lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.



Post New Thread  Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2012, 08:06 AM   #1
Not Yet Wild
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 5
Default 89 EZGo carb upgrade? (need towing power)

I have been working on my 89 EZGO for about a year. Rebuilt the engine with new pistons, rings, and crank seals and bearings. Replaced the stock pump with an electric pump. The cart runs great up and down my lane. I can run 1/4 mile wide open back and forth all day long and it never stumbles or anything. I jetted it up until it was a little rich, then went back down a couple steps.

My problem is I need it to tow an 1800 lb race car. It will tow at low speeds on flat ground ok, but trying to speed up or go up a hill, it leans out. I'm thinking the needle and seat in the stock carb can't pass enough fuel to keep the float full, although I am not positive.

I would like to put a little bigger carb on it, maybe a tillotson, but there may be better options?
brian344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

__________________
This advertising will not be shown in this way to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum
   
Old 02-09-2012, 03:31 PM   #2
Not Yet Wild
 
divadavidcars's Avatar
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Stillman Valley, IL
Posts: 38
Default Re: 89 EZGo carb upgrade? (need towing power)

my opinion, even with a bigger carb, your still going to lack HP. if memory serves me right i think tose are only rated at 11hp and that may even be high.
divadavidcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:13 AM   #3
Not Yet Wild
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 5
Default Re: 89 EZGo carb upgrade? (need towing power)

I agree its never going to be a power house, but its definetely not running optimally when loaded hard. Pulling the choke sometimes helps a little, but stopping for a few seconds is the only way to get power back. This is why I'm assuming that the bowl is running dry.
brian344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:21 AM   #4
Gone Wild
 
simple man's Avatar
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bunnell, Florida
Posts: 2,408
Default Re: 89 EZGo carb upgrade? (need towing power)

With an electric pump, it's hard for me to comprehend lack of fuel. Maybe your engine's just getting hot and " tightening " up. Do a search on " shorter belt ". This causes the belt to run on the lower part of the drive clutch, increasing the overall torque at the wheels. This will probably help you in your situation, as it will allow your engine to gain higher rpms and power. The bad side is that you'll lose a little off your top end.
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:05 AM   #5
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: JC MO.
Posts: 11
Default Re: 89 EZGo carb upgrade? (need towing power)

Have you changed out the tires with taller ones?
Is your stock air filter new?
The reason I ask, is because I towed my car (3070 lbs) with extra guys hanging on the back of the cart and never had a problem, with everthing stock on the cart.
It would pull a wheelie going up in the trailer pulling the car.
Something your missing somewhere. Just saying. Joe
cardiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 03:07 PM   #6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Decatur,IL
Posts: 553
Default Re: 89 EZGo carb upgrade? (need towing power)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian344 View Post
I agree its never going to be a power house, but its definetely not running optimally when loaded hard. Pulling the choke sometimes helps a little, but stopping for a few seconds is the only way to get power back. This is why I'm assuming that the bowl is running dry.
These are basically the same fuji engines that polaris has used on the 4 wheelers , except the have steel-iron cylinders where polaris have aluminum with steel sleeves. I don't know , but a bigger carb would diffently wake one of these up, But at the expense of durability.Polaris engines are in the 20+ hp range for the same 244cc. But of course they have bigger carbs,differant port timing and igntion timing.
The bore on the ezgo carb is VERY small. But a 32mmVM mikuni on it and see what happens
rokcrlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:51 PM   #7
Gone Wild
 
Doc's BoneCracker's Avatar
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Kansas City, Mo
Posts: 539
Default Re: 89 EZGo carb upgrade? (need towing power)

Just my two cents for what it's worth. I have a 96 that will run great but was slow taking off and slow unload a heavy load some of the guys here had me change the belt to one that was about 1 " shorter and man what a difference. It will pull anything up a tree and still ask for more.
Doc's BoneCracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 11:14 AM   #8
Not Yet Wild
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 5
Default Re: 89 EZGo carb upgrade? (need towing power)

Thanks for the ideas guys. I am going to put a new belt on. I'd say this one is worn out because it will slip sometimes while taking off with the car hooked up. If somebody can direct me to a shorter one for my cart, that would be great.

The tires are stock size. The air filter... I'm thinking I ordered a new one when I got the piston and stuff for the rebuild, but I will double check.

I have a passionate dislike for mikunis from my jr dragster days, thats why I would love to come across a tillotson. I'm pretty sure I can fab up an adapter.

The funny thing is, the best the cart ever ran was when it had fuel blowing out the vent. When I took it apart, there was a little tiny pebble in the needle and seat that had it stuck wide open, but wasn't really restricting flow. The cart never acted up while this was happening, but then I didn't run it very long with fuel pouring out of it.
brian344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:48 PM   #9
Gone Wild
Yamaha
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Posts: 1,751
Default Re: 89 EZGo carb upgrade? (need towing power)

Quote:
Originally Posted by divadavidcars View Post
my opinion, even with a bigger carb, your still going to lack HP. if memory serves me right i think tose are only rated at 11hp and that may even be high.
My G2 has the stock motor stock gearing and 24" tires. I pull a 22 foot big tex and even with a 3/4 ton big block suburban it will pull it up the hill I live on. Coming down isn't as fun...
JcXtreme72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:16 PM   #10
Gone Wild
 
Doc's BoneCracker's Avatar
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Kansas City, Mo
Posts: 539
Default Re: 89 EZGo carb upgrade? (need towing power)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian344 View Post
Thanks for the ideas guys. I am going to put a new belt on. I'd say this one is worn out because it will slip sometimes while taking off with the car hooked up. If somebody can direct me to a shorter one for my cart, that would be great.

The tires are stock size. The air filter... I'm thinking I ordered a new one when I got the piston and stuff for the rebuild, but I will double check.

I have a passionate dislike for mikunis from my jr dragster days, thats why I would love to come across a tillotson. I'm pretty sure I can fab up an adapter.

The funny thing is, the best the cart ever ran was when it had fuel blowing out the vent. When I took it apart, there was a little tiny pebble in the needle and seat that had it stuck wide open, but wasn't really restricting flow. The cart never acted up while this was happening, but then I didn't run it very long with fuel pouring out of it.
I just picked up a belt for my 96 and I think yours might be the same but you'll need to measure it. If it's 41" or 42" give or take try getting one from Napa its Gates belt 6098. it's right at 40 1/2" these are all rough measurements of my old head.
Doc's BoneCracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO


Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Overflow and no power caused by carb? Gas EZGO
Towing a ezgo? Electric EZGO
carb. upgrade for 16 hp briggs. Big Block Talk!
Beast upgrade has no power??? Electric Club Car
ezgo 295 carb on 350 engine cart dont have power Gas EZGO


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:21 AM.


Club Car Electric | EZGO Electric | Lifted Golf Carts | Gas EZGO | Used Golf Carts and Parts

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.