Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   On Road Golf Carts! (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   done before (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=90580)

onemorebeer 02-20-2014 01:17 AM

done before

4 Attachment(s)
Finally building my 88 DS. Rat rod theme. Shout out to r8crer ex and many more for the help and inspiration. Then it went gas….
Rat rod…. Got to have a flat head kohler makes the power. Trying to make it fit is fun. In a Caroche body more opportunity’s!
Anyone that has followed my writings, understands my feelings about imitation companies that still after over a year cant post a dyno sheet. But anyway, Kohler flat heat powered. And some cool body mods to come

Dave in VA 02-20-2014 09:10 AM

Re: done before

4 Attachment(s)
:thumbup:

DOOmsman 02-20-2014 12:20 PM

Dave you made his work harder went the cart is on the wheels.

TerryH 02-20-2014 12:46 PM

Thought the cart was defying gravity there for a sec. :mrgreen:

onemorebeer 02-20-2014 01:18 PM

thanks! now if you can just get this starter to fit that easy!

gornoman 02-20-2014 01:27 PM

Cart looks like a Caroche, not a DS. Good luck with the build!

Ooops, didn't read your first post very well. My bad.

onemorebeer 03-24-2014 07:23 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Back to working on it, Steering shortened 6 inches. Then Back to Mounting the motor. We decided, that we could modify the stock plate, cut it down the middle, add a few inches to the center, then weld it to under the swing arm to get the clearance we need for the starter. Then that's when my brother in-law decides to look at the clutch a little more closely. The Kohler turns out to be a 1 1/8 inch shaft motor. I thought it was a inch. Should have measured that. Looking on line, they are all like that. So, options, we could pull the crank, and take and have it turned down. Not much fun, and cost about a $100. Not a option is to buy new clutches to fit, front and back, I'm guessing at least $400.
My thought was, we have a running engine, and a die grinder, my inner redneck said yes we can! We just got to get close enough to put on the CPP adapter. But instead we called a friend, pulled the spark plug, and set up the old kohler on the big lathe.

pachanga90 03-24-2014 07:01 PM

Cool project. How come you didn't use a more common 5hp Briggs flathead? You can buy tons of performance parts,and they take a ton of abuse too.They can be built to over 30 HP if you want to spend it!My brother in law just dropped $7300 on one for a Jr.dragster!!:thumbup:

onemorebeer 03-25-2014 05:07 AM

the Kohler has a great starting system, plus 15 amps of charging. At this time, not after another hot rod. I still have my vanguard cart. I could build it up later if needed. These motors are very popular with the tractor pulling crowd. And deliver some great torque numbers with very little done to them.

onemorebeer 03-25-2014 11:08 AM

clutch is bad, now got to find one.