Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric Club Car (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   2012 precedent OBC and Curtis controller (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=138643)

Oldnavy 01-27-2018 08:53 PM

2012 precedent OBC and Curtis controller

Was wondering if better to bypass or remove the OBC and Curtis controller and replace with Alltrax controller. Would want to upgrade some cables, f/r switch, solenoid, etc. Will eventually get lift kit, taller tires, light kit. Would like speed over 20mph. Not sure what else needed or recommended. Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

WalterM6 01-27-2018 09:19 PM

Re: 2012 precedent OBC and Curtis controller

When you remove the OBC you will also need a DPI Charger.

Oldnavy 01-27-2018 09:37 PM

Is there advantage/disadvantage to removing OBC? What functionality do I lose?

Muddog 01-27-2018 10:40 PM

For now, I wouldn't worry over the obc as long as it working.
The first upgrades should be controller, solenoid and cables.
Go with a 500 amp alltrax, super duty solenoid and 4awg cables.
The motor in your cart can't handle 500amps, but you can dial down the alltrax amperage to stay in motor specs. I run my Precedent at 400 amps on 20 inch tires at 25MPH+ with no problem. You will need the higher amps for the torque when you go to larger tires.
To answer your obc question,the obc will not affect cart performance.
If you remove obc ,the cart loses it ability to monitor the charge.
The disadvantage: none.
Obc's suck.
You will have to buy a smart charger. It does the job of the obc much better.
I have seen a large improvement in range and battery life using DPI smart chargers.
They will maintain charge as well, by float charging.

Oldnavy 01-27-2018 11:53 PM

What about the tow/run switch?

TahoeDawgZ71 01-28-2018 10:31 AM

The OBC is not going to affect the performance of the vehicle at all. If your main goal is to increase the speed and/or torque of the vehicle, the OBC is not what you need to address. People like to remove their OBC to allow them to use a smart charger. Smart chargers offer many features that the OEM charging system does not offer to an individual owner such as yourself. The OBC has tons of benefits for fleet management from a dealer's standpoint, but for you and I, those features are useless. The OBC can be left on the cart and used with a high performance system if you'd like. I recommend replacing the controller, solenoid, and all power cables. On your vehicle, most people prefer the Alltrax XCT400 controller with a minimum of 4 gauge cables and a heavy duty solenoid. This will get you plenty of speed (mid 20s) with a huge boost in torque as well. The 400 amp controller is much more powerful than the factory controller, but not so powerful that you risk damage to the factory motor. The 500 amp controller is too much for the factory motor to handle, so if you went with 500 you'd need a motor as well, as long with heavier duty 2 gauge cables. The XCT is an awesome controller. Programming and diagnostic software is a free download and will allow you to tweak controller settings to your liking or use your laptop as a diagnostic tool in the future if there ever were an issue with your cart.

Oldnavy 01-28-2018 03:12 PM

Thank you for the great info! I was going to buy the Alltrax 400, now I'm certain of it. Any particular solenoid and charger? When I make the purchases, do instructions say how to remove OBC and Curtis controller (wiring)?

TahoeDawgZ71 01-28-2018 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldnavy (Post 1471214)
Thank you for the great info! I was going to buy the Alltrax 400, now I'm certain of it. Any particular solenoid and charger? When I make the purchases, do instructions say how to remove OBC and Curtis controller (wiring)?

Sounds good. I can help you with those questions. Just let me know. Phone line is open anytime. 706-836-7210.

Oldnavy 01-28-2018 03:27 PM

Muddog 01-28-2018 05:01 PM

You don't have to remove obc when installing an alltrax.
If you choose to remove obc, there's a stickie on how to do that.
David can hook you up with everything you need with 1 phone call.