lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.



Post New Thread  Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-05-2018, 11:02 AM   #1
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 6
Default 2018 EZGO Express L6 Controller tuning

So I bought an electric Express L6 in October. have read on here that some have been able to tune these things to make them a much better running cart. Mine is disappointing and tops out at only 16mph. My neighborhood has a lot of hills and it won't accelerate going down hill, it seems more powerful going up as strange as that sounds. My dealer has a tuner and set it to go to 25mph but the settings didn't take. He has reached out to EZGO and a couple of other dealers and they told him that nothing can be done. They told him only the first versions of this cart can be tuned. Any suggestions? I have read that Bob Boyce is the foremost authority on these carts and I would love to do something with mine to make it run better. We live in a little town west of Fort Worth Texas.
GCBearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

__________________
This advertising will not be shown in this way to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum
   
Unread 12-05-2018, 12:01 PM   #2
Gone Wild
 
LukeL's Avatar
Yamaha
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 3,137
Default Re: 2018 EZGO Express L6 Controller tuning

Bob Boyce is the way to go for sure. Too bad youíre in Texas... but Iím sure heíll read this soon.

Heís a great guy and can do anything with controllers.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LukeL is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2018, 01:44 PM   #3
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: TN/NC/GA Tri-state area
Posts: 2,872
Default Re: 2018 EZGO Express L6 Controller tuning

The reason they cannot be programmed is Curtis has changed the programming requirements on the new controllers used in the newer L6 and TXT72V carts. It requires a programmer for an EV (Electric Vehicle) controller that is not found at the golf cart shops or dealers. I am fully equipped to program these. I hope your dealer did not mess up any settings while trying to up the speed. The menus he has access to cannot increase the speed, he can only slow it down to below that setting, not increase it. It is going to require a couple of hours of programming and tweaking it in order to get it set. Also, it is a dual controller, so it must be programmed twice. I have programmed more than a dozen of the new L6 and TXT72V controllers, so I am very familiar with them. The only issue is, it must be done in person. We would have to meet up so I can do this.

I also reprogram RXV and TXT48 controllers.

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2018, 03:35 PM   #4
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 6
Default Re: 2018 EZGO Express L6 Controller tuning

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
The reason they cannot be programmed is Curtis has changed the programming requirements on the new controllers used in the newer L6 and TXT72V carts. It requires a programmer for an EV (Electric Vehicle) controller that is not found at the golf cart shops or dealers. I am fully equipped to program these. I hope your dealer did not mess up any settings while trying to up the speed. The menus he has access to cannot increase the speed, he can only slow it down to below that setting, not increase it. It is going to require a couple of hours of programming and tweaking it in order to get it set. Also, it is a dual controller, so it must be programmed twice. I have programmed more than a dozen of the new L6 and TXT72V controllers, so I am very familiar with them. The only issue is, it must be done in person. We would have to meet up so I can do this.

I also reprogram RXV and TXT48 controllers.

Bob
Oh wow....ok thank you so much for the information! It sounds very complicated. Where would I need to bring it to in order to meet you in person?
GCBearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2018, 04:34 PM   #5
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: TN/NC/GA Tri-state area
Posts: 2,872
Default Re: 2018 EZGO Express L6 Controller tuning

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCBearcat View Post
Oh wow....ok thank you so much for the information! It sounds very complicated. Where would I need to bring it to in order to meet you in person?
I live east of Chattanooga TN, in the TN/NC/GA tristate area. I don't mind driving a bit, but the last time I drove through TX was in 2017 on my way to ABQ NM to speak at a conference. I could meet you partway.

There is one in Pensacola FL, one in Pheonix AZ, and one in MN. If we can get everyone coordinated, it could make for a fun trip. I just want to avoid the cold and snow. My daily driver has a 3 phase AC motor, but no heat! LOL

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2018, 05:00 PM   #6
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 6
Default Re: 2018 EZGO Express L6 Controller tuning

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
I live east of Chattanooga TN, in the TN/NC/GA tristate area. I don't mind driving a bit, but the last time I drove through TX was in 2017 on my way to ABQ NM to speak at a conference. I could meet you partway.

There is one in Pensacola FL, one in Pheonix AZ, and one in MN. If we can get everyone coordinated, it could make for a fun trip. I just want to avoid the cold and snow. My daily driver has a 3 phase AC motor, but no heat! LOL

Bob
Ha......yeah a bad time of year to not have heat! At least in Minnesota. Thank you for all of the information. Maybe we can figure something out around one of your speaking engagements.
GCBearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2018, 06:06 PM   #7
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: TN/NC/GA Tri-state area
Posts: 2,872
Default Re: 2018 EZGO Express L6 Controller tuning

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCBearcat View Post
Ha......yeah a bad time of year to not have heat! At least in Minnesota. Thank you for all of the information. Maybe we can figure something out around one of your speaking engagements.
2017 was my last one. They did not cover the speakers hotel rooms last year so we (myself and most of the other speakers) chose not to go and speak there anymore. From the poor turnout, I expect this year will be the last. The vendors also boycotted because the new speakers they scrounged up were all unknowns in the field with nothing of interest to offer the attendees.

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2018, 04:35 PM   #8
Not Yet Wild
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 6
Default Re: 2018 EZGO Express L6 Controller tuning

Joining this thread as I'm considering buying a 72v L6 this weekend.

BobBoyce, I'm intrigued by your knowledge. Do you know anyone in the Florida area who you would recommend to reprogram the EV controller?

I'm programer myself and consider myself to quite savvy with anything technical, electrical or mechanical. Is this something that can be easily done myself with the right harness/software?
fldave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2018, 06:26 PM   #9
Gone Wild
 
LukeL's Avatar
Yamaha
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 3,137
Default Re: 2018 EZGO Express L6 Controller tuning

Quote:
Originally Posted by fldave View Post
Joining this thread as I'm considering buying a 72v L6 this weekend.



BobBoyce, I'm intrigued by your knowledge. Do you know anyone in the Florida area who you would recommend to reprogram the EV controller?



I'm programer myself and consider myself to quite savvy with anything technical, electrical or mechanical. Is this something that can be easily done myself with the right harness/software?


Bob is the only one. Period. He has the only copies of his programmers in the whole world! He does go to Florida occasionally though. Iím sure heíll comment soon.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LukeL is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2018, 08:47 AM   #10
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: TN/NC/GA Tri-state area
Posts: 2,872
Default Re: 2018 EZGO Express L6 Controller tuning

Quote:
Originally Posted by fldave View Post
Joining this thread as I'm considering buying a 72v L6 this weekend.

BobBoyce, I'm intrigued by your knowledge. Do you know anyone in the Florida area who you would recommend to reprogram the EV controller?

I'm programer myself and consider myself to quite savvy with anything technical, electrical or mechanical. Is this something that can be easily done myself with the right harness/software?
As LukeL mentioned, the programmer required for those particular controllers is unique. Not even the hacked programmers that we developed can do it because Curtis has developed countermeasures in the new controller OS to detect and prevent a hacked programmer from communicating with it. It takes an original Curtis programmer, but at the highest acces level of a hacked one. I still have the Curtis one that I bought, and I reflashed it to the highest access level. As far as I know, I'm the only one outside of Curtis that has one of these. I also have a custom programmed Curtis handset that I use with them. I do make programming trips from time to time. It takes about 2 hours to reprogram and tweak both modes of the controller used in these carts.

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO


Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Modifying 72v Express L6 Controller Electric EZGO
October 2018 Yamaha Recall 2016-2018 models Gas Yamaha
2018 Express S4 Looking for a Roof Rack Gas EZGO
2018 ezgo gas L6 wont run Gas EZGO
2018 EZGO Express S4 High Output Electric EZGO


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:01 PM.


Club Car Electric | EZGO Electric | Lifted Golf Carts | Gas EZGO | Used Golf Carts and Parts

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.