hopefully TahoDawg will fill us in.
I would check the serial numbers of each cart to see exactly what model and drive system they are. There is a serial number decoder list above in the stickies...
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car


Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
1986 gas Club car couple questions Gas Club Car
Couple of Questions about my club car Electric Club Car
A couple G22 questions Gas Yamaha
couple of questions Electric Club Car
a couple of questions Gas Yamaha


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:02 AM.


Club Car Electric | EZGO Electric | Lifted Golf Carts | Gas EZGO | Used Golf Carts and Parts

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.