lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.



Post New Thread  Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-21-2019, 11:47 AM   #51
Gone Wild
 
Dabble Inn's Avatar
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 491
Default Re: Damaged cylinder head

Oooops Hahaha, Looks like my fingers were doing the thinkin' on that one. But yeah, I've seen a keg take out a stud or two
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

__________________
This advertising will not be shown in this way to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum
   
Unread 05-21-2019, 06:58 PM   #52
Not Yet Wild
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 10
Default Re: Damaged cylinder head

Broke two off when I freshened my engine. Did all you have done and finally went to a friend of mines machine shop. He only charged me $10 a hole,wished I wouldnt wasted so much time and went sooner.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
dale817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2019, 10:02 PM   #53
Not Yet Wild
 
Flushers's Avatar
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: North Liberty, IA
Posts: 57
Default Re: Damaged cylinder head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabble Inn View Post
I think it's time for a decent stud puller tool, The Snap-On brand is my favorite but not cheap. Maybe you could borrow/rent one or maybe try this one from Kegs, It's similar but I've never used it so don't know how it is....

The way I've always done it;
Get the aluminum hot around the stud without getting the stud itself hot and try immediately while it's hot, But go easy and by hand at first. Then if you have to, resort to an impact. But you take the chance of breaking them off all uneven and harder to center a center punch to drill em out.......

OR;

Go ahead now and cut/grind the ends nice and flat, Center punch them and drill em for an easyout. I prefer to use a left handed drill bit for this as sometimes it'll grab the stud and turn it out for ya (If yer lucky), drill the hole as big as you can without getting into the threads. If you still can't get em with an easyout then drill em all the way and use a heli-coil and replace with studs..Good Luck

On a side note;
I'll bet those poor bolts are hardened now from all they've been through, not only exhaust bolts but the fire and from what heat you've given them already. Drilling may not be an easy job, but it can be done. Keep the bit cool go slow and easy

https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performa...yABEgJui_D_BwE
I wanted to order that Chuck today so bad. But I wanted to try to see what drilling out the shortest bolt would do. It was to short for that Chuck to work. Well I drilled out the center and even tried left handed reverse bits. That didn't work and neither did the extractor bits. Those things just won't budge.

Probably could of used that Chuck on the other bolts but it's getting to the point I need to get that cart done and moved out of the garage. Time vs money situation. I took it to a machine shop. He is also going to clean it up for me with a glass sand blasting. His son just did that to a motorcycle top end and it looked great.

We also discussed the possiblity of repairing the original head. Either a sleeve or a top hat type sleeve. He said there's room to do it. but not sure what the cost would be.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Flushers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2019, 10:04 PM   #54
Not Yet Wild
 
Flushers's Avatar
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: North Liberty, IA
Posts: 57
Default Re: Damaged cylinder head

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale817 View Post
Broke two off when I freshened my engine. Did all you have done and finally went to a friend of mines machine shop. He only charged me $10 a hole,wished I wouldnt wasted so much time and went sooner.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I hear ya. Lots of time invested. it should of worked. That's why I'm upset. It's a lesson learned I guess. Probably still try it myself next time though. Haha

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Flushers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2019, 10:08 PM   #55
Not Yet Wild
 
Flushers's Avatar
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: North Liberty, IA
Posts: 57
Default Re: Damaged cylinder head

So the next question. Do you think the springs and valves are any good? What would that heat do to to them? Can I take the springs and valves out of the original head and put them in the newer head? I've never messed with that stuff. Something about having to seat the valves?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Flushers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2019, 11:29 AM   #56
Gone Wild
 
Dabble Inn's Avatar
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 491
Default Re: Damaged cylinder head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flushers View Post
I wanted to order that Chuck today so bad. But I wanted to try to see what drilling out the shortest bolt would do. It was to short for that Chuck to work. Well I drilled out the center and even tried left handed reverse bits. That didn't work and neither did the extractor bits. Those things just won't budge.

Probably could of used that Chuck on the other bolts but it's getting to the point I need to get that cart done and moved out of the garage. Time vs money situation. I took it to a machine shop. He is also going to clean it up for me with a glass sand blasting. His son just did that to a motorcycle top end and it looked great.

We also discussed the possiblity of repairing the original head. Either a sleeve or a top hat type sleeve. He said there's room to do it. but not sure what the cost would be.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
I'd say at this point taking it to a machine shop was a good idea, Have em work it over from 'head to toe' and be done with it.....BUT,

Another thing to keep in mind and I don't mean to discourage you. On a 4-cycle engine with a lot of miles on it:

Just rebuilding the head, getting it back to tight specs without reworking the cylinders will lead to burning oil and smoking. It'll cause blowby, but IF there's not a lot of miles on it you can get away with it.....

What happens is;
All through it's long life the valves vs piston/cylinder/rings wear out together so they're somewhat equal, Rebuilding just half of the combustion chamber (either half) will put excessive pressure on the other half....

The right thing to do would be to rebuild it all, but I don't blame you (and I'd probably try it) for just getting the head done and see what happens. You can always go back and do the bottom end later when need be..
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2019, 12:34 PM   #57
Not Yet Wild
 
Flushers's Avatar
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: North Liberty, IA
Posts: 57
Default Re: Damaged cylinder head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabble Inn View Post
I'd say at this point taking it to a machine shop was a good idea, Have em work it over from 'head to toe' and be done with it.....BUT,



Another thing to keep in mind and I don't mean to discourage you. On a 4-cycle engine with a lot of miles on it:



Just rebuilding the head, getting it back to tight specs without reworking the cylinders will lead to burning oil and smoking. It'll cause blowby, but IF there's not a lot of miles on it you can get away with it.....



What happens is;

All through it's long life the valves vs piston/cylinder/rings wear out together so they're somewhat equal, Rebuilding just half of the combustion chamber (either half) will put excessive pressure on the other half....



The right thing to do would be to rebuild it all, but I don't blame you (and I'd probably try it) for just getting the head done and see what happens. You can always go back and do the bottom end later when need be..
Yeah. He is going to work it over. I tried at least. Also I rebuilt that motor, new rods, rings, pistons, seals, gaskets. Used that oil on the rods\crank to prevent dry start. I put it all back together, torqued every bolt correctly. That's when I had low compression. Realized I did not time it correctly on the timing belt side. And also that's when I noticed the damaged head.

Question. Before all that, I had torqued that head down on that metal gasket twice now. Turned the motor over 3 times for maybe 15-30 seconds each time the first time I tested it.. Would that metal head gasket still be good? Or replace it? I will be putting a different head on than what I had on the gasket twice now, if that matters. Thinking it will crush that gasket different than the previous head.



Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Flushers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2019, 01:26 PM   #58
Old School
 
trig123's Avatar
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: West of Mayberry
Posts: 792
Default Re: Damaged cylinder head

I would use it. I have put cylinder heads on truck engines years ago and found out I had other issues . Never cranked them like you. No problem what so ever using the same head gasket.
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2019, 11:04 AM   #59
Gone Wild
 
Dabble Inn's Avatar
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 491
Default Re: Damaged cylinder head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flushers View Post
Yeah. He is going to work it over. I tried at least. Also I rebuilt that motor, new rods, rings, pistons, seals, gaskets. Used that oil on the rods\crank to prevent dry start. I put it all back together, torqued every bolt correctly. That's when I had low compression. Realized I did not time it correctly on the timing belt side. And also that's when I noticed the damaged head.

Question. Before all that, I had torqued that head down on that metal gasket twice now. Turned the motor over 3 times for maybe 15-30 seconds each time the first time I tested it.. Would that metal head gasket still be good? Or replace it? I will be putting a different head on than what I had on the gasket twice now, if that matters. Thinking it will crush that gasket different than the previous head.



Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Ohhh terrific, I didn't realize you've rebuilt it already. I feel so much better for ya now, Whew!! (Perhaps I should have back read )

As far as the head gasket goes; IF they're cheap enough I'd get a new one to go along with that fresh newly machined flat head, But that's just me. You'll probably be fine using the other one
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2019, 11:22 AM   #60
Old School
 
trig123's Avatar
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: West of Mayberry
Posts: 792
Default Re: Damaged cylinder head

I will take it It is not hurt I can assure you. The OEM is not cheap. I just paid shopezgo $31 for one including shipping. I Don't use the aftermarket but that is just me.

I ordered the aftermarket gasket set from some seller on amazon last year with rings. Half the o-rings would not work, especially the oil pump cover and you know what happens if you use one that is too thick.
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO


Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
g9 g2 cylinder head Golf Carts and Parts
New Cylinder Head Gas EZGO
3pg Cylinder head Gas EZGO
85 EZ Go Cylinder Head Gas EZGO
G14 Cylinder Bore Damaged Gas Yamaha


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:25 AM.


Club Car Electric | EZGO Electric | Lifted Golf Carts | Gas EZGO | Used Golf Carts and Parts

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.