Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric Club Car (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Hot Battery Terminal (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=144169)

SF_Wood 07-19-2018 08:18 AM

Hot Battery Terminal

1 Attachment(s)
May be an easy answer but I have a 4/12v 48v setup and it is the setup that was in the cart when I bought it. I've had it for about 2 years and has ran fine until the other day when I smelled something burning and I looked and the main positive terminal was extremely hot and had a lot of acid and had melted a couple of wires. What would cause this and what do I need to do to fix it? I load tested the battery and all is good there. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Swan 07-19-2018 09:27 AM

Re: Hot Battery Terminal

first i would remove cable those will need to be cleaned/replaced . then I would look it see if the bolt is loose within the lead (posts are hex bolts upside down cased in lead) if so it been over tightened and a new stud needs to be put in the flat lead part of the terminal

teecro 07-19-2018 09:30 AM

Localized heat damage is almost always caused by a dirty, loose and/or corroded connection... Clean everything up with a wire brush, biggest terminal on first followed by smaller connections followed up by the nut, don't use washers unless absolutely needed. Nut should just be a little bit past snug.. Don't over tighten as that will loosen the stud in the lead and cause a loose connection too....

SF_Wood 07-19-2018 10:43 AM

I will look at the terminal and see if it is loose or not, planning on cleaning it up tonight.

SF_Wood 07-19-2018 12:46 PM

The terminal post is secure and not moving. The lead has melted some. I will clean them and see if it resolves the issue. I also have new cables coming to replace the existing ones.

SF_Wood 07-20-2018 08:47 AM

Cleaned the terminal, checked the post and tightened the nut just past snug. The terminal was fine during golf(stop and go) but when riding for a long time it got really hot. The voltage on the battery pack after 3-4 miles was 48.9v. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with the terminal getting hot. Could the issue be coming from the controller/motor?

Swan 07-20-2018 11:45 AM

did you replace that cable ?

SF_Wood 07-20-2018 12:36 PM

No not yet. I'm just going to replace all of the cables and go to 2 gauge.

Tom47 07-21-2018 09:05 PM

To be sure you don't overtighten the nuts, don't use a wrench on them. Use a 1/2" nutdriver instead.

It will also be less likely to touch nearby metal or terminals and short out somewhere.

teecro 07-21-2018 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SF_Wood (Post 1523520)
Cleaned the terminal, checked the post and tightened the nut just past snug. The terminal was fine during golf(stop and go) but when riding for a long time it got really hot. The voltage on the battery pack after 3-4 miles was 48.9v. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with the terminal getting hot. Could the issue be coming from the controller/motor?

After 3-4 miles and your voltage is 48.9 volts? That is barely 60 % state of charge. How old are those battery? Sounds like one or more are going bad... Might want to take some voltage reading of each battery...