lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles



Post New Thread  Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2012, 08:22 PM   #1
Not Yet Wild
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 15
Default Charger seems to take forever to charge new batteries

I purchased new Trojans last month. I have been attempting to follow the battery break methods mentioned in several post. The issue i have is last week the charger did not cutoff after at least two days. Put it on charge on Thursday at 10 PM, returned back to my camp on Saturday at 9 AM, and the charger was still charging with the 80% light on.

This was only the third time to charge the new batteries. I immediatly checked the water level in fear it had dried them out. Luckly only one cell in one battery seemed to have exposed the plates. Prior to this charging the water was correct in each battery.

Since then i have closely watched the charger. if it does not cut off after 7 hours or i hear what i think is heavy boiling i unplug them.

Three questions
Is my charger bad
did i ruin my brand new batteries ?
what charger is the best?
eltesoro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

__________________
This advertising will not be shown in this way to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum
   
Old 09-12-2012, 02:51 PM   #2
Not Yet Wild
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 19
Default Re: Charger seems to take forever to charge new batteries

I would check the voltage of each battery and the whole pack. As long as you're in the range of fully charged, I wouldn't worry about anything.

Use a timer on your charger if it doesn't shut down. That's what I use at the baseball park to be more FOOL proof.. I've had cases where the charger was on all weekend and I'm the only one who seems to check the water level. Everything hot.. not good. A few plates showing.. still worked fine. Timer and Water.. Done. :-)
Old3Leg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:07 PM   #3
Carts Unlimited
 
scottyb's Avatar
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: So Cal
Posts: 49,180
Default Re: Charger seems to take forever to charge new batteries

It could be a bad battery OR a bad charger........ what charger is it? Most chargers are set to shut off at 16hrs regardless. The charger is set to shut off at a preset pack voltage of say 63v for 48 volt system. If you have a bad battery then the pack may not reach the cut off point. Don't mess around with your battery $ investment. Get a meter and find out what is going on here.
What is the pack voltage Now?
How long since it was charged?
Recheck the water.
Put in on charge, what is the pack voltage after say 2 hrs, 4 hrs, & 6 hours?
Post the results here.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 04:06 PM   #4
Not Yet Wild
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 19
Default Re: Charger seems to take forever to charge new batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
It could be a bad battery OR a bad charger........ what charger is it? Most chargers are set to shut off at 16hrs regardless. The charger is set to shut off at a preset pack voltage of say 63v for 48 volt system. If you have a bad battery then the pack may not reach the cut off point. Don't mess around with your battery $ investment. Get a meter and find out what is going on here.
What is the pack voltage Now?
How long since it was charged?
Recheck the water.
Put in on charge, what is the pack voltage after say 2 hrs, 4 hrs, & 6 hours?
Post the results here.
The charger we have for the baseball park doesn't shut off. Some of the older ones don't.

Get a hydrometer at the Auto store for $10 and check the chemical level in the battery.

Google "Battery Hydrometer" and click on "Images".. check out the yellow chart on page one.

If the voltage is around the level it should be, and the cart runs with power for a long period of time (being new batteries).. then I wouldn't worry much about it. Use a timer.

A voltgage / ohm meter is cheap at Hardware store and the hydrometer will tell you pretty much everything you need to know about new or slightly used batteries.
Old3Leg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:18 PM   #5
Gone Wild
 
simple man's Avatar
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bunnell, Florida
Posts: 2,376
Default Re: Charger seems to take forever to charge new batteries

Double check your wiring hookup, especially where the charging taps are connected. Measure the voltage at the charging receptacle and make sure it matches the battery pack voltage! You wouldn't be the first person to err in a hookup!
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:55 PM   #6
LET IT RUN
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: FT Lauderdale FL.
Posts: 10,146
Default Re: Charger seems to take forever to charge new batteries

The last thing you want to do is unplug the charger before the charger is done, and turned off by it's self, if you unplug your charger before it is done you are hurting your batteries
rib33024 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:06 PM   #7
Carts Unlimited
 
scottyb's Avatar
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: So Cal
Posts: 49,180
Default Re: Charger seems to take forever to charge new batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old3Leg View Post
The charger we have for the baseball park doesn't shut off. Some of the older ones don't.

Get a hydrometer at the Auto store for $10 and check the chemical level in the battery.

Google "Battery Hydrometer" and click on "Images".. check out the yellow chart on page one.

If the voltage is around the level it should be, and the cart runs with power for a long period of time (being new batteries).. then I wouldn't worry much about it. Use a timer.

A voltgage / ohm meter is cheap at Hardware store and the hydrometer will tell you pretty much everything you need to know about new or slightly used batteries.
The Hydrometer is about as accurate as string line level. Most people don't know how to choose the right one or how to read it or what those readings mean.
If your charger is not automatic it is about 25 or 30 years old and you may be due for some new technology.
These batteries are very expensive and benefit greatly from an accurate voltage cut off charger.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:55 PM   #8
Not Yet Wild
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 15
Default Re: Charger seems to take forever to charge new batteries

Will have to post it this week end when i get back to camp
eltesoro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:40 PM   #9
Not Yet Wild
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 19
Default Re: Charger seems to take forever to charge new batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
The Hydrometer is about as accurate as string line level. Most people don't know how to choose the right one or how to read it or what those readings mean.
If your charger is not automatic it is about 25 or 30 years old and you may be due for some new technology.
These batteries are very expensive and benefit greatly from an accurate voltage cut off charger.
This is were the term K.I.S.S. comes in.

If you have a 36V cart and you read about 38V after charging your good.

If you have a 48V cart and you get about 51V your good.

When charging - you can check it and see what it is.. it will be higher.. you can look that up.

If the charger doesn't shut off and you have the proper voltage - you can either go out and spend a few hundred on another charger or you can put a timer on the one that's charging right now. A few hours if not used much or 3-4 hours a day if used everyday. The volt. meter can help guide you if necessary.

If you don't get the numbers you're looking for.. doing a voltage read on each battery will nail it down to a problem battery.

From there the hydrometer which reads (Good, Fair and Bad - pretty simple) will tell you if you have a bad battery cell in one of the batteries. A bad cell will be obvious.. it won't lift the dial much at all. Just sit there.

That happened to me once. My local mobile cart mechanic did exactly that and showed me exactly where the problem was.. simple.

Good clean cables and tight connections.

Have fun!
Old3Leg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:38 PM   #10
Not Yet Wild
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 15
Default Re: Charger seems to take forever to charge new batteries

My cart is 48v. all the batteries had a reading between 8.49 to 8.55 and the last time it was charged was Sunday night. The charger's 80% light was on when i unplugged it. I will have to use it this week end and bring the batteries down to re-charge to keep a closer eye on what exactly the charger is doing.
eltesoro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
batteries, charger, yamaha 48v
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Powerwise Charger works but doesn't fully charge batteries Electric EZGO
1993 DS Why won't the charger charge the batteries? Electric Club Car
Recharging Batteries---so charge recognizes batteries!! Electric EZGO
Club Car battery charger won't charge new batteries Electric golf carts


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:02 PM.


Club Car Electric | EZGO Electric | Lifted Golf Carts | Gas EZGO | Used Golf Carts and Parts

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.