lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Garage and Workshop
Garage and Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop.



Post New Thread  Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-13-2017, 10:02 PM   #1
Gone Wild
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Southern Maryland
Posts: 226
Default Home wiring question

I had asked before about wiring a garage and there was a lot of good info given. My new question is my house was built in 1978 and the wire from the meter to the panel, the range wiring, and the dryer wire are all aluminum. Is there any maintenance I can do to help keep things safe? Replacing the wire would involve ripping a bunch walls out.

Thanks
Mike
mlj427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

__________________
This advertising will not be shown in this way to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum
   
Unread 02-13-2017, 10:21 PM   #2
Dazed & Confused
 
crash test dummy's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Z-HELLS FL
Posts: 14,000
Default Re: Home wiring question

http://www.carsondunlop.com/home-ins...ring-part-one/
http://www.carsondunlop.com/home-ins...ring-part-two/
crash test dummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2017, 10:26 PM   #3
Gone Insane
 
Mooncarter's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 1,938
Default Re: Home wiring question

I'm not an electrician, but have built and remodeled a lot of houses. If it is the Large Wiring you are describing it is not nearly as bad as the smaller wiring used in some areas in the mid-late 60's early 70's for receptacles etc. Call an electrician for professional help.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2017, 11:17 AM   #4
Gone Wild
 
Frizbgolf's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Picayune, Mississippi
Posts: 690
Default Re: Home wiring question

Short of replacing the aluminum wiring the only maintenance that can be done is to make sure that all of the connections are tight, you could also put noalox or an equivalent electrically rated anti corrosive lube on the wires at the breaker or lugs. But if it was me I would look at changing the stove and dryer wiring to copper at the very least. Just my 2 cents from an electrician of 30 yrs.
Frizbgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2017, 01:14 PM   #5
Gone Wild
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Southern Maryland
Posts: 226
Default Re: Home wiring question

Crash very informative site you listed. Thanks for the information guys.
Mike
mlj427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2017, 07:26 PM   #6
Test before replacing
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Ohio side of the Pennsylvania border.
Posts: 1,588
Default Re: Home wiring question

My first house was built around that same time with the aluminum feed. We bought it in 1990. About 2 months after we moved in, the fridge, dishwasher, tv, dehumidifier, and an electric heater were all wiped out. We thought that we took a lightning strike.

Turns out that the lug in the breaker box worked itself loose on the neutral wire. It would burn then connect, burn again, and reconnect. The voltage through the house was all over the place. Up down up down.

The electrician that found it said it was a common thing with aluminum wiring, and that it needed to be re-torqued every once in a while.
cart around is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2017, 04:05 PM   #7
Not Yet Wild
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 9
Default Re: Home wiring question

Just make sure all connectition are tight. Alum. Tends to flatten out and For a lack of better description, does not spring back to help keep connections tight. Over time the fasteners losen, causing the arking issues and sometimes fires. Most service wires are alum., great conductor and much cheaper then copper. Having said that, if the run is not that far and cost is not an issue, peace of mind is always a good thing.
Rsk0125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2017, 11:49 PM   #8
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Kansas
Posts: 236
Cool Re: Home wiring question

All the guys are spot on, there is one product I used to help with oxidation. It's called copper coat. I don't like Aluminum Wire either but as an industrial electrician for most of my career we did annual maintenance on all our switch and Alum/Copper junctions. Most of our success I think was due to cleaning the connections with a stainless steel brush to remove corrosion, dirt, and oxidation. However in a home shop I wouldn't think you have a whole lot of issue.
catfish918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2017, 11:55 PM   #9
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Kansas
Posts: 236
Cool Re: Home wiring question

The one thing I always did was take a temperature gun to see if I had elevated temperatures, it's a sure way to find any hot spots. if you have hot spots they do need to be addressed.
catfish918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Garage and Workshop


Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
G16 wiring question Gas Yamaha
98 DS wiring question Electric Club Car
wiring question Electric Club Car
Wiring Question Electric Club Car


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:48 AM.


Club Car Electric | EZGO Electric | Lifted Golf Carts | Gas EZGO | Used Golf Carts and Parts

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.