View Single Post
Old 02-17-2020, 12:03 AM   #7
hotwls13
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: LED lights/head/tail lights/running lights DIY kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
The two I did on our Precedents, I have 48+ coming from the pack+, to 10a weatherproof fuse holder, then to a switch on the dash, in the factory switch position. There was a little marker dot there already, so that's where I drilled the hole for my switch. Then 48 from the switch to the reducer which is mounted on the aluminum mounting plate in the battery compartment. You can either mount the reducer in the battery compartment, or there's a flat plate on the front suspension tower behind/above the steering box where the factory reducer mounts. I put mine in the battery box to hopefully avoid water/dirt intrusion. 48- and 12- are joined together and go to the Black negative wire with the Yellow Bullet Connector in the battery box. All wires run under the floor mat.
These already had a "light harness" installed and the 12v supply wiring for the kits was part of the bucket harness and went from the dash to the battery area. But even if those had not been there, I would have run new wires the exact same route, through the channels under the floor mat and then out behind the dash area to the lights in the front.
I don't have lights on the rear of either of these carts (just not necessary here).

Where you run them is up to you. Just remember that you have to run power AND ground wires for your lights, you can't ground to the frame on electric carts.

I did similar on a DS we have. Except on that one I "mounted" the reducer to the frame rail with a 4" stainless hose clamp. Ain't got time to do Everything perfect.

See that pic above with the pack positive wires... I connected my fuse holder to the Blue wire with the spade terminal because that's what it's there for.
Ok some questions and observations:

1. My 2008 DS doesn’t have channels under the rubber mat. There is a solid aluminum plate covering the whole floor/footwell. I ran the wires for my 48v volt meter under the floor, zip tied it so it wouldn’t sag. I imagine I will do the same for the other wires.

2. I’m not sure what/where the yellow bullet connector is for -48. Do u have pics?

3. I don’t have that blue connector coming off my +48 pack. I’ll have to add my own connection there.

4. I ordered everything I need (I think). My thinking is to mount the reducer in battery box under seat. That way I’m not running more 48v runs to the front of the cart.

5. I ordered a relay and was thinking of wiring it in following a diagram I got off here.

6. If I was to put in a separate switch on the 48v side, I would want it near the battery box. Then only run 12v up to the dash/new 12v dash switch them out to the lights.

7. By wiring like this, if in the future I decide to add any more 12v accessories, I could just add a fuse box near the new dash switch.

8. Main thing I’m confused about is where to run my -48 to reducer from. I’ve read a yellow/black obc wire?? Bullet connection?? Evidently needs to connect to obc so charging is correct. Just not sure what/where to tap into.

9. I’ll write up my planned wiring diagram when I get a minute and post it.

Thoughts?
hotwls13 is offline   Reply With Quote