lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.



Post New Thread  Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-12-2019, 11:53 AM   #11
Over This Interview Is...
 
cgtech's Avatar
Yamaha
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: AZ
Posts: 13,760
Default Re: Batteries blew up! - Charger recommendations

MAC charger is a multi stage smart charger, it's better than the old days. It does not feature float mode, but it is supposed to come on as needed to keep batteries fully charged. (I never count on that claim, no matter who made the charger).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

__________________
This advertising will not be shown in this way to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum
   
Unread 08-09-2019, 08:25 AM   #12
Not Yet Wild
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 64
Default Re: Batteries blew up! - Charger recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
MAC charger is a multi stage smart charger, it's better than the old days. It does not feature float mode, but it is supposed to come on as needed to keep batteries fully charged. (I never count on that claim, no matter who made the charger).
I searched MAC Charger and came up with something to charge my iPad

This charger is tempting because they claim it will work with or without a OBC

It will also work with a malfunctioning obc (they say)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpzG2AoGYqE
tyrone shoelaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2019, 09:33 AM   #13
Not Yet Wild
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 13
Default Re: Batteries blew up! - Charger recommendations

I have the Summit II with blue tooth...impressed so far
champ1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2019, 10:23 AM   #14
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: NC
Posts: 184
Default Re: Batteries blew up! - Charger recommendations

What happened to the love for Accusense/DPI chargers? I don't see much about them on this forum anymore.
oldnavycdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2019, 11:34 AM   #15
Techno-Nerd
 
JohnnieB's Avatar
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 15,702
Default Re: Batteries blew up! - Charger recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldnavycdr View Post
What happened to the love for Accusense/DPI chargers? I don't see much about them on this forum anymore.
Their Gen IV chargers don't float charge.

I don't know the whole story and would like to, but have heard rumors that the Feds got involved someway or another and they eliminated the float charge feature that was one of the reasons they were so popular.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2019, 11:57 AM   #16
Gone Insane
 
Mooncarter's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 7,719
Default Re: Batteries blew up! - Charger recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Their Gen IV chargers don't float charge.

I don't know the whole story and would like to, but have heard rumors that the Feds got involved someway or another and they eliminated the float charge feature that was one of the reasons they were so popular.
JB do you know more about this fed involvement with the float charge feature? My favorite charger is a STANLEY that chargers anything from 6 to 48 volts (but not 42) and floats. Quite handy to have. I went to order another one a couple days ago and they have been discontinued with nothing similar available.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2019, 12:21 PM   #17
Gone Wild
 
kernal's Avatar
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Peachtree City, Ga.
Posts: 2,112
Default Re: Batteries blew up! - Charger recommendations

Here's a guess: California regulations limit standby power to 0.5 watts or less since 2007. (so called vampire electronics like when your TV is off is it really off). Possibly this is spreading to other states and or Fed regulations. Like many things its cheaper to make one version of a device instead of two. A California version and a 49 state version. -- Just a guess.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2019, 12:28 PM   #18
Gone Wild
 
Sergio's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 7,175
Default Re: Batteries blew up! - Charger recommendations

I guess DPI could not have been more inefficient than keeping a 20 lb transformer running all the time to provide a few milliamps for the micro-processor that monitors the voltage.

Floating a series of FLA batteries was never a good idea anyway otherwise they could have easily designed a more efficient way to monitor the batteries.
Sergio is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2019, 12:37 PM   #19
Gone Insane
 
Mooncarter's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 7,719
Default Re: Batteries blew up! - Charger recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
I guess DPI could not have been more inefficient than keeping a 20 lb transformer running all the time to provide a few milliamps for the micro-processor that monitors the voltage.

Floating a series of FLA batteries was never a good idea anyway otherwise they could have easily designed a more efficient way to monitor the batteries.
And I could care less about the float feature as well. In fact the charger/fan on the one I am talking about never shuts off because of it. Although when "gel" is selected instead of FLA or AGM I think it does shut off completely.

One that would monitor and come on as needed would be much better IMHO.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2019, 02:22 PM   #20
Over This Interview Is...
 
cgtech's Avatar
Yamaha
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: AZ
Posts: 13,760
Default Re: Batteries blew up! - Charger recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernal View Post
Here's a guess: California regulations limit standby power to 0.5 watts or less since 2007. (so called vampire electronics like when your TV is off is it really off). Possibly this is spreading to other states and or Fed regulations. Like many things its cheaper to make one version of a device instead of two. A California version and a 49 state version. -- Just a guess.
I believe this to be the exact reason, and they "might have" said as much on the phone.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO


Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Charger recommendations for 48v obc bypassed Electric Club Car
48v Charger Recommendations Electric Yamaha
charger 8v - recommendations please Electric EZGO
2002 ezgo 36v electrical issue new batteries hooked up wrong and i blew something? Electric EZGO
I think my charger blew up Electric EZGO


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:58 PM.


Club Car Electric | EZGO Electric | Lifted Golf Carts | Gas EZGO | Used Golf Carts and Parts

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.