Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric EZGO (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Powerwise charger problem (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=74274)

busman9 12-26-2012 06:59 PM

Powerwise charger problem

I have a powerwise charger,when i hook it to the cart the charger hums but the gauge only reads 5 amps. I checked at the batteries and when the charger is on there is only a 5 amp increase at the batteries. I hooked another charger to the cart and the gauge went to 15 amps. Please help johnnie!:

JohnnieB 12-27-2012 07:42 AM

Re: Powerwise charger problem

1 Attachment(s)
Check the diodes.
If one is bad, replace both. 1N1184 diodes will work.

Here is a service manual for PW and PW+ chargers.
If that isn't what you have, post a picture of the faceplate.

busman9 12-27-2012 08:39 AM

Thanks johnnie,i am going to the clubhouse today will check and post when i come home

busman9 01-01-2013 11:51 AM

Johnnie, Tested the diodes-test good 50A fuse blown--replace with another 50A fuse (not the same kind) popped the fuse right away. What test is next? Thanks

JohnnieB 01-01-2013 01:33 PM

If it is blowing the 50A fuse:
1. One or both of the diodes is bad.
2. The wires in the output cable are shorted together.
3. The wires between the cart's charging receptacle and battery pack are shorted together.
4. One or more batteries in pack is bad.

busman9 01-01-2013 03:09 PM

Johnnie,The flow chart goes to the amp meter. Can the amp meter be shorted popping the fuse. The other things you stated all check good. I have hooked another charger to the cart and it charged.

yurtle 01-01-2013 03:16 PM

Unless the ammeter is shorted to the chassis, it looks like a short to the circuit anyway. Usually they fail open, and the fix is to simply "shorting" across it.

See if you have continuity from either of the meter posts to the chassis.

busman9 01-01-2013 03:24 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Attachment 77645

Attachment 77646

Attachment 77647

busman9 01-01-2013 03:27 PM

yes there is continuity from the amp meter post to the chasis board that the amp meter is mounted

yurtle 01-01-2013 03:51 PM

Try bypassing the ammeter by connecting the two leads together and see what happens.

Generally, the chassis is grounded to the house mains. I would assume the DC circuit would be isolated from this.

As an alternative, you could remove the ammeter and keep it from touching the chassis.

Just glancing at the schematic in the manual JohnnyB provided, I don't see that it's supposed to be grounded.