View Single Post
Old 08-16-2019, 09:00 AM   #3
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: 2001 48 volt DS controller

Speed?

The stock Regen2 controllers are not made for speed. You can maybe squeeze 18 out of it on some bigger tires, but if you have a hill forget about going up it. You can unplug the speed sensor, but it's not going to make it any faster on flat ground and you'll lose the downhill speed control/regen ability. The problem with that is the stock motors can easily over-spin and blow apart if you're going downhill too fast.

As long as the cart itself is in good shape, and the price is right, plan on a controller and motor upgrade. If you want to go fast, a dedicated high speed motor will get you into the upper 20's easy on the right sized tires. But it's going to struggle on hills. If you have hills or plan to use it off-road or on sand, a torque motor will be a much better fit.

The right motor/controller setup needs to be tailored to your planned use of the cart.
What's your area like terrain-wise? Flat? Hilly? Mountains?
What kind of stuff do you plan to do with the cart? Lift kit and Bigger tires? Or lower it on street slicks?
Where will you be driving it? Streets use and dedicated cart paths? Off-road for hunting or exploring? Driving it to the beach and cruising on the sand? All important things to consider.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote