lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.



Post New Thread  Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-14-2019, 09:23 PM   #11
Gone Wild
 
trig123's Avatar
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: West of Mayberry
Posts: 726
Default Re: 98 gas EZGO runs then sputters out

Put a volt meter on the battery and show us what the s/g is charging with your youtube link. low voltage will cause a cart to run bad they will run. I have run into a few that had bad voltage regulators , causing voltage not being high enough but yet it would run. Just runs terrible like yours. Just a thought.
That is the aftermarket coil you have. The OEM will have a plus and minus stamped on top.
I almost give up last year working on one just like this. I then noticed the OEM coil stuffed in dash. Put it on and it ran like new. You
Unfortunately there might not be any OEM coils left out there at dealers. I got 3 OEM's but I would never sell them because of problems like yours. They are also like gold :
Attached Images
File Type: jpg coil.jpg (30.4 KB, 0 views)
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

__________________
This advertising will not be shown in this way to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum
   
Unread 06-15-2019, 11:01 PM   #12
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: WA
Posts: 23
Default Re: 98 gas EZGO runs then sputters out

Quote:
Originally Posted by trig123 View Post
Put a volt meter on the battery and show us what the s/g is charging with your youtube link. low voltage will cause a cart to run bad they will run. I have run into a few that had bad voltage regulators , causing voltage not being high enough but yet it would run. Just runs terrible like yours. Just a thought.
That is the aftermarket coil you have. The OEM will have a plus and minus stamped on top.
I almost give up last year working on one just like this. I then noticed the OEM coil stuffed in dash. Put it on and it ran like new. You
Unfortunately there might not be any OEM coils left out there at dealers. I got 3 OEM's but I would never sell them because of problems like yours. They are also like gold :
Trig - I got an OE coil off a guys cart at the golf course. Im not sure if his was dead too though, it does have the molded in plus and minus. Ill need to dig out my meter and check that voltage still. But that OE coil didnt make it run either . It has seemed to have gotten worse so far. At least with my orginial coil it would run for a while. Now i got the wife getting all pissed at me cause i biught a lemeon she thinks
Styles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2019, 07:00 AM   #13
Gone Wild
 
trig123's Avatar
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: West of Mayberry
Posts: 726
Default Re: 98 gas EZGO runs then sputters out

I would test the fire when you say it won't go with one of these spark testers I am showing in picture.
I had the mechanic at out local golf course call me last week saying he had a cart just like yours that was firing but wouldn't run. I stuck my tester in my pocket and being I had to make a trip down that way I stopped in.

He was using an in-line spark tester and it showed it was firing. I put my spark tester on one of the wires and nothing. I went over to where I stored the spare parts when I last worked there and got a coil.

It was buried under stuff and they didn't even know there were three in stock. I just unplugged the other coil, laid this one on top of engine , connected wires and it fired a pretty blue spark using my tester. Cart ran like a new one. I avoid these inline tester for this reason. If it fires with the one I showed then fire is not the problem.

Get one and let me know what happens. Might not be a fire issue but we got to know for sure and this tester I own will 100% tell you.

Put this tester in your pocket and drive it. When it quits use this tester and post results. If it don't fire then wiggle the connection going to pulser coil and see if it fires. These carts are not that hard to troubleshoot if you take the steps mentioned earlier and do this test.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spark tester.jpg (44.1 KB, 0 views)
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2019, 07:33 AM   #14
lost in the woods
 
CP241's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: GA
Posts: 2,307
Default Re: 98 gas EZGO runs then sputters out

Quote:
Originally Posted by trig123 View Post
I would test the fire when you say it won't go with one of these spark testers I am showing in picture.
I had the mechanic at out local golf course call me last week saying he had a cart just like yours that was firing but wouldn't run. I stuck my tester in my pocket and being I had to make a trip down that way I stopped in.

He was using an in-line spark tester and it showed it was firing. I put my spark tester on one of the wires and nothing. I went over to where I stored the spare parts when I last worked there and got a coil.

It was buried under stuff and they didn't even know there were three in stock. I just unplugged the other coil, laid this one on top of engine , connected wires and it fired a pretty blue spark using my tester. Cart ran like a new one. I avoid these inline tester for this reason. If it fires with the one I showed then fire is not the problem.

Get one and let me know what happens. Might not be a fire issue but we got to know for sure and this tester I own will 100% tell you.

Put this tester in your pocket and drive it. When it quits use this tester and post results. If it don't fire then wiggle the connection going to pulser coil and see if it fires. These carts are not that hard to troubleshoot if you take the steps mentioned earlier and do this test.


Best advice out there. Just because one of those inline spark testers "shows a spark" doesnt mean that spark is strong enough for it to jump the gap of the plug or fire hot enough to ignite the fuel. I usually just use a spare spark plug, but the tester trig shows here is basically the same thing, without risk of zapping yourself. Trust your eyes for a fat blue spark.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2019, 07:03 PM   #15
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: WA
Posts: 23
Default Re: 98 gas EZGO runs then sputters out

Quote:
Originally Posted by trig123 View Post
I would test the fire when you say it won't go with one of these spark testers I am showing in picture.

I had the mechanic at out local golf course call me last week saying he had a cart just like yours that was firing but wouldn't run. I stuck my tester in my pocket and being I had to make a trip down that way I stopped in.



He was using an in-line spark tester and it showed it was firing. I put my spark tester on one of the wires and nothing. I went over to where I stored the spare parts when I last worked there and got a coil.



It was buried under stuff and they didn't even know there were three in stock. I just unplugged the other coil, laid this one on top of engine , connected wires and it fired a pretty blue spark using my tester. Cart ran like a new one. I avoid these inline tester for this reason. If it fires with the one I showed then fire is not the problem.



Get one and let me know what happens. Might not be a fire issue but we got to know for sure and this tester I own will 100% tell you.



Put this tester in your pocket and drive it. When it quits use this tester and post results. If it don't fire then wiggle the connection going to pulser coil and see if it fires. These carts are not that hard to troubleshoot if you take the steps mentioned earlier and do this test.


Okay.... I just got that exact spark tester in the mail today.... no spark at all on either the new aftermarket coil or the old OEM coil.

Whatís the next part upstream from the coil to check now??


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Styles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2019, 09:04 PM   #16
Gone Wild
 
trig123's Avatar
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: West of Mayberry
Posts: 726
Default Re: 98 gas EZGO runs then sputters out

Did you remove both spark plug wires when you did this test with the new spark tester ? If you did then put one plug wire on spark plug and test it again. For some reason these spark testers won't show spark unless you connect one wire. I think I am right on that. You don't have to bolt the coil down. I just lay them on top of the engine and try with that one plug wires left on. Let me know.
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2019, 09:05 PM   #17
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: WA
Posts: 23
Default 98 gas EZGO runs then sputters out

Quote:
Originally Posted by trig123 View Post
Did you remove both spark plug wires when you did this test with the new spark tester ?


Yes. And from the image up there. I tested with a volt meter and it was going up to 2.8ish


Crazy thing happened too. I plugged everything back in. Went to look at the wires under the cover by the battery, kicked over and it fired. Drove it around the block, now itís dead again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Styles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2019, 09:11 PM   #18
Gone Wild
 
trig123's Avatar
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: West of Mayberry
Posts: 726
Default Re: 98 gas EZGO runs then sputters out

You say you tested with both wires off spark plugs ?
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2019, 09:18 PM   #19
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: WA
Posts: 23
Default Re: 98 gas EZGO runs then sputters out

Yes. Both off


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Styles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2019, 09:21 PM   #20
Gone Wild
 
trig123's Avatar
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: West of Mayberry
Posts: 726
Default Re: 98 gas EZGO runs then sputters out

Well, plug one back on the spark plug and test it with your new tester and post the results.
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO


Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
2013 G29 sputters at slow speed runs like a champ at higher speed Gas Yamaha
1982 ezgo runs good in reverse and sputters in forward Gas EZGO
Ezgo dcs sputters Electric EZGO
2007 ezgo sport 2+2 sputters Gas EZGO
99 EZ Go gas runs 10 minutes and sputters afterwards Gas EZGO


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:00 AM.


Club Car Electric | EZGO Electric | Lifted Golf Carts | Gas EZGO | Used Golf Carts and Parts

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.