Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric EZGO (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Ezgo 42 volt conversion (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=71405)

scottyb 10-10-2012 02:37 PM

Ezgo 42 volt conversion

The wife got a 2008 Ezgo PDS straight off the golf course lease this summer. It's bronze color and other than 20 inch scorpion mud tires and a speed chip... I've done nothing to it so far. Cleaning out the shop, I found a Lester 42v charger. So I thought it might be fun to do an unusual 36 to 42v conversion.
The speed chip has produced flat ground speed of 19mph, maybe 20mph with the slightly taller tire? I dunno that's splitting hairs. I have not GPSed her. But I have used her and she rides around like a dream. I just feel the need to boost her a mite.
If you too have the Tim Taylor affliction :mrgreen: follow along :thumbup:

kab69440 10-10-2012 03:33 PM

Re: Ezgo 42 volt conversion

Didn't we just get done telling "pjmia" a 42v wasn't worth the effort? Hahaha!

gornoman 10-10-2012 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kab69440 (Post 787980)
Didn't we just get done telling "pjmia" a 42v wasn't worth the effort? Hahaha!

Perhaps, but scottyb will do it correctly AND safely.:thumbup:

scottyb 10-10-2012 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gornoman (Post 787986)
Perhaps, but scottyb will do it correctly AND safely.:thumbup:

And scottyb has a $600 42v charger collecting dust in the garage. :lol: and Momma won't know if it can or can't climb steep mountain paths because she keeps it in the parking lot :lhmo:

Now, if you excuse me I have a 400a controller to program lol :lol:
And PJ (pajamas aka pjmia) he's getting pretty good at figuring this stuff out ~ who knows he may find a charger and follow suit, but the dang chargers are hard to come by. Often costing 2 times what a comparable 48v charger costs. and the contoller yeah it will be 48v and the solenoid, you guessed it!
So in terms of available build power, I'm leaving 6v on the table.
Pics to follow.

scottyb 10-10-2012 04:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Okay ..... this is the program I will run for this cart.
This is the typical program readout I send with each control. I keep a copy and if/when you call, I have this reference.

I'm going to put this in the cart and run it on 36v... My additional battery arrives in a day or two. This cart has 6 new Crown CR200 in it so one more under the seat will do. We get a fun little comparison on 36, then on 42v. I will get some GPS readings for the records.

gornoman 10-10-2012 04:36 PM

No half speed reverse?

scottyb 10-10-2012 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gornoman (Post 788003)
No half speed reverse?

When she is stuck in a horse pasture or backing out of an aborted creek crossing.... the last thing I want is half power reverse.

Speaking of half power I just took a little test drive, the pack was only 37v or 70% charged but an iphone app said I ran 22mph on the flats on 36v. Nice smooth acceleration, very manageable.
5 is a fairly aggressive throttle ramp up rate. But the progressive throttle pattern is fairly mild until you get to 50% and better. Gramma could drive it set up this way but when you romp on it it spins the tires. 7 is a quick enough throttle down rate to feel the brake current kick in when you let off the gas.
She's on the charger now, I will email myself some phone pics and show the controller swap out here in a bit.... gotta go PJ needs help:lol:

scottyb 10-10-2012 07:02 PM

3 Attachment(s)
1st pic = I'm the first one to pull the cover off this baby. Stock 300 amp 36v Curtis control
2nd pic = Everything I put together got this synthetic grease on it, especially all the plugs on the PDS harness adapter
3rd pic= Alltrax DXC400PDS controller. Each harness plug is unique so there is no way to plug it in wrong. I love that.
Note the 250 ANA main fuse attached to the B- terminal where it will be under the cover and away from the acidic battery vent vapors.

scottyb 10-10-2012 07:18 PM

3 Attachment(s)
1st pic is before, new batts huh?
2nd pic = Typical Alltrax install. I am using the stock solenoid for a day or 2 only. I doubt it would last much longer than that :lol:
When the other battery arrives we will be running a HD 200/800 amp 48v solenoid.
3rd = time for a test drive

Now we have to wait. Meantime, I will locate a battery hold down.

jhnmflr 10-10-2012 07:48 PM

:thumbup: