Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Gas Yamaha (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   82 G1 clutch issues (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=161649)

Bigblock460 03-16-2020 07:51 PM

82 G1 clutch issues

After a long drive It feels like something is slipping. Long drive meaning probably 300 yards mostly up hill non stop. When I stop and then soon restart I can hear and feel the engine running but the cart doesn’t move then something will catch and the cart runs fine. I feel this issue is linked to the clutch being hot but not sure. From cold everything hooks up good it seems. Is this normal or is there something I should be checking?

slonomo 03-16-2020 09:45 PM

Re: 82 G1 clutch issues

The clutch is supposed to.work the same whether it's hot or cold. Sounds like it's time for inspection of the clutches.

Bigblock460 03-17-2020 06:06 AM

This will be new to me. Is there something specific I’ll be looking for, are these replaceable pieces within the clutch assembly? Thanks

Lochlin 03-17-2020 07:51 AM

Crazy thought but could it be that your generator belt is the issue? Perhaps when it gets warm it is expanding just enough to lose grip. You may want to try tightening and / or replacing that belt.

When you say you can hear your engine running after a bit of haul that may not be the case. You starter could be spinning, at that's what you are hearing, but it's not actually turning the engine as the belt is old or too loose.

Bigblock460 03-17-2020 11:04 AM

I’ll check the belt and tighten if possible. Yes the belt is no telling how old.

slonomo 03-17-2020 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigblock460 (Post 1698042)
I’ll check the belt and tighten if possible. Yes the belt is no telling how old.

Check the condition of both belts. The big drive belt should be 1 3/16" wide. If it's less it needs replaced. Look for glazing on the sides of the belts where it contacts the pulley/sheaves. It should not be shiny. There should be no cracks or physical damage.

You could remove the belts and look at the clutches. The clutch sheaves/faces should be straight with no "dishing" and should be smooth and flat with no grooves.

The clutches do wear, and they do wear out. The only way to tell for sure if the clutches are worn is to remove them and disassemble them. You'll be looking for flat spots on rollers and cams, missing buttons on the secondary clutch, and of course worn parts that cause "slop".

Feel free to post pics, they will help us a lot.

Bigblock460 03-17-2020 05:16 PM

I took a video . Does this look to be functioning properly.. fixing to check belt width.

Bigblock460 03-17-2020 05:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well the video didn’t work. Drive belt is a little shy of 1 3/16”. Clutch looks to be opening up well with speed acceleration but I don’t have anything to compare it to.

slonomo 03-18-2020 01:13 PM

It's hard to tell in the photo what condition the belt is in, but it looks like the edges are worn pretty good, the cloth is peeling away is usually a good sign of wear. Belts should be replaced regularly, I don't know the hour rating of the belts, I usually inspect them. If the sides of the belt are shiny and worn then replace it.

Also, a good photo of your clutches without the belt might help us determine what condition they are in. Although, removal and inspection is always best.

If the clutches shift fully in neutral, that's a good sign. But, that doesn't mean they are acting right under a load. Sometimes a hill or a little weight can expose a worn clutch real fast.

slonomo 03-18-2020 01:16 PM

I forgot to add:

Check your clutches and belts to make sure they are clean. They must be spotless to work correctly. If there is any kind of oil or grease etc on those belts they will slip and cause issues.

Check the surrounding areas for oil leaks. If oil is leaking on the belts, that must be addressed first. A new/clean belt will only work for a short time if there is oil dripping on the belt.