lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.



Post New Thread  Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-29-2019, 09:08 AM   #11
Gone Wild
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 150
Default Re: 1988 gas EZ GO marathon 2pg

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart around View Post
That belt is upside down.

Are you saying the engine is running, or not running?


I thought so..man the guy and small machine mechanic who worked on this before really did NOT know what they were doing. Is the only way to change this by removing the clutch? Iím guna have to suck it up and order one of those **** clutch removal tools.

The engine is not running know. It had been running just fine like this, until 2 days ago when the S/G belt popped off and it started running very slowly. I put it back on as soon as I got it back to the garage and not it wonít turn over it just spins and whirs like the clutch isnít engaging and grabbing the big drive belt.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jcrouch023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

__________________
This advertising will not be shown in this way to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum
   
Unread 06-29-2019, 09:25 AM   #12
lost in the woods
 
CP241's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: GA
Posts: 2,307
Default Re: 1988 gas EZ GO marathon 2pg

Sounds like the engine isnt running. The starter/generator is turning the motor but the S/G is not capable of turning the engine fast enough to engage the primary clutch and turn the drive (big) belt.

We need to determine e why the motor isnt running. Pull the spark plug out, rest the threaded part against something metal and spin the engine. Look for a fat blue spark. While it is out, Try dribbling a little gas down the spark plug hole (about a soda cap worth) and reinstall the spark plug and wire and see if it fires or sputters a little bit.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2019, 09:26 AM   #13
Test before replacing
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Ohio side of the Pennsylvania border.
Posts: 2,236
Default Re: 1988 gas EZ GO marathon 2pg

Let's do the belt first.
Pull the top of the belt up, and forward so it's sitting on the edge of the driven clutch. Then push the cart so the drive clutch turns. It will roll the belt off.

Once the belt is off of the driven clutch, you will have room to maneuver it between the engine, and plastic dust cover at the end of the clutch. It will then have plenty of room to remove it from the drive clutch. Turn it inside out, and reinstall using the reverse procedure. Loop it on the drive clutch first, get most of it on the driven clutch, and then push the cart to roll it on.
cart around is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2019, 09:32 AM   #14
Gone Wild
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 150
Default Re: 1988 gas EZ GO marathon 2pg

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Sounds like the engine isnt running. The starter/generator is turning the motor but the S/G is not capable of turning the engine fast enough to engage the primary clutch and turn the drive (big) belt.

We need to determine e why the motor isnt running. Pull the spark plug out, rest the threaded part against something metal and spin the engine. Look for a fat blue spark. While it is out, Try dribbling a little gas down the spark plug hole (about a soda cap worth) and reinstall the spark plug and wire and see if it fires or sputters a little bit.


So I just did all of that. When I took the spark plug out I am getting a nice blue spark and also the engine turns over like it should when Itís out.

Added a cap full of gas in the hole and put the plug back in and it does the same spinning and whirring sound and doesnít turn over.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jcrouch023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2019, 09:33 AM   #15
Gone Wild
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 150
Default Re: 1988 gas EZ GO marathon 2pg

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart around View Post
Let's do the belt first.
Pull the top of the belt up, and forward so it's sitting on the edge of the driven clutch. Then push the cart so the drive clutch turns. It will roll the belt off.

Once the belt is off of the driven clutch, you will have room to maneuver it between the engine, and plastic dust cover at the end of the clutch. It will then have plenty of room to remove it from the drive clutch. Turn it inside out, and reinstall using the reverse procedure. Loop it on the drive clutch first, get most of it on the driven clutch, and then push the cart to roll it on.


Thank you for this! I will get changing this now! This probably explains why it would slow down a bit on hills huh? The belt was probably slipping when it tried to work harder?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jcrouch023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2019, 10:38 AM   #16
Gone Wild
 
Dabble Inn's Avatar
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 425
Default Re: 1988 gas EZ GO marathon 2pg

I doubt the drive belt was always inside out, perhaps when the s/g belt came off it got caught in the drive belt and flipped it over somehow. Strange things can happen.........

By the way; those teeth on the belt don't grab anything, it's the sides of the belt that do the grabbing
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2019, 10:56 AM   #17
Gone Wild
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 150
Default Re: 1988 gas EZ GO marathon 2pg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabble Inn View Post
I doubt the drive belt was always inside out, perhaps when the s/g belt came off it got caught in the drive belt and flipped it over somehow. Strange things can happen.........



By the way; those teeth on the belt don't grab anything, it's the sides of the belt that do the grabbing


Yeah maybe that happened..not really sure. I just know I took pics and put it back exactly how it was lol.

I did realize that after I posted it, my bad.

But, still, why is this thing only turning over when I take the spark plug out?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jcrouch023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2019, 10:59 AM   #18
Gone Wild
 
Dabble Inn's Avatar
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 425
Default Re: 1988 gas EZ GO marathon 2pg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcrouch023 View Post
So I just did all of that. When I took the spark plug out I am getting a nice blue spark and also the engine turns over like it should when Itís out.

Added a cap full of gas in the hole and put the plug back in and it does the same spinning and whirring sound and doesnít turn over.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ok wait a minute;
It turns over with the spark plug out, but doesn't with it in? I'm beginning to wonder if the clutch is spinning on the crankshaft with all this spinning and whirring sounds, is the main center bolt of the drive clutch still there and tight?

Let's check spark again but only this time leave the plug in so it'll have resistance from compression and use another plug from wire to block, if it still has good spark then the engine indeed is turning
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2019, 11:10 AM   #19
Gone Wild
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 150
Default Re: 1988 gas EZ GO marathon 2pg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabble Inn View Post
Ok wait a minute;

It turns over with the spark plug out, but doesn't with it in? I'm beginning to wonder if the clutch is spinning on the crankshaft with all this spinning and whirring sounds, is the main center bolt of the drive clutch still there and tight?



Let's check spark again but only this time leave the plug in so it'll have resistance from compression and use another plug from wire to block, if it still has good spark then the engine indeed is turning


Yeah itís turning right over like it wants to start up, but obviously it canít because the spark plug isnít it..weird?!

Yeah the main center bolt is still there and itís tight enough to where I canít twist it with my hand or anything. I can push the clutch back and forth with my hand and do notice that the washer seems a little wobbly. I hope my clutch didnít just go bad? The guy at the golf cart shop said I would have to replace it down the road and showed me the little grooves from wear.

So I put another plug in and this time it didnít spark or turn over when I left the other plug inside.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jcrouch023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2019, 11:20 AM   #20
Test before replacing
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Ohio side of the Pennsylvania border.
Posts: 2,236
Default Re: 1988 gas EZ GO marathon 2pg

Put the battery on a charger. When the belt came off you were draining battery power while driving. It is weak.
cart around is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO


Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
1988 marathon Gas EZGO
1988 ez go marathon ? 2 Electric EZGO
1988 ez go marathon ? Electric EZGO
1988 marathon Gas EZGO
1988 Marathon Electric EZGO


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:15 AM.


Club Car Electric | EZGO Electric | Lifted Golf Carts | Gas EZGO | Used Golf Carts and Parts

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.