View Single Post
Old 05-04-2014, 06:24 PM   #7
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: 1990 Lifted G2 Gas Yamaha Front End Issue

This is the problem with single a arm suspensions. If the toe is not set properly and you drive on pavement, the tires "grip" the pavement and want to follow the direction of the tire. In other words, if the tires point inward toward the front (toe in), the tires want to follow that path. Going forward the tires will want to move toward each other, with raises the suspension.

You actually have the opposite. I think your toe is closer in the rear (toe out). When you back up, your tires are pointed inward toward each other, thus the suspension moves up to allow the tires to travel toward each other.

Try this: Take a long straight edge, as long as you can find. I used a 10' piece of square steel tubing. Place it on the side of the front rims. This will allow you to see how angled the wheels are. Adjust your toe so that they are as perfectly straight as possible (zero toe). Then move your cart forward and reverse like in your video. Post your result.

I had this problem with a Jake's kit installed. When I backed up, the suspension would squat almost all the way down, like two people were standing on the front bumper. Yours is just the reverse of this. The only way I could get that setup to work properly was to use the stock G1 shocks, even then there was still "squat".

1989marathon is correct about "soft shocks". Many people use atv shocks to increase travel but get into this kind of a problem because the shock is too soft and allows too much travel. Stiffer shocks will "resist" the tires from moving away/closer to each other. And yes, loose parts are also not good.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote